Maui---

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Maui---

Postby skysurfr » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:43 am

I arrived in Maui and within 12 hours the wind dried up.

Had a great morning snorkel with Eels, Mantas, and Turtles.

Visited the Naish loft and chatted with the designers for a while. Found out an interesting fact about the inflatable SUPS. They have strings inside them between the deck and the bottom to prevent the whole thing from looking like a giant lemon. I was amazed at the range of SUPS Naish now has.

For those of you looking for more flat water distance...the designers highly suggest the Glyde Boards. These are thick and pointy boards. I'll try to demo one or two before returning to Chicago.

The wind hates me here too.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: Maui---

Postby zulutimer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:30 am

Thats pretty selfish of you to go to Maui just to bring on the doldrums. You should change your handle to Windless!
Paul
zulutimer
Kite Crew in Training

Postby IVO » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Impossible Mike,you are in sacred place :D

Roman and Pavel flew in yesterday,you got fresh trades rolling in from Tuesday up!No wind,go explore the island is beautiful.

weihes ridge trail

iao needle trail

Bamboo forest,Hana,West coast,Volcano,Paia,the choices are endless..pick up first guide book and off an adventure you are.

Surfs up all the time,either easy going waves around Lahaina or heart pumping waves of Hookipa stratching all the to Waiehu Heights and "Big Lefts" on CentalWest side of the island.
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:53 pm

damnzz i scrolled down and bout jumped outta my seat seein an ivo monster monkey popped outta the forest!!! no shiz man, you coulda warned me that was comin :shock: please dont do that out the back on a wave my friend. :shock:
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:03 am

Hit a lul for the first few days here in Maui, which was fine. It gave me time to give friends a tour of the island, swim with the dolphins, snorkel etc.

Finished a third day of riding today. 12M the first day, 8m over head high yesterday, 8 m today chest to head high. 100+ kites out at times. Hit the third swell of the season. Water and wind are warm.

Was down at Lanes and there 's was a rock painted.... "West was here...but you should go back to Kanaha..."

Kanaha is a madhouse of kites...150 kites on the beach and water....falling from the sky launching and landing. lines over lines. God bless the locals who put up with rude kiteboarders.

Theres a few others from Chicago here.

Ill do a full report on the plane ride home.
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby West » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:07 am

glad you are getting some wind Mike......hard to beat Maui, even when it ain't blowing. Hope you make it into the Paia Fish Market for an Ahi burger (medium rare).....

yeah we always launch at pro beach and head downwind to the "skate park", outside the waste facility; no crowds, and so easy to get back upwind, great reforms on the inside to play around in.... :wink: the launch at lanes is sooooo nasty, gotta wear booties and even then it is always a roll of the dice on getting out and coming in safely..... :shock: the real ticket at Kanaha is to rig at 10:30 and be on the water by 11 to miss the crowds, and to finish up the day with the sunset sesh when the crowds dwindle.......

have fun and make it up into IAO valley if the opportunity arises.....my favorite place on the island to eat is Ichiban up in wailuku next to the courthouse, hard to find but well worth it....stand in line take-out buffet style......cheap and wonderful!!!!!

NO KA OI!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:05 pm

150 kites? dare i say gimme the chills and some nw at miller...looked a touch like maui last sesh i might add.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Kevin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Yeah and it's kite at your own risk here in Maui. 3 shark attacks on the island in the last month, including one at Kanaha (kite beach) - on an SUP rider. Randomly ran into Mike, and of course our local windsurfers/kiters Roman and Paul are here for their annual trip.

Besides suffering from what I'm diagnosing as the first concussion of my life after a bad crash the other day, been a great trip. Little to no wind first two days but cranked rest of the week. Unfortunately heading back tonight.

West I won't forget my first trip to Maui a few years ago when I ran into you, pretty awesome giving me boosting tips while on the water. Later I saw you ripping it up in the waves solo at Lanes. Have scoped that area out to consider doing a downwinder from there, just seems a little too sketchy. Maybe someday hopefully.
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:24 pm

nice to know that the Chicago crew is having a blast......yeah I remember that day vividly Kevin. Glad that you still got the stoke buddy!!!!!!! Downwinder from Lanes next time......gotta love those palm trees swaying in the breeze..........
West
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:27 am

Another 10M / 8M day at Kanaha.

I just head to the outside and ride the reef there's only a few out there.

It is a magical island. Looking at condos before heading back home tomorrow night.

Quote of the day..."How many bodies have you found while body dragging?"

Mike
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby IVO » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:47 am

No Ka 'Oi Mike :wink:
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum