Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Maui? Advice?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Maui? Advice?

Postby skysurfr » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Im looking at a 10 day trip in November. Im not looking to just kite....some other activities would be nice too. Snorkle / Dive/ Kayak / Hike/ drink/ drink/ drink/ and maybe get a drink along the way.... whatever.

Anyone been to Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, or Maui recently? Any advice on where to stay? condo's seem to vary unit to unit.

thanks.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Maui? Advice?

Postby adseguy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:40 pm

10 days.....Cozumel you will get bored quickly. It's extremely touristy and relatively small. Don't know about the others.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Re: Playa del Carmen / Cozumel / Maui? Advice?

Postby xwindsurf » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:53 pm

I love Maui but November is not that great wind-wise (although on average it is better than the best month in Chicago). Some friends of mine went to Brazil where it is the prime season but logistics (long flight, 8 hour taxi ride) are not that great.
You didn't think about SPI? Some diving if you really want it, hikes on the dunes, kayaks are available too. Drinking - sure!
PM me if this sounds remotely convincing
======
As for Cozumel/Playa: I was there three times in late fall/winter. The wind was very iffy plus the windward side on Cozumel didn't have a launching spot at that time, and the rocks looked brutal - although maybe there is a site now. Diving was awesome, snorkeling so-so (the good stuff is too deep), and the trip to the ruins in http://www.chichenitza.com/ was very memorable
I don't have to tell you about drinking scene in a major Mexican resort, right?
Playa de Carmen can be reached in 45 (?) minutes by a fast boat from Cozumel so you can see it as 1 destination. Cenotes (caves), an easy trip from Playa, offer diving and snorkeling that was among the best dives I've ever done. One memorable moment: we came to the surface in a small chamber full of vampire bats!
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Return to Open Forum