South Padre Island TX Trip –Great Opp to Learn Kiteboarding!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: South Padre Island TX Trip –Great Opp to Learn Kiteboard

Postby xwindsurf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Hey, Jimbo, My record so far was a Utah trip with 17 people in the house. We didn't settle on spaghetti. One evening, there was a proper steak dinner, each piece made to order, with grilled asparagus, a bucket of salad, and baked potatoes...
We'll have to sort out logistics but you can count on my coordination and guidance.
Once we know who's going, and for what dates, we can ask who's for cooking together, and who's not, and plan accordingly.
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby skysurfr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 am

I think the house is a good idea, sorry if I made it sound otherwise. I suspect some won't want to stay or will bring family and want to be on their own. Perhaps theres someone who wants to drop in for a few days and not the whole time.

I found rooms down to $28/nt and cars for $15/day on kayak.com for the dates you mentioned.

I'll be in Maui paying $130/nt for a condo, and $18 day for a car. Grrrrr......
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby xwindsurf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Hey Guys,
With just a week before the trip, maybe it would be good to know who's going, for how long, and who's interesting in shopping for food and cooking together.
Mike seems too busy to bother him with this, so perhaps you guys can PM me your email addresses and/or phone #s so we can make some plans.
Also, on previous trips, taking your favorite movies on DVDs worked great for those long evenings but with wi-fi and Netflix, it might not even be necessary.
Waiting for your replies
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby kwk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 am

When in SPI you should go to www.daddysrestaurant.com. Best cajun seafood I have had anywhere. West can attest as well. Get a lb of the New Orleans shrimp. The Bayou and the Mussette are also excellent.
Keith
kwk
Master of Kite

Postby xwindsurf » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:06 pm

** RED TIDE UPDATE**
http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story ... .UJabO8XA-
but on the other hand:
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/hab/
So let's keep our fingers crossed yet let's be prepared.
For those who are going there, and are not familiar with it, it's a microscopic algae that clogs gills, and causes fish to suffocate. The result: thousands of dead fish on the shore, and throat/eye irritation for you, the stronger the wind and the sea spray, the worse the symptoms.
Practical considerations: be very careful while walking with your kite up on the beach. We had 3 separate incidents of people stepping on dead fish, having their skin pierced by the fish bones, and ending up in the emergency room with an allergic reaction + infection that was serious to life-threatening. The doctors, luckily, knew the situation very well there, and IVs and 2-3 days of rest was enough but still... So, I suggest take booties with you, they might not offer complete protection but at least some.
If you are just learning, and your kite lands in the water often, and stays there for a while, you might have dead fish picked up by the lines when you re-launch. It's a bit gross but no injuries from it as far as I know. Just don't keep your mouth open ;)
The coughing and eye irritation is much worse on the sea side. Some guys needed swimming goggles for downwinders on bigger days, just a thought, however silly it might look
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby West » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:16 pm

we eat at Daddy's every night....for $10 you can get a fresh piece of fish and fixins, and it will be the best cajun that side of New Orleans.....simply put it is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The gumbo is spectacular as well......
West
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:58 am

xwindsurf wrote:** RED TIDE UPDATE**
http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story ... .UJabO8XA-
but on the other hand:
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/hab/
So let's keep our fingers crossed yet let's be prepared.
For those who are going there, and are not familiar with it, it's a microscopic algae that clogs gills, and causes fish to suffocate. The result: thousands of dead fish on the shore, and throat/eye irritation for you, the stronger the wind and the sea spray, the worse the symptoms.
Practical considerations: be very careful while walking with your kite up on the beach. We had 3 separate incidents of people stepping on dead fish, having their skin pierced by the fish bones, and ending up in the emergency room with an allergic reaction + infection that was serious to life-threatening. The doctors, luckily, knew the situation very well there, and IVs and 2-3 days of rest was enough but still... So, I suggest take booties with you, they might not offer complete protection but at least some.
If you are just learning, and your kite lands in the water often, and stays there for a while, you might have dead fish picked up by the lines when you re-launch. It's a bit gross but no injuries from it as far as I know. Just don't keep your mouth open ;)
The coughing and eye irritation is much worse on the sea side. Some guys needed swimming goggles for downwinders on bigger days, just a thought, however silly it might look

That's some disturbing shizz!

