Wanted LW TT board

If you got some new digs, thinkin its gonna help your kiting step-up to the next level, blow out your used gear here and watch that grom shred harder than you on your old kite.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Wanted LW TT board

Postby PhillB » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 pm

I am looking for a light wind board that suits our local conditions. Any recommendations and leads on a TT for sale? PhillB
PhillB
Kiter Noob

Re: Wanted LW TT board

Postby dbur » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby 4w7s » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 pm

PhillB wrote:I am looking for a light wind board that suits our local conditions. Any recommendations and leads on a TT for sale? PhillB

What is your weight, skill level, your kite types/sizes, and how light of wind are you hoping to ride in?

Not all "light wind" boards are the same. I have a 120cm board that I can ride in the same light wind as my 154 Door - just totally different ride characteristics.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Jimbo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Roberto has a good point about what skill level are you at and how low of wind do you want to ride in. I have actually kited on Dbur's lowrider board in 7 knots of wind with my 17m. It is a smooth and easy board to ride.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby PhillB » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Good questions and thanks for the help. I am looking to maximize my time on the h2o to progress and ride in as light wind as possible within reason. My stats:
- 150 lbs
- 9m & 11m bow kites for now
- Riding upwind, working on transitions, not jumping yet

I fully realize everyone has their personal preferences, stylistic differences and interests--all of which play a large part in what a rider likes and is "right" for them. Also, I'd prefer to try out a few boards before I buy. But since this isn't ideal, which is why I made this inquire, I hope to narrow my choices by gaining insight from kiters who have more experience and ridden a lot more boards than me.

For my size, experience and interests, I am considering a board in the 145 to 150 cm length and mid-40 cm and slightly above width.

PhillB
PhillB
Kiter Noob

Postby Jimbo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:13 pm

PhillB

A big board is not necessarily a light wind board, it is just a regular board for bigger people! If you are looking for a light wind board make sure it is designed for light winds. There is a big difference between the two.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby dbur » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:49 pm

you may want to check out Epic Oxygen or one of the older boards like LF WLF LTD 140 - it has some rocker so it works quite well in chop (you may be able to find used one cheap), at your body weight don't get anything bigger than 140 in length, just my opinion...
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby 4w7s » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 pm

PhillB wrote:For my size, experience and interests, I am considering a board in the 145 to 150 cm length and mid-40 cm and slightly above width.

PhillB

Generally speaking you will see the more effective lightwind boards with either a "door" shape or a fairly wide board with a boxy outline, and fairly flat rocker (unless you want to start talking about directional race boards), but since you specify TT I'll stick with that.

The "door" shape will IMO be more efficient upwind in light air, whereas other boards might have a more versatile feel. In my experience boards over 44cm are a bit awkward for riders of your weight. For heavier riders with larger feet a wider board might feel more natural. I weigh 160# so that's a pretty close point of reference for you. I've been doing this for a few years and have ridden virtually every shape of board out there.

My personal lightwind weapon is a 139x40 Spleene "Session 39" and I'd pit this board against any other TT in light wind. The Spleene 54 Door (154x42) is a cushier ride and obviously slightly longer and wider ( + 5.9" x .79") and is extremley efficient in light wind. The key to the Door shapes efficiency is quick planing and quick generation of apparent wind because they can point so well. With your 11m you could probably go upwind in 13 kts or so. In any case light wind technique will play a big part in the performance you can ultimately produce with any board.

I am sure some people are going to say they can go upwind in all sorts of light wind with this kite and board or that...but I honestly feel that anything under 10 kts starts becoming rather pointless, even with a big Flysurfer kite. I usually lose my interest when it goes under 12kts and I have a very efficient 15m kite and access to efficient boards...so you can paint your own picture of "light wind" reality as you wish...if you want to (try to) kite in under 10 kts more power to you. Going upwind on any board in 7 kts seems a bit unrealistic unless it's a race board - but I'd like to see it done anyway.

I was first exposed to the Spleene boards when I was teaching in SPI about 6 or 7 years ago. The guy I worked for at Air Padre was riding the 59 Door all the time and he always had a kite that was 3-4m smaller than everyone else and he weighed 185#. He was boosting airs and doing all sorts of tricks with it and this was certainly against all the convention down there at the time. I started to use the various Spleene Doors for teaching and they were a smashing success for people.

While you can "trick" with a Door it does require some extra finesse. I ride my Doors with a single middle fin at each end which make the ride a lot nicer. The dynamic flex pattern of the board allows it to absorb chop and power when loaded up. A more conventionally shaped board is obviously easier to land tricks with but then there is also some sacrifice in lightwind performance.

If you want to try the 54 Door (which is for sale) you are welcome to do so. You can also compare it to the 39 Session (which I have decided not to sell). I am over in Muskegon Michigan. Send me a PM with your contact info and we can set something up.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:54 am

Hello Phil

I have a 154 spleen door that I would be willing to sell also. I am located here in Chicago if you are interested shoot me a pm.

Ben
7,9,12m Bandit V, Infinity V2, 135 xenon, 154 door
Ben
Pump Master

Return to Kiteboarding Equipment for Sale