December Kitesurfing

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

December Kitesurfing

Postby dawidp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Planning a trip mid December, and found this website http://www.windresorts.com/Top_Wind_Destinations.html. Do you guys find their recommendations valid?

High Wind
Antigua,Aruba,Barbados,Bonaire,Coche,Los Roques,Margarita,Tobago

Waves
Antigua,Aruba(Barcadera),Barbados,Puerto Rico

Flat Water
Aruba,Barbados (Oistins),Bonaire,Coche,Los Roques,Margarita,St. Martin,Tobago

Cheers,
Dawid
dawidp
Board Monkey

Re: December Kitesurfing

Postby sarlush » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:04 am

I can only speak for Aruba, as that's the only place I've been (it's where I took my kite lessons!), but I loved it there. The water is super flat with offshore wind around the Fishermens' Huts area, and is shallow for a pretty long way out thanks to a reef. There are a couple kite schools there and Aruba Active Vacations, the one we used, has a boat to rescue you if you get into trouble with the offshore, too :wink: But farther south on the island are Boca Grandi and a few other spots I'm less familiar with, that have onshore wind and some waves. I think they've just gotten past their less-windy season and are starting to get some stronger winds but definitely check WindAlert or something to see if it's what you want. If you do choose Aruba, the guys at AAV would actually be really great resources on kite spots, as well as local places to eat and stuff - and there's always someone there to help you launch and land. They have windsurfing rentals as well, as do several other places around the high-rise hotels.
Sarah
sarlush
Sand Bagger

Postby FSP » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 pm

GO TO BARBADOS!! Best trip i ever had. Spent 6 weeks there and Its one of a few world class breaks that wind comes from the left. cool culture and lots of amazing scenery and history as well. The flying fish are a trippy and the island is magical. Any level of surfing exists, again in world class breaks.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby dawidp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks for the tips. I realized that the list I posted is only of the Caribbean. From what I've read their rainy season ends in Dec and strongest winds occur closer to April. I'm also looking at NW Brazil and Thailand, although Caribbean has a huge benefit of being closer and cheaper!

Dawid
dawidp
Board Monkey

Postby Annie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Dawid!

Cumbuco, Brazil is fantastic this time of year! My favorite place ever! It is a bit of a hassle to get there, and a little pricey, flying into Fortaleza. But...as soon as you arrive everything is super cheap. Went last November/December, stayed at the Meeting Point in Cumbuco, 5 minute walk to the beach, and did downwinders everyday to the flat water lagoa do cauipe. Flew mostly our 7s and 9s. Met lots of really great people from all over the world. I can send you photos and give you more tips if you're interested. We are going again in a couple weeks, would live to see you there! Annie
Annie
Board Monkey

Postby Northerner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 am

If you want an adventure and full on kiting Brazil is the place that time of year. We went in August a few years ago and had a blast at the start of the season. Three Words: Dune buggy downwinder

Do not go to Thailand if your goal is kiting. Great country, but SE Asia is not the best for wind.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum