9/18 ON LAND in Naperville!

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

9/18 ON LAND in Naperville!

Postby kitekid21 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:09 am

I possess neither the time nor money to travel to Michigan City or really anywhere besides Waukegan for the correct wind direction. So, because it's a NW wind and that's really only acceptable on the other side of the lake, I've decided that I'm going to go out on my MOUNTAINBOARD on grass. There are probably a few guys with buggies who would enjoy this too. Granted, the field I fly in has a few soccer goals to dodge, beyond that it's HUGE and a great playground for those of us bitten with the wind bug. I'll be out from 10-1 or so tomorrow and who knows, maybe a bit longer. There's plenty of food in the area and since school is in session, the field will be completely empty during the day. When 3:30 rolls around, you might have some kids to dodge in addition to soccer goals :/

The field where I kite is in Naperville, just south of Neuqua Valley High School. Take Cedar Glade Rd. South to get the park area. There's a skate park and a large parking lot to the East. Park at the very East of the parking lot as close to the lake as possible. If you go on google maps, you'll see exactly how large it is and how much fun it can/will be (assuming that there isn't any rain). I'll keep posting to this thread, but I hope to see at least ONE other kiter. PM me for questions or directions.

May the winds always blow in your favor!

- Kitekid
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Re: 9/18 ON LAND in Naperville!

Postby skysurfr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Indeed you can see how sensitive this place is. I get the feeling that sometimes people think Im being over cautious. I'm not paranoid, but that doesn't mean everyone isn't out to ban us at Montrose! :-P

Both the bird watchers and the kayak rental folks have it out for us. The bird people have videos of kiteboarders in the bird area. If and when push comes to shove they will be ready to make their case.

In this case, you did the right thing. You had a problem, self rescued, and left the bird area asap.

I would appreciate a note on here, a txt, or a call when this stuff happens. If I get a call from the city, I can be prepared with a response.

Stay safe!

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: 9/18 ON LAND in Naperville!

Postby kitekid21 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:59 am

I believe you posted on the wrong thread.... I got excited that someone might join me out on the grass. :(
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Return to Where to Ride Today