SPAM

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: SPAM

Postby adseguy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:57 pm

IVO,

Thanks for the appreciation, I really don't even expect it, but I guess it's nice to hear. Thanks and you're welcome to everyone else as well. I do it for my passion not the thanks.

I think your analogy doesn't work well as a car has value in it, but I'll play along: If it was a nice shiny working car you would be right. The problem is, that the engine has problems (the database gets corrupted once in a while), the exterior is rusted and faded (old site with graphics), and the interior has rips and tears (Spam). That car ain't worth much anymore and you can say as loud as you want that "I built it" "I spent hours"....cool, but it doesn't matter anymore. It's not disrespectful that I'm pointing out all the flaws. I'm willing to come out and clean the car up FOR FREE.......I'm baffled that people don't get this.

Other people watching this. VOTE: voice your opinion, either way. It'll help us make a better decision :)

edit: I come from a background where we encourage open discourse. It doesn't mean we hate each other or have ill-will, we just disagree and are trying to expression our opinions/beliefs. A lot of people take it the wrong way and get into defensive mode (I'm totally not pointing anyone out). No need, just express your thoughts 8)
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby IVO » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:12 pm

I"ll keep my last post to this short,since there wont be no need to add anything from my point of view.

And my though in brain was this."why that guy is judging my car,was I asked for help?Why is he thinking its not nice anymore,no value,was I asking about it?Thats not up to him,I love that car.Just because he has different point of view on how my car should look like Im entailted to had keys over,what?

Other people watching this. VOTE: voice your opinion, either way. It'll help us make a better decision

and why the hell is trying to give away what it isnt his" lol

Hey Ade good luck to you buddy whatever you decide to do from now on,Godspeed!

edit.my whole point with this was,you already asked V and Brendan about this and they said no,not sure why to bring this public,you gotta respect their way(in my opinion)
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:41 pm

To keep going on your analogy: If it's your own car and someone points out it's flaws, sure you have all the right in the world to ignore it and love your car. Here's were (again) your analogy goes wrong. People are in that car. We use it. We can't comment that it's ugly and sometimes unusable? True, it's free and we can just leave instead of say something. People will if it gets ugly enough. I dont' want that. I want to help. How am I the bad guy here?

So are you saying I can't voice that I don't like the spam cause that's disrespectful? This was the original topic. Please help me understand your view here

I can't complain and voice my view? Cause that's really all I'm doing here. Why is it bad that it's public? What makes it different that it's private (which I've tried)

Why insist it's your last post? We are just talking buddy. Yeah, it takes longer to type, but oh well. Still entertaining.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby IVO » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:03 pm

ah farkyit,one more than.

I dont see you as a bad guy at all.You can voice your opinion as you did and Im happy that you kept it cool.

You can point out the flaws in this web,argue back and forth whats right or wrong for it,but the whole point Ade is,it doesnt matter man,if the guys dont want to do it,that its up to them.To take this whole web hostage(lmao)to prove your point isnt solution,again,you gotta respect that...

thought the car analogy was spot on,You know where I stand on this 8)
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 am

An old Irish saying: "respect for ourselves guides our morales, respect for others guides our manners" .........one should attempt not to lose respect!
West
Wind Whore

Postby V » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 am

Is it possible to remove the accounts that are clearly spammers and disable the automatic subscription process until this gets resolved?
Pier

I did it "temporarily" for 1.5 years begging to get more control the whole time. I'm not doing this again. Sorry, I feel the message will be more understood this way by, yes, pissing people off. Like I said, best thing you can do is send bcruz or V a PM, email, text, whatever
Adrien

Adrien, YOU wanted to be the moderator. Then you step away and refuse to even say anything to anyone. A childish and immature reaction.

This is not the way to do things. As for your buddy and tapatalk, i asked a bunch of people what enhancements they wanted a year ago when we discussed this. Not one person wanted anything. They all said it was fine as is. I asked on the beach, many times.

Your buddy was deleted for a simple reason you obviously can't understand...he plainly stated this forum sucks and has his own. Therefore why does he need an account here? To spam his site here?
V
Unstrapped!

Postby V » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:33 am

hence "chicagokiteboarder.com" who came back to link up with this forum when his didnt go so well. people have to REALLY like and know you to make such a switch!! easy does it seaman and hope you didnt cut ur own lines !

that and the fact that it was quite commonplace for these other site "founders" to literally copy.paste content from here (non forum content) and steal info.

The guys here, the "OGs" so to speak, sat in rooms with politicians and got montrose back. These guys drove miles and miles, sucked up entire weekends, volunteered and organized beach cleanups, scouted sites endlessly, organized world-wide petitions to save kiting in chicago (yes WORLDWIDE) flooding politician offices with letters and emails from everywhere, mapped, compiled info and put it here in an organized fashion for all to have and save kiting.

I can go on and on...This was all before adrien even knew what kiting was...
V
Unstrapped!

Postby adseguy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 am

V wrote:Adrien, YOU wanted to be the moderator. Then you step away and refuse to even say anything to anyone. A childish and immature reaction.

I asked to have access to update the site (PHPBB wise) and stop the spam. I asked this many many many many many many many many times. I'm not in the field of just deleting spam the most inefficient way possible. PS: ever since you put back the admin approval status yesterday I have literally had over 60 emails about registration. I don't know what else you want from a volunteer. At the same time I wanted to update the "where to ride" part so it was more accurate. To this day that's what I want to do. I'm sorry that you thought my reaction, which was more of a de-action actually, was immature. You've got a valid point I'll give you that, but like I talked to you earlier about, this was going to happen at some point. I just wanted others to give you and Brandon a little push to do something about it. Of course my bias is that I want to fix it, but if you want to fix it yourself you are more then welcome to...it's your site.

V wrote: i asked a bunch of people what enhancements they wanted a year ago when we discussed this. Not one person wanted anything. They all said it was fine as is. I asked on the beach, many times.

How many times do you end up at the beach with different people? I'll start listing what I've heard over the years: Upload photos/videos, get rid of the ARC kites thing, tapatalk, Twitter (yuck ,but it's a request), correct time on the forum, contact page to work (that's a big one with newbies), working front page links, Leno off the front page (from Leno himself haha), Off da-lip to work (didn't even know this existed on the site), Where to ride (this is a HUGE request, by several people even talking on this topic). I could keep going, this site is broken.

V wrote:Your buddy was deleted for a simple reason you obviously can't understand...he plainly stated this forum sucks and has his own. Therefore why does he need an account here? To spam his site here?

Here's what I think quoting you. "A childish and immature reaction." "This is not the way to do things"
Frank has been nothing but good on this site, and him pointing out that he can build sites too, must have hit a nerve with you. I think your reaction was immature. He said NOTHING false or mean.

V wrote:The guys here, the "OGs" so to speak, sat in rooms with politicians and got Montrose back. These guys drove miles and miles, sucked up entire weekends, volunteered and organized beach cleanups, scouted sites endlessly, organized world-wide petitions to save kiting in Chicago (yes WORLDWIDE) flooding politician offices with letters and emails from everywhere, mapped, compiled info and put it here in an organized fashion for all to have and save kiting.

WHAT.......DOES THAT.........HAVE TO DO .........WITH ANYTHING! I'm just shaking my head with my jaw dropped. Seriously,WTF is going on with that. This is just a plea for emotions and it's very petty and small on your part. Yes, that's rude, but you are being ridiculous to bring that up.

Did anyone bring up that we don't approve of this or something? Did we not applaud you enough for this? How does this apply to spam.....seriously how?

Urban can tell you we are working together with the city now and I'm also working with Surfrider to get more access and river SUPing, new beaches, and the new beach being built on Northerly island........yet I would not think about bringing this up here......because it has nothing to do with spam.

So I guess my plea is this (since the beginning by the way) Can you please fix the spam issue, because my effort and patience has worn thin. It's an easy fix and we have people here willing to help. If you don't want to "add on' or change the site you don't have to, that was a side topic.
I'll be here for the community.
-Adrien
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby V » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Adrien, if anyone is pleading for attention, it is you...just look at your posting history.

Spam is a problem and always will be. Easily verified at phpbb site. I plan to speak to brandon this week but it is a holiday. Time for you to take a paper bag and start breathing into it.

The 60 requests were all spammers and deleted by me as many more throughout the last few years. Obviously the registration code was figured out and passed amongst the spam bots. Big deal. It will be changed.

As for now, i'll say you don't know how to delete multiple people automatically, judging from you banning procedures. It is not a big deal in the short term and agree that no moderator or admin should deal with it one by one. It will soon be fixed.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby adseguy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:51 pm

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 5&start=45

Do you have access to the server itself? I'm going to stop all registration until it's figured out. I'm getting an e-mail once every 5-10 minutes.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby V » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 pm

No it is at Brandon's office and it is a weekend. I emailed with him today though. He's going to get some stuff done - I asked for a list of things...

Meanwhile just ignore the registrations. I set to admin approval and have been blanket-deleting them once every 4-5 hrs as they build up.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Kevin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Really?? You kick Frank off the forum?? A guy who had a lot of great things to contribute. Gotta love suppression of free speech. Wow.
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:22 pm

The forum is fine especially for not being too complicated. Surfing here had a some groups break off for their own circles for similar reasons but the main forum still exists much like this one does to us. Those groups can privately communicate and that has worked out. as we grow in numbers this is how it will go. many big forums cant work and confusing. u can start a new forum but keep in mind many folks like the simplicity and familiarity FYI
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Wow.... it's only a few weeks into the off season...I hope it snows soon...so you guys get a wind or snowboard fix.

:roll:
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby dbur » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 pm

jeez, I wish this stuff never came out this way, kinda kills the spirit, to me this forum was very helpful so kudos to the founders and anyone who helped along the way, SPAM sucks so I"m willing to donate my time managing it if needed, however keeping up with new tech is a must, again, I'm willing to help with either one as long as it is for the stoke and not for personal ambitions or $...
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 am

Unfortunately there is no one solution that is perfect. The recent spam attack was unfortunate. What happens is the moment a spambot breaks your registration code, the spambot communicates that to all the other bots and they start hammering you. It was a simple fix and the registration code has been updated and a new image listed on the welcome message in where to ride. This should stop the bots completely. The only way it can be broken is if a human broke it, then passed it to the bot database...

I re-enabled registrations last night at 6:15pm. Since then we had two real registrations and no bots/spammers. There are a few that are registered from long ago and it is hard to delete them from the user base, but if one pops up to identify himslef he will be promptly deleted.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby mzhadkevich » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:23 pm

why attack russia? aren't they our friends now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQsG3TKQ0I
mzhadkevich
Chop Wrestler

Previous

Return to Open Forum