Looking for advice on a snowboard...

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Looking for advice on a snowboard...

Postby mrgrey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Seein how snow may be upon us in the coming weeks, can I get some suggestions on what kinda board would be the right siza and style for kiting? I see a ton of em on craigslist but dont wanna pull the trigger w/o getting informed...

Me 5'11" 175lbs...

Help a brother out...thx...
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Re: Looking for advice on a snowboard...

Postby V » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 pm

I just use my snowboard that I snowboard with ... I'm sure there are kite specific boards but I probably wouldn't buy one. If you plan to ride in light snow that will tear it up on tree roots, rocks, etc, maybe go used?
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Pier » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey Matt,

Unless you plan to go snowkiting all winter in Utah or similar I would not recommend a kite specific board (quite expensive) while buying something used for cheap since snowkiting in our area is going to wear the board quickly.

I do Snowkite with the same board that I use for snowboarding as well and it works fine.

I like smaller/lighter and softer boards for both but that's my personal preference. However, softer boards should help you with the kite due to easier turning.

Less carve is better since you will be spending most of the time on the edges, way more than snowboarding.

Snowboards are quite expensive to ship so try to buy local.

The last season was pretty bad so you should find good deals on 2012 gear as well.

Good luck
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby adseguy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:19 pm

These two guys hit the solid points.

1.) Buy used or cheap - You are going to beat that board up, snow around here can be thin and even ice on one edge will tear it up fast

2.) Buy a board with little curve in it. If you look at kite specific boards they are relatively square from front to back
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 pm

I have a 161 K2 Viper that I would sell with bindings. Might be a little long. It's a normal cambered board, with plenty of sharp edge. I had it tuned and waxed before putting it away. I just picked it up from the shop. It's in Very good condition...I do not ride park...so the edges are in perfect shape.

Not sure what I want for it.

I''m picking up a new board tomorrow.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby mrgrey » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 am

Something like this work well enough? BTW thanks for the input guys...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/spo/3420456109.html
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby maly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:14 am

Hey Matt, if you have never snowboarded before it won't make much difference in the beginning what kind of board you buy. For snowkiting especially when you have no equipment at all this would be good deal providing the helmet and boots fits you , not so much if you really want to get into snowboarding.
That board will get beat up badly anyway so most people ride old ( cheaper) boards when they snowkite and have better board for snowboarding.
And if this winter is as bad as last for snowkiting, you won't regret spending to much money on something that you going to use 2-3 times .
Mario
maly
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby FSP » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:29 am

love cliker step in system for the snowkite
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby V » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Agree also with FSP. Getting bindings in while getting your kite on is a pain.

Check out "Play it again Sports"...they are all over. Scored a Burton, sweet board, for $120 a few years back. Went back and found a good board for the wife too.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby xwindsurf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Have you given any thoughts to skis instead of a sb? Many people, including pros, prefer them because of long edges, just check the Strawberry, UT video clips
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby skysurfr » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:27 pm

I'd sell my 161 k2 viper with bindings for $93.50 and a coors light 24 oz tallboy.

It's just been waxed and edges sharpened by snowcrest ski center.

http://www.the-house.com/9852k2vi8zz-k2-snowboards.html
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:52 am

This is how I have been taught how to pick a snowboard.
1. Where are you going to ride, is it only snowkiting or will you go with regular snowboarding as well?
- If you decide you want to go for snowboarding as well choose a board that at least reaches from the ground to your chin.
2. Will you shred pow or you you stay on the groomed slopes?
- If you think in to the future and you would like to start shredding some fresh pow go for a little bigger board. The move volume the better you u will float.
3. Wide board vs. Not wide board.
- It all depends on your boot size. I usually recommended to get a wide board if you have bootsize 11 and up. Some did it from size 10.5 and up. Take a pair of boots with and see how far they stick out over your board. The more they stick out the more drag you will create, causing crashes.
4. Will you hit the park with your board?
- Many park riders will go for a smaller board why, gives them faster turns. Disadvantages of a smaller board, gets wobbly if you to go fast (at least this counts for my snowblades vs. skies).

For snowkiting as mentioned before there are special snowboards. Is it worth to spend the $600 on a special designed snowboard? As Pier said, if you plan to do it for months in a row in Utah or something I would say yes go for it. If it is just for the winter days in Chicagoland on grass lake, go for a regular.

If it is really just for fun go to Play-it-Again-Sports got my ski boots for my snowblades there for like $45! Are skies easier to put on while snow kiting, YES! The snowboard is just awkward to put on with a kite in the air.

The thing that I would focus on and if you really want to keep boarding get a good pair of boots. There is nothing more annoying and painful then a pair of not good fitting boots.

Look around and send me a pm if you want some more info or what ever.

By the way, I am heading the weekend of January the 18th to Granite Peak, WI its about a 4 and half drive from Glenview but it is really one of the nicer ski areas around here! skigranitepeak.com

Hope to get some good snowkiting this year at Grass lake!!!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Here's a previous post on this topic; http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteboarding_messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10516&p=50906&hilit=+snowboard+for+kiting%3F#p50906

I'm 6', 165 and ride the Escape 161. Jason is 6'2" 150 and rides the Reverse 158. We also use these boards on the slopes and they perform nicely. Single-hand lock bindings are the key as well! I like the Flows... and their higher end BOA system boots are pleasantly comfy and snug up in all the right places. I can help you with either if you'd like.

Some screamin' deals on the few 2012 boards left from last years snow illusive season;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Aboards-Escape-Snowkiting-Snowboard-/260916168779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbfd0c84b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Aboards-Reverse-Snowkiting-Snowboard-/250954099366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e07aaa6
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm

my though, get a cheap board used. bend it crash it junk it . for a true snowboard go to a dealer which is specialized in this stuff. true snowkite gear try it then buy it, like buying a car. just my 2 cents. by the way mike, flows are nice until you shred and get stuck in pow snow. This is a reason for many pow riders not to go with flows, (read about this online not my own experience but can see the issue). i know this is not the main thing here in the midwest lol. oh i still wanna try one of those boards!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Jimbo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 am

Snow kiting has a much different feel than kiteboarding in water. A regular snow board will work fine, however because of the camber and hour glass shape the board it will cut up wind to much and has a tendency to track in the snow as well as catch a little on the tip edges in hard pack and has a locked in feel on the snow. That is because you body weight is hanging off your kite lines and the board is at a natural angle for it to cut in the snow more. Down hill you are flat on the snow surface edging when necessary but not constantly. The best snowboard for kiting is a flat to rocker or reverse camber board and one that has less of an hr glass shape something like a mountain board or banana board. Remember on snow kiting you are being pulled by the kite and need resistance from the kite to have forward momentum so the board is always edging. A board that is more forgiving on the edge would be best. Also a boot that is more flexible like a free style boot is better so you can play with the board on the snow with a somewhat loose feel.

Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby skysurfr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:22 pm

I just picked up a wavy camber combi board. Looking forward to trying it out.....downhill not with a kite.

If the lake went downhill...I'd skip the kite there too. :-P
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Goatskull » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:22 pm

This is just my opinion, but if you’ve never snowboarded at all before I would recommend taking regular snowboard lessons and keep at it (snowboarding) until you get to at least intermediate level before strapping on the kite. Even if you have skateboarding, surfing, wakeboarding, snowboarding is really a lot different from any of those. If you have skiing experience it can even be a hindrance (as my wife learned). If you DO have skiing experience perhaps consider kite skiing? Again just my two cents.
Goatskull
Chop Wrestler

Return to Open Forum