SPI guest list sent to all so we can coordinate the happs! Can't believe we're less than a week away already!! Warm wind, here we come!!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 am

Palm trees, sun, 84° and... WIIINDDD!!!!! Excited for the rest of our crew of 20 to arrive! I think we picked the perfect time frame guys and girls!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:15 pm

one word for you buddy...............DADDY"S :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:23 pm

West wrote:one word for you buddy...............DADDY"S :wink:

...looked and pointed to it on the way in. :wink:
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:33 am

are you tooooooo sore to post Mike.....updates pls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:02 am

Actually, accompanied by a glass of wine, after consuming the late grillins the crew prepped last night, I went in to full zombie mode out on the balcony while the SPI breeze continued in to the night before dragging my pummeled body off for a rare 9 hour slumber. Every single muscle in my body cried out as I peeled it off the mattress this morn to the kitchen for a nourishing replenishment. Kited the previous day from 10a 'till dark, screamingly lit on a fully depowered 7M for most the day! Good thing it was blasting almost 40kt gusts this morn as things turned around from the North. Gave us a well deserved break & allowed those who needed to catch up on work an opportunity until things calmed down enough to whip out the 7s again. :) Yeah buddy, were 4 for 4, looking for an early rise to catch #5 first thang!!

Marilys has been rockin' the skills in to shape of the newest apprentices who will grace the Chi-Town crew with the latest bunch of safe, independent kiterboarders. In fact, I think everyone on this trip'll be comin' back better kiters!

And Tom has definitely taken charge of the after kiting nutriments! He has assembled the crew for massive shopping trips, delegated the sous chefs & awarded us all with some of the finest fixins on any kite trip I've been a part of! So far some of the most prime steaks & potatoes, then local jumbo shrimp & pasta...prepped with fresh herbs & sided with crisp, grilled veggies! As is typical in this sport, our Chi crew consists of a blending of individuals from a few different countries. But we're all riding the same wave...truly an experience to behold. And more experiences to come this week!

Here's to the Chi crew back home...hope some of you can join us on the next one!...
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Jimbo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:30 am

Looks like an awesome trip :D save some wind and that fine Texas hospitality for 5 more of us coming down on Wed.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:40 am

Jimbo wrote:Looks like an awesome trip :D save some wind and that fine Texas hospitality for 5 more of us coming down on Wed.

Just gettin' it warmed up for the rest of you Jimbo! Be sure to let the rest of the crew know to bring their full 3mm suits... looks like it's gonna stay North for the week.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Sweet! Hope to see those new faces on the beach next year tearing it up. Have fun and bottle up some of that wind for us on a nice summer day here next year.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:07 am

Jackpot!!! 9 days in a row of quality SPI winds! What a sweet trip with prime kiting, companionship, cooking & even karaoke, shared with our Chi crew as well as with locals! As the wind was light today and Marilys & I decided our departure, I started missing the island already as I packed the Woody Wind Wagon and we embraced with the crew & natives for our goodbyes. As we approached the bridge over to the mainland, my eyes welled a bit as Marilys & I expressed out loud our mutual sadness this was all coming to an end… and the fact that we're lookin' at a 30-40 degree temp drop in the next 24 hours. :wink: As I type, Marilys is navigating all 3 tons of the loaded wagon approaching the Arkansas boarder…. 'bout 14 hrs 'till my own bed again.

Thanx for all who came together to not only make this trip a possibility, but to make it an amazing experience. Until next time…..
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Sounds great Mike, so stoked you guys scored BIG......but it is of course TEXAS!!!!!!!!! I'm sure everyone had a blast and learned alot...... :D

I do have to ask you one question, "did you make it to Daddy's?"
West
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:54 pm

West wrote:Sounds great Mike, so stoked you guys scored BIG......but it is of course TEXAS!!!!!!!!! I'm sure everyone had a blast and learned alot...... :D

I do have to ask you one question, "did you make it to Daddy's?"

You know it brutha... my almond crusted, pan broiled fish with crab fingers in a 3-cheese cream sauce was taaaasty! We had to rearrange the crowded establishment a bit in order to squeeze in our mob so we could all dine as one. 8)
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Aw yeah now that's my kind of party...........almost like I was there. Glad you made it in to my favorite place!!!!!! :D
West
Wind Whore

Postby Suse » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Hey! This indeed was an awesome and fun trip! Thanks a lot to all of you for welcoming another stranger in your group! I definitely had a blast and learned so much on this trip, am more than keen to hang out more doesn't matter if wind is involved or not! See you soon and hopefully on another trip!
Lots of thanks to you Mike for organizing this trip, I know this involved some patience to make all those individuals happy!
Susanne
Suse
Kiter Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum