Monday 9/24 kiting spots?

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Monday 9/24 kiting spots?

Postby kitekid21 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm seeing SW winds for tomorrow around 20mph... I'm not sure where the spot would be for those conditions. Worst case scenario, I'll be Kiting in Naperville on grass.
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Re: Monday 9/24 kiting spots?

Postby West » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:21 am

THE ENTIRE COASTLINE OF LAKE MICHIGAN ON THE MICHIGAN SIDE............can you say PURE MICHIGAN..........sunny, windy, wavy, with more SUN, WIND, and WAVES!!!!!!!!!!!

Running the shoreline from South Haven to Holland with the BROS; taking Captain Toeside over to ride with Big T, Railgrab, Blueberry, DW, da Crowdpleaser, Breeze, and the Kid........32 miles of deserted coastline a cloudless sky and endless waves, and who knows what adventures........gonna be one of the epic rides, I can feel it as sure as the sun is shining in the sky and leaves are shaking on the trees....... 8)
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 am

The wolf will be howlin and b sure to save ur south haven trips up for oct when at 8am in chicago its 55 degrees, trees are bent and a full lake blow starting at the waters edge. This is the wave day you dont want to miss. See the scrappers round 1.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:21 am

Finally a true MI SW!!... been a rarity lately it seems! Can't make the trip today tho... :-(

Gonna try to score a quickie at Wolf... anyone else?!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby kitekid21 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 pm

I ended up sticking to land. It was gusty, but enough for some consistent 15-20ft jumps. I'll keep wolf in mind in the future. Did many people show up there? Also, what's the water temp this time of year?
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:27 am

made it down to Saugatuck with the crew....it was a sunny windy FALL day with hammerin' winds and many waves!!!!!!! 7's and 9's.......hit Saug and the wind increased a bit and turned side-shore, the waves were peeling and backlit, quite the spectacle as we sat up in the parking lot enjoying some refreshments........notch another one for the bros....shoreline skipping 8)
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 am

bunch a helpless lil wavelets rolled in to the haven but nonetheless me and the fellas had a bunch a fun wrappin out the thin lipped knee walls. "herosurfin" always puts u back on trak. found a couple sets here and there to offer a lil cutty air drop to make the day. real good day for ramps and air
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:03 am

yeah the waves were amall and a bit junked up by the pier earlier in the day as well; they got cleaner and increased in size just a few miles down by Packard Park....that's the beauty of the dwndrs, is that you get all kind of conditions along the way. By the time we hit Saug, a slightly onshore wind had given way to sideshore conditons and peelin' waves bout head and a half as we watched the sun dip to the horizon. Amazing when we got back to da Haven the waves were nil, and the wind had turned offshore, while just up the coast 23 miles, it was firing.......gotta love the BIG LAKE......... 8)
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm

"bout head and a half"

man i thought the lemonade was only drank on the south end...whhoooowee haaa sounds like some mikes hard lemonade..that made my day cowboy.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm

glad to make you smile there Scotty.... :) Yeah Saugatuck is reknown as a great windsurfing beach and has several sandbars that line up nicely on a SW; when the wind turned side-shore it lined up perfectly with the peeling waves....scene right out of dreamland, with the waves being backlit as the sun went down........that's the beauty of the downwinders, the lake is always changing and surprises abound, I had never seen Saugatuck break that clean!!!!!!!!! So nice when you get it goooooood, and it is amazing how fleeting the conditions can be.....

We ended up the day in da haven with the downwind crew and Eroc eating salmon off the tailgate that Bob had caught and smoked, yum yum....went up to Clementine's and had a bowl of gumbo to top it all off.......couldn't have been any better, it was Jerry's first downwind run on Lake Michigan....windy, wavy and sunny!!!!!!!!!

Easy to judge the size of the waves when you are watching your buddy rip wave after wave right next to you, makes it rather special as well..........the seven of us would trade off leading the pack and following the pack, weaving in and out of the waves in a random way, within several yards of one another all the way down the coast, often just feet off the shoreline, kites zigzagging like dragonflies on the breeze......once in a while a kite would go down and one of your buddies would come to check it out, then off the train would go again....jumping waves, riding waves, hooting and a hollering, hand slapping, and smiling like no tomorrow; sometimes bumpy, sometimes smooth, some close-outs, some reelers, with many turns laid down by all, a few spins, and countless jumps, all with the dunes shining above you and deserted beaches to greet your every tack..........it's not the heighth of the jump, or the size of the wave that matters; it's the amount of fun being shared amongst compadres that is important....and there was plenty to go around!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby IVO » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Nicely said West,sounds like you guys scored..again.. :wink: Would love to be on this one with Jerry and BROs,next time!!!

from yesterday,you know DA spot

fyi.picture isnt mine,just sharing the Beauty

Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Return to Where to Ride Today