How cold is the lake

Pictures and Videos of locals or just great shots. Put em here and brag to your buds about your mad skills fo-shizzle.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

How cold is the lake

Postby Misfit » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:11 pm

It's been entirely too long since i've been on the big lake. As a result, i'm not exactly in tune with temps/wetsuit to wear for tomorrow. I just looked at coast watch and it's showing lake temps along the MI coast from the mid 40's to the low 60's. Did the lake roll recently?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.
Misfit
Wind Whore

Re: How cold is the lake

Postby Pier » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Cory,

the lake rolled 2-3 weeks ago when we had the last big N and went from freaking warm to real cold.

I'm not sure how it is as of now since I haven't been in the water lately but I would recommend bringing your cold gear anyway.

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Pier
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby ironben » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:15 am

its still not bad, S Michigan buoy reads 72. i was riding shorty yesterday and it was fine.
on the warm 70+ day u can do shorts only
Last edited by ironben on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAT LADY 17M;RPM 9,12M;Nobile NHP 7m
NHP 137";2015 SS Celeritas 5.11
Ben 630space638space3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby 4w7s » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:02 am

Just to clarify, especially for new riders or those not experienced with the ever-changing and capricious water temperatures around the lake.

The mid lake buoys usually have very little to do with the water at the riding spots. The mid lake buoy might say its 70F but at a riding spot that is normally warm the water might be 50F on the same day. It all depends on prevailing winds, upwelling cycles, pressure gradients, etc. These radical temperature fluctuations and anomalies can happen in the middle of summer on the hottest day of the year.

Even a few of the guys with plenty of local knowledge get a big COLD surprise occasionally when they show up expecting 70F water that they had the previous days and realize it dropped to the 50's overnight ...and (shite) they have left their heavy suit drying out at home and only have their shorty! I have literally seen people turn blue on occasion.

It's best to expect "anything" on this lake and be well prepared for it. On many warm (air) days I've gone to the beach and I can "sense" the cold water temperature in the wind coming off the lake as soon as I step out of the van. There are only a few reliable temperature instruments in place around the lake, so it's always best to consider each spot independently.

Bottom line:
Don't mess with the cold water - don't get caught out dressed too lightly....it not fun to be cold and also very dangerous.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby ironben » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:34 pm

do you bring only one kite to the beach? hopping the forecast be right on?
sure not. :D
i have gear for cold or warm condition,so be ready for anything.
what works for me is this link, it shows the water temp in general.
http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/michigan/m54.html
FAT LADY 17M;RPM 9,12M;Nobile NHP 7m
NHP 137";2015 SS Celeritas 5.11
Ben 630space638space3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Return to Pictures and Videos