Want to BUY surfboard for Lake MI

If you got some new digs, thinkin its gonna help your kiting step-up to the next level, blow out your used gear here and watch that grom shred harder than you on your old kite.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Want to BUY surfboard for Lake MI

Postby Annie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 am

Hi All,

I want to buy a surfboard (used) but even with much research am having a hard time deciding....

I'm 5'6, 120#, so I'm thinking a 5'8 board? Not sure how wide? With removable foot straps.

Any suggestions and anything for sale?

Thanks! Annie
Annie
Board Monkey

Re: Want to BUY surfboard for Lake MI

Postby V » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:57 am

Annie, you might want to check a surf specific site...however, as I used to surf most of my life, I would veer off the regular rules a bit if surfing in Lake Michigan.

Firstly, fresh water is not as buoyant, so a bigger board is needed vs salt water just due to physics. Most boards are built for salt water btw.

Longer doesn't necessarily mean more buoyant, either. I had a board built for me that was a 6'8" double-width stringer and domed top with a bonzer bottom. The dome provided a lot more buoyancy. I'd compare it to a 7'2" or maybe a bit longer. So I had a shorter board but got the benefits of a longer board float. In terms of length and width they both affect riding but I'd say the tail shape has the most effect but I haven't ridden newer boards in a while so not sure if some magic happened.

In LM, you might also want to go med/longboard territory. I see these guys sitting there all day in the lineup while we kiters are riding all day and catching but a handful of waves. the wave is usually good for one smack, if they even get that. On average the waves here are poor for surfing. If I were to get a board, my car would dictate the length first. I would want to catch the waves early and ride, that's why I'm there, not to sit in the water waiting. So if you want to "rip it up" on a short board, these waves are not the best. I'd get a med length, catch it early, piss off the guys 'cuz the girl is getting all the waves and drive off at the end of the day with a smile!
V
Unstrapped!

Re: Want to BUY kite surfboard for Lake MI

Postby Annie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 am

Hi V,

Thank you so much for the feedback, most appreciated! I was thinking Lake Michigan was unique, therefore the "regular" surfboard research may not apply....

Also, should have mentioned, looking to buy a KITEsurf surfboard.....no sitting in the water for me ;-)! Annie
Annie
Board Monkey

Postby snowball » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 pm

5 8 is going to be really hard to learn on even if you are a light weight. Get a funshape board. On my 7 8 funshape/mini longboard I can catch waist high waves and it's still short enough to cut.

Look on craigslist that is where I got my board.
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby snowball » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Oh you mean for kiting. lol I weigh 160 and I like kiteboarding with small surfboards a lot more because they are much easier to control and slash the waves and really rip it up (5"4 is my favorite). It depends a lot on the board though so demo if you can. If you are interested in a kite skim board with removable fins I have 2 skim boards and am selling one of them.
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby 4w7s » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm

For your weight you don't need anything bigger than 5-7 to 5-11 for kiting (anywhere). Too big and too much volume is unnecssary and will not be fun.
As mentioned before it is not only length that matters but also volume/rocker/outline, bottom shape, tail shape.
Other subtle factors would be fin configuration (quad or thruster) but either one works fine, and the quality of fins, board weight, flex.
My current boards are all thrusters, but my next board will probably be a quad or 5-box board that I can alternate 4 or 3 fins - just for something new and different.
Volume: For your weight I would not get anything more than 29 or 30 liters MAX.

e.g.
I am 160# and ride a few different boards depending on conditions -
- 5/8 Lost round nose fish, approx 29 liters, thruster - a classic surfboard shape that has fair amount of nose volume and works great on slower mushy waves, which we get a lot of around here. But this board is not ideal in chopy conditions. This is an Aviso board so it wil take the beating from kiting with it. This board is very stable and easy to do footwork, but still very snappy. This board is virtually dingