SPAM

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

SPAM

Postby adseguy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:19 am

Please direct all complaints to V and bcruz who I warned that changing the method of spam filtration and not upgrading would do this. I've haven't been doing this for 10+ years and not learned a few things. Oh well *sigh*. :|
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Re: SPAM

Postby Pier » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Is it possible to remove the accounts that are clearly spammers and disable the automatic subscription process until this gets resolved?
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby adseguy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:51 pm

I did it "temporarily" for 1.5 years begging to get more control the whole time. I'm not doing this again. Sorry, I feel the message will be more understood this way by, yes, pissing people off. Like I said, best thing you can do is send bcruz or V a PM, email, text, whatever to grab their attention.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby IVO » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 pm

adseguy wrote:I did it "temporarily" for 1.5 years begging to get more control the whole time. I'm not doing this again. Sorry, I feel the message will be more understood this way by, yes, pissing people off. Like I said, best thing you can do is send bcruz or V a PM, email, text, whatever to grab their attention.

I would expect "more" from you buddy.Still remember when you were "happy as a hippo" once you got "keys to the treasury" of this forum.Certainly letting spam running wild on this forum and letting people to get piss off by this isnt solution.Hope you are still up for the task man,you were(are) good mod.Dont let sum young buck run you over 8)
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks for giving me your opinion IVO, but place yourself in my shoes.

Yeah, I was happy that bcruz wanted to hand over the site so I could update it. He actually didn't. he just made me a MOD. I really don't care about being a mod, sure I'll clean up some junk once in a while, but what I really wanted to do was update this site with relevant content and bring it out of 2005 into 2013. Mod status isn't that. For a YEAR AND HALF I've tried talking to V and bcruz about "handing the keys over" or at least giving me enough access to update the site with security patches and little gadgets for us to use. I had to follow up dozens of times just for a response. I got tired of the limited back and forth movement it and just said fuck it. I've given my generosity out in answering the e-mails EVERYDAY for that time and handling spam with nothing to show for it. If something is screwed up please don't blame me, but them. I've given a lot to this place and I'm trying to give more, but I can't without the right people behind me....that's you guys :D . So help me out and pester them to give me access to the site OR deal with the spam, because I've run out of generosity. I didn't want it to come to this, but I think I'm being taken advantage of with all my help.

Let's not get confused, it's not like I spend hours on this every day, but it's still a Pain in the ass that no one sees me do.....Thanks for the not so grateful support....YOU DO IT
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby IVO » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 pm

adseguy wrote:
Let's not get confused, it's not like I spend hours on this every day, but it's still a Pain in the ass that no one sees me do.....Thanks for the not so grateful support....YOU DO IT

You must have missed this part buddy+I know that story

IVO wrote:Hope you are still up for the task man,you were(are) good mod.Dont let sum young buck run you over 8)

fyi.Im slow,blind,bald mofo who likes to kite,"mod" isnt place for me :lol:
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:53 pm

I hope you understand my position whether you agree with it or not.

I'll clean this up in a few days, but I want enough people to see it to realize what I'm doing and that they should contact bcruz and tell him to give me access or hand the site over. We had good talks for a while, but he sees no reason to do it....hopefully the community can show him why now. My voice is too small, but as a group we can tell him a little louder.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby adseguy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:40 pm

I've got something in the cooker right now. It's pretty sweet, but still has a few months for release. I want it to be perfect
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby sailfish » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Adrien,
Seeing all that spam polluting the forum makes me really appreciate what you are doing to clean it up and keep it usable. Thanks for clearing it out for so long, I'll send a message to those guys.

Everyone,
Sure a new forum could be started, but there is years of built up information that is really helpful both on the main page and also the questions and advice on the various parts of the forum. For example I blew out a boot a few weeks ago and found some great advice that had been posted in the past which helped me make a decision. For someone in my situation with little time to hang around beaches collecting contact info and advice it is a great resource. If we don't want people to get all inspired to start kiting and then go wreck themselves and others, getting kiting banned, we need resources like this as an on-ramp.
Dave
sailfish
Chop Wrestler

Postby sailfish » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 pm

I was writing my last post when you posted yours Adrien, I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.
Dave
sailfish
Chop Wrestler

Postby Kevin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:29 am

This is kind of f'n ridiculous.

Adrien I support your efforts.

My take is there is probably an inappropriate sense of entitlement from the people who started this forum.

-Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:11 am

HAHAHA. I just got an email for a new registration. I then logged into the php admin tool and saw that V took care of the spam (short term) and now I'm stuck back to approving names.

NO V, that's not how this works, please respond on this forum your position.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby V » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:14 am

For a YEAR AND HALF I've tried talking to V and bcruz about "handing the keys over" or at least giving me enough access to update the site with security patches and little gadgets for us to use.

