surfing NOW!

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

surfing NOW!

Postby FSP » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15 am

If you want to surf, a bunch of us are heading for my place at mc. Good swell running down the lake and about to glass off and give an SUPPER or surfer the good stuff. Good day to try what the lake gives as a bonus with a an epic sunset to cap. have some bodyboards if ur just wanting chk it on a sponge.

text 708 623 3986
FSP
Zen Levitator

Re: surfing NOW!

Postby FSP » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:54 am

good to see some friends take advantage of waves without wind. 5 hrs of big drops. glassy sets on the sup and surfboard. nice water color and beautiful day. case of noodle arms.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Surfed near jetty at MC and boy I was in for some treat for sure..Not a long rides,but if you pick the right one,smooth,clean ,head high sets.First wave I caught was the best of the day and kept me smiling for the rest of the day,burned down to memory bank forever.
No wonder so many people drowning on Lake Michigan,no wind just some waves,sun,looks very friendly from beach,in water completely different scene..I had to paddle quite a lot to stay in one spot and being pushed on the rocks constantly gave me idea how fast the current is.Yay this is ocean in every way,respect the Lake..!

Looking out for the next one :D
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 pm

IVO...u aint seen nothin yet. waves actually get bigger and more powerful than when were kiting, sometimes hours after the wind stops. winter they have more density and get heavier with offshores to stand em up. every beach or sandbar has its day so dont be surprised if surfing rivals kiting one day for ya-haaa!!! its only a matter of time for all u other fellars until your smitten so dont wait forever!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:28 pm

FSP wrote:IVO...u aint seen nothin yet. waves actually get bigger and more powerful than when were kiting, sometimes hours after the wind stops. winter they have more density and get heavier with offshores to stand em up.

:?

Scoty,with great respect to all surfers here,I failed to see single guy take off on a bigger wave than I(we)do kite on Lake Michigan yet when the condition are at full peak,its not even comparable.It is not that they dont want to,its because they cant get to them...When a forecast is 10~14f the "Lake" run like a river,no one paddle past jetty to the outside where those bombs are,the current wont let them,not to mention size of the waves stacked next to each other(sometimes) wont allow that either.Kite let you to get to section where no surfer ever could get,simple as that

disclaimer:I do chase waves for living :lol:

fyi..I dont like to compare those two together at all,because its same as talking apple and oranges,both fruit but completely different

8)
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 pm

IVO wrote:Scoty,with great respect to all surfers here,I failed to see single guy take off on a bigger wave than I(we)do kite on Lake Michigan yet when the condition are at full peak,its not even comparable.It is not that they dont want to,its because they cant get to them...

That same wave you speak of when kiting cannot reach true peak power until the wind toppling effect and currents have left. It may seem big out there and something to marvel at, but will not have the same power/energy that the next shallower sandbar in will give it when the wind has stopped. The absence of wind gives it a chance to reach peak, interval time, form and cycle out this climax of energy with out wind interfering or taking away from it. Dont be mistaken, that once this small window of opportunity has occurred in cooperation to the wind having ceased, it might be smaller to the eye, but far more powerful. The mt baldy wave is pretty protected so we get some great form when the wind is up, but once the wind has left even that wave will, bowl a little more, throw out a little further, and ultimately deliver far more power. I guess you might say it does not get smaller just less big and sloped as more tubed and box like.

Your right, many surfers cant paddle out there when theres wind but wait around next one, once the wind dies and check this whole power thing for yerself.

Ive seen Mt baldy on its biggest days and even MC last week was huge, but not until the wind stopped was it truly imploding/barreling with plumes way into the air 2nd sandbar. Since you are just getting into surfing, I hope you stick around when the wind dies to see what goes down. The currents die off and its pretty easy to jump off the piers anywhere to be as deep as you can handle. try it then we can talk!! :D :D :D

And yes for me its one mission wheter on a sup, surfboard or kite: apples to apples :D
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Oh Scoty,was not my intention to turn this into which wave and when its bigger,if you believe guys surfing bigger waves and are able to get to them from jumping off the end of a jetty,please be my guest,Im not gonna repeat myself twice. :wink:
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 am

Dammit IVO.. I expected more fire out of you and hope u not gettting old. u happy man and thanks for letting me win. 1 for ScottyG and O for IVO on biggest wave of the lakes contest. I can now dream up another BS theory about other things that size does not matter with. onward my seaman friend!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Return to Where to Ride Today