This is how I have been taught how to pick a snowboard.
1. Where are you going to ride, is it only snowkiting or will you go with regular snowboarding as well?
- If you decide you want to go for snowboarding as well choose a board that at least reaches from the ground to your chin.
2. Will you shred pow or you you stay on the groomed slopes?
- If you think in to the future and you would like to start shredding some fresh pow go for a little bigger board. The move volume the better you u will float.
3. Wide board vs. Not wide board.
- It all depends on your boot size. I usually recommended to get a wide board if you have bootsize 11 and up. Some did it from size 10.5 and up. Take a pair of boots with and see how far they stick out over your board. The more they stick out the more drag you will create, causing crashes.
4. Will you hit the park with your board?
- Many park riders will go for a smaller board why, gives them faster turns. Disadvantages of a smaller board, gets wobbly if you to go fast (at least this counts for my snowblades vs. skies).
For snowkiting as mentioned before there are special snowboards. Is it worth to spend the $600 on a special designed snowboard? As Pier said, if you plan to do it for months in a row in Utah or something I would say yes go for it. If it is just for the winter days in Chicagoland on grass lake, go for a regular.
If it is really just for fun go to Play-it-Again-Sports got my ski boots for my snowblades there for like $45! Are skies easier to put on while snow kiting, YES! The snowboard is just awkward to put on with a kite in the air.
The thing that I would focus on and if you really want to keep boarding get a good pair of boots. There is nothing more annoying and painful then a pair of not good fitting boots.
Look around and send me a pm if you want some more info or what ever.
By the way, I am heading the weekend of January the 18th to Granite Peak, WI its about a 4 and half drive from Glenview but it is really one of the nicer ski areas around here! skigranitepeak.com
Hope to get some good snowkiting this year at Grass lake!!!
14 Best Nemesis - 11 Blade Prime - 9 Blade Prime - Bro POP 137 - Bro Hybrid 132 - Proud owner of Naish Sky Pirate 6'6