Gee, you asked me twice and Brandon what once? Like you are the martyr here...gee Adrien you worked SOOOO hard! please.

My take is there is probably an inappropriate sense of entitlement from the people who started this forum.

I've worked 10,000 hours on this site, and provided it for free to everyone for ten years. What sense of entitlement should i have since I never made a cent????

There are a lot of people here that can email me or text me if there is a problem. No one did until 10 mins ago. Ivo thanks. You can blame Adiren since he volunteered. he has my email. my text. he could have simply switched it backto admin approval. I guess after 10000 hours and 10 years of shit I've put up with I can't spend extra time with my family and take time off kiting. I have to PLEASE ALL YOU PEOPLE NON-STOP FOREVER!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Kevin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 am

The forum's obviously been a great resource for many years, it just seems like there's people like Adrien willing to help to make it even better.

The only thing I've personally continuously asked for is for compatibility with application like Tapatalk which many other sites use (i.e. bayareakiteboarding.com) which makes it much much easier to use with mobile devices.

-Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:50 am

I am an ignorant computer illiterate Texan (who are on the verge of seceeding from the nation at this time)..........the amount of knowledge and time required to keep this site up and running is beyond my feeble mind, and I appreciate the efforts of all who have helped to do so. It has provided a wealth of info for many, many kiters: it has educated "newbies", provided directions to launches, helped kiters sell gear, and fostered relationships; just to mention a few of the things that this site has provided.........

It is an ALL-OUT embarassment for the founders of this site to be so ungraciously lambasted, it is an utter joke without a damn punch-line.........reminds me very much of the shiz that Mike has to deal with in order to keep Montrose open............RESPECT, RESPECT, RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!! There's a hell of a lot more work involved in building a dam, than to maintain one.........

V and Brandon have had several moderators, and computer-savvy kiters who over the years have aided in keeping this site functioning, and for that all kiters should be appreciative. I would be the first in line to buy you a beer and to give you my personal thanks Adrien....but you are way out of line on this my friend, obviously you do not know V very well........so let me fill you in a bit buddy. NOONE has kited the Chicago area for as long, discovered as many kiting launches, or aided as many beginner kiters than V has......that much is indisputable!!! The amount of time that he and Brandon have spent to develop and maintain this site has been tremendous. So let's all show them the respect that they deserve, and recognize the selfless contribution that they have given to the sport that we all love: I personally log on daily, and enjoy the wonderful benefits that it has provided me, and am beyond grateful for all of those who have given their time and effort to make this possible.

Obviously you have been frustrated in caretaking the site, but attempting to bring about a public debacle was a mistake, Deal with the SPAM and move on, Adrien. IF you are incapable of that, then simply step aside and someone else will fill that role.........one of the best things about the chicago kiting scene is that we all help each other out all the time, it is part of our nature and sets us apart from other locales......be part of the team.....if your desire is to start-up your own site, then goodluck on your quest.

Happy Kiting to all, West
Last edited by West on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
West
Wind Whore

Postby V » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:54 am

I use my phone 90% of the time with this forum. I don't see a problem with it but will look into it. As for forum content I honestly don't care who moderates or administers this forum or any other forum.

Let me tell you I'm pretty pissed off right now. For 10yrs I've dealt with all the stupid crap rlative to this forum: people registering and unable to type in a simple keyword, foreign and domestic spam that is an endless mountain of work, posters arguing amongst themselves about 0.5 degrees of rake in their concave board, swearing, PMing me, making me have to drop everything and come here to login, re-login and spend time fixing, deleting, moving, editing, etc etc etc all for free.

Hey Frankie, get your own site, server and learn HTML, phpbb and everything else and do it yourself. I could care less about whether I am "the admin" or not. I've never got a damn thing for it except for maybe 5 thank yous. And now, since no one was EVER willing to actually assist (and thanks adrien for helping) I now receive chest thumping comments of how you as the USER are deserving more? Someone else wanna pay for a forum, maintain a forum, deal with all the stuff that a forum brings ... that's fine with me.

Edit...what's even worse is you guys sit here and spend more time bitching and whining about spam instead of just sending me a quick email text or call
V
Unstrapped!

Postby skysurfr » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:23 pm

I went through and deleted the spam messages late last night. I may have taken out a couple of "where to ride today" threads in the process. I tried to make sure I didn't wipe out any video links etc.

Thank you V, Brandon, Adrien, and the other moderators / admins who keep this running smoothly.

mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby FSP » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:49 pm

its easy to start another forum adrien but very hard to get members...hence "chicagokiteboarder.com" who came back to link up with this forum when his didnt go so well. people have to REALLY like and know you to make such a switch!! easy does it seaman and hope you didnt cut ur own lines :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: !
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:17 pm

V wrote:For a YEAR AND HALF I've tried talking to V and bcruz about "handing the keys over" or at least giving me enough access to update the site with security patches and little gadgets for us to use.

