Madison lake and snow conditions

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Madison lake and snow conditions

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:46 pm

With 18 inches of snow to fall last week our conditions are awesome to say the least for this early in the season.

We have access and approval for riding in some fields and the sessions so far this year have been as good as we've seen in years. Deep with a good top surface so you're not pushing through the snow.

Some of the local lakes are frozen solid and smooth. Kegonsa and Wingra. Monona and Mendota are still open.

If there's wind and anyone wants to join us, let me know and we can ride.

Good winds.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Re: Madison lake and snow conditions

Postby xwindsurf » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Bob, can you post some details, like what specific places are accessible, and with what wind directions they work well?
That would make it so much easier to plan something!
Thanks in advance
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks Tom,

You're a half step ahead of me.

Here's a link to the Lacy Road Location which is right across from Wildwood Prairie Park in Fitchburg.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42 ... 9&t=h&z=15

Lake Kegonsa: Fish Camp, Kegonsa State park and Lafolette Park, but no snow yet.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42 ... 8&t=h&z=13

Wingra:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=43 ... 9&t=h&z=15
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bryce FLK » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Anything happening this weekend snowkite style?
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby jensmadwind » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:09 am

as of now, snow is great. Wind....not so much.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Bryce,

Friday morning and early afternoon looks decent. Saturday later in the day might pick up and Monday looks good.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby xwindsurf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:17 am

At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I'd say: screw the wind for a few days, and go west, and make use of these gorgeous mountains of ours. I know, the corporate leeches took over most ski resorts but still, there are many great deals to have if you look.
I'm in Aspen Snowmass now, and even though the snow conditions are not fantastic, the trees, the steeps, and some hike-to terrain still have so many awesome stashes...
Apologies for hi-jacking the thread for a sec, I will shut up now but it's so good that I think legalizing weed in Colorado was redundant, you can get high on the thin air...
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 am

Bob, that's awesome to hear! I might come out tomorrow! 10-20 SW...
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Bryce FLK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:54 am

Tom,

I use to snowkite all over Summit County and miss it dearly. I think loveland pass is kiteable right now. Not sure about Vail pass or the others. I use to kite right above the Eisenhower Tunnel as well in a bowl we called "Coon Hill". My buddy Gary Greene out there can show you around if the conditions are right! PM me for his contact info...

Bob,

Thanks for the info. Im taking the girl to teach her how to snowboard tomorrow. Where will you guys be at late afternoon, maybe ill get a quick afternoon session with you gents.
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby snowball » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Was riding up by Janesville WI last weekend. Still got a pretty good base up there. Fun times !!!
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:54 pm

V,

They are not calling for much until late afternoon for Saturday. Keep an eye on Monday if you can sneak away.

Had one of my best snowkiting sessions in years today. Wind dropped off around 2, but from 9-1, it was a solid 15-20 and really powered 12m weather. There's still about 8 -10 inches of base with a fast top layer that you don't break through except in a few spots.

Bryce...we bailed after 2:00 and went and grabbed some local beer at the great dane.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:29 pm

I saw a snowcover report today and Madison is sill showing 8-9 inches of cover. True that.

Rockford = 1. Milw = 1, Chic = 0, North of us = 4. We got super lucky to get hit with the big storm early and it's stayed cold. Been riding every other day mostly and the last 4 of 6 days and more wind coming this week.

I've been getting emails asking about conditions and thought I'd post here again to update current conditions.

Looks like wind later T, early W, mid day Th and if accurate, most of the day Sat. Too far out to really trust the later days though and it is supposed to get warmer soon.

Hope this helps and let me know if you are heading this way and I'll let you know where we are riding.

We had 12-13 or so riders out today (Monday). Woo hoo.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby snowball » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 pm

Just curious how much do you guys have by Madison as of 1/15?
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby V » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:29 am

As of this morning my buddy in Madtown says spotty and not kiteable...
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:36 pm

True that...kind of. You're other buddy says it's doable especially if you ski and can ski well. Snowboarders are out of the mix unless you have a switchblade mounted to your board.

Here are 2 threads running now on our forum about today and this Friday.

http://mb.kiteridersllc.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2371
http://mb.kiteridersllc.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2370

If anyone wants to hit some fast speeds, come on up Friday.

Or, here's what I posted this afternoon about riding today on Kegonsa.

-------------------------------------------------------

I posted the below info on the other Kegonsa thread, but starting a new thread for this Friday. Looks WINDY and the absolute perfect direction for Kegonsa's north shore.

Who's in? Anyone want to take some vids and pics?

Friday looks like more south in it, so Fish Camp should be better for rigging than it was today. Big shadow today due to SW direction.

--------------------------------------------------------
Copied from other thread.....

Kegonsa today was awesome. I rigged at Fish camp, but there was a big crack near the launch, so i launched out past the crack. Rode way way downwind though and the snow in the middle was half snow, half ice. Easy to go fast, but could only go about 70% all out. However, closer to shore the snow was 100% coverage, but thin. If you have sharp edges, good skis and able to edge really well, it was awesome.

I would not even bother if you are a snowboarder unless you have a switchblade mounted to your board.

There's a bar/restaurant between Fish Camp and Kegonsa State park that had a few ice boats moored and the snow there was awesome.

There was no-one else at all out on the lake. I was the only moving thing anywhere which was strange. I could tell though the ice boaters have been out as I can see the tracks they leave on the snow/ice.

The snow is not super grippy, but you could hit some good speed where the snow was better. I could probably hold close to 80-90% of an aggressive edge. I only hit 43mph, but looking to get out Friday for sure. Let's ride and bring cameras. I had both my camera and phone (gps - speedometer), but the camera battery is acting strange, so need to get a new battery. Getting some cool vids, but my battery is only lasting about 10 minutes, so hard to get much footage.

Let me know if you are up for Friday.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Whew...hit 52 mph today on skis.

More here if you want to read up on the conditions, etc.

http://mb.kiteridersllc.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2371

No snow though, so it would be nice for a good dump again soon.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Return to Open Forum