Iko instructor certification

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Iko instructor certification

Postby Ripshade » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 pm

Who would I talk to about iko instructor certification?
Ripshade
Wind Chaser

Re: Iko instructor certification

Postby Ripshade » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 pm

I've kited 8+ years, and have taught on and off as a freelancer for that time. Definitely 50+ hrs of teaching under my belt. Just looking to get it on paper.
Ripshade
Wind Chaser

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:01 pm

As far as I know there are no instructor courses around the Chicago area. They are in Miami most of the time and take a full week to get your IKO instructor certification. After that its a $1000 fee to stay IKO instructor each year.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Kite4Life » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:48 pm

IKO requires the ITC candidate to complete the Assistant ITC- (any IKO Level 2 Instructor can run the Asst.-ITC) complete 40 hours of training before becoming eligible to become a Level 1 Instructor. I run them throughout the Fall/ Winter/ Spring here in Tampa, Florida. That course is about 800-900 bux and I can HIGHLY recommend Christoph at Miami Kiteboarding to take your ITC. He is definitely not a pushover or going to let you slide if you're not ready to be an independent instructor.
BTW, lodging in Miami for a week will cost you quite a bit more than the ITC fee.

IKO membership is 70.00 every two years and individual Instructor Liability is 250.00/yr. . (Not sure where the 1000/yr. figure is coming from?)

Either way, IKO has made plenty of management mistakes over the years, but I have to give the latest crew props for their improvements to the training program. The latest training videos and online courses are pretty good, but charging for them is a very bad decision on their part.

Not sure how things are up in Chitown regarding instruction, but down here in Fla., it's a MESS. We have 20-30 active "instructors" in Tampa Bay and 90% of them have no certification, or more importantly- no Liability Insurance. It is quickly turning into an ugly biz vs. biz battle and may end up costing us some riding spots.

Happy Kiting!
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
Kite4Life
Sand Bagger

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Kite4Life wrote:
IKO membership is 70.00 every two years and individual Instructor Liability is 250.00/yr. . (Not sure where the 1000/yr. figure is coming from?)

Happy Kiting!
http://www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

The $1000 dollars fee was from schools that I knew back home. They were getting charged by IKO $1000 to keep their IKO school status.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Return to Open Forum