Gee, you asked me twice and Brandon what once? Like you are the martyr here...gee Adrien you worked SOOOO hard! please.

Incorrect. I've been talking back and forth with Brandon (bcruz) for 5-7 months. We even sat down over lunch once to talk about in person since it was taking so long over e-mail. On the phone many times, over e-mail a whole lot more. Brandon admitted to not kiting in years because he's busy. I totally understand that and I thought it would be time for an update. He doesn't want to change anything because he thinks this site can built up into something great. My position was HOW? Not without someone with a passion to do it. Again, no offense to him at all. You guys built something cool, but if you aren't going to do anything with it and take care of it, why not give it to a guy in the community that does. Then, when I'm older and have kids/break bones/long hour job I can pass this on to the next guy. He honestly wanted to "sell" me this site for $100,000. I laughed REALLY hard, but he was serious.

I'm glad you spent the time to create this site. I truly am, but that's where the (in West's term) "respect" stops. The site is SUPER out of date and doesn't do half the stuff any basic forum that can be setup in 10 hours would do. It's also littered with Spam that I have to deal with in an inefficient way by adding users manually after checking their background. How is that disrespectful, West? It's the truth....I'm not being mean about it. So quit saying that and think it's OK.....it's not.

V wrote:Let me tell you I'm pretty pissed off right now. For 10yrs I've dealt with all the stupid crap rlative to this forum: people registering and unable to type in a simple keyword, foreign and domestic spam that is an endless mountain of work, posters arguing amongst themselves about 0.5 degrees of rake in their concave board, swearing, PMing me, making me have to drop everything and come here to login, re-login and spend time fixing, deleting, moving, editing, etc etc etc all for free.

Hey buddy, I'm with you there. So if you are tired of it why not let us help you out? If not, then deal with the consequences of people telling you the site is broken and is old and blah blah blah. You can't have it both ways and get your "respect"

skysurfr wrote: went through and deleted the spam messages late last night. I may have taken out a couple of "where to ride today" threads in the process. I tried to make sure I didn't wipe out any video links etc.

It's appreciated, but you are pulling out the weeds and not killing the roots. *Best Terminator voice* "I'll be baaack"

PS: V, Why did you delete Frank Scoletto's account after he posted:

V- "Hey Frankie, get your own site, server and learn HTML, phpbb and everything else and do it yourself. I could care less about whether I am "the admin" or not. I've never got a damn thing for it except for maybe 5 thank yous. And now, since no one was EVER willing to actually assist (and thanks adrien for helping) I now receive chest thumping comments of how you as the USER are deserving more? Someone else wanna pay for a forum, maintain a forum, deal with all the stuff that a forum brings ... that's fine with me."

Frank- "Done. http://TheWindSpot.com"

You aren't the only one with computer skills to create a site V. Use us to your advantage in helping create a better site. Take the load off and give it to us. That's all we are asking for, no pay or anything. We love this sport.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby IVO » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Kevin wrote:My take is there is probably an inappropriate sense of entitlement from the people who started this forum.

-Kevin

adseguy wrote:You aren't the only one with computer skills to create a site V. Use us to your advantage in helping create a better site. Take the load off and give it to us. That's all we are asking for, no pay or anything. We love this sport.

Adrien let me say again as I did already yesterday,that Im grateful for your time spend helping to manage this site.

But lets put this into perspective.

I did build a car 10years ago,nice color,new engine,build it to what I had in mind for it in that time,spend tons of hours,money,effort ect. Now a guy came along who got passion for the same stuff as I do,building a cars and ask me "hey bud,you dont drive that car as often as you used to do and I think you dont even have as much passion for it as I do.,you know what I was thinking instead of your old rims a can upgraded for 22' high profile rims,I'll get rid off your old radio and build in a new top of the line subwoofer plus new engine,now just give your keys,thats all Im asking for.and car is mine

In my world Adrien first time I would explain to the person,that no matter what he thinks about how passionate Im about building cars,for sure Im not going to hand over keys to my baby,since I did build it with my heart,my passion,my time and money.If the person ask me second time..probably I would be less politely and ask "what the hell you smoking".

For sure the whole story would be different between two best friends,but thats not the case.

Buddy,I have no problem at all with the site,care less if its outdated or not,it works great for me except the spam.I dont need new rims on basic forum,if V and Brendan will decided to update it down the road it's fine,.If you think you can build something with more flash and color in 10hours as you said,just do it buddy and try to win members over,since thats the only reason we having this conversation.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Next

Return to Open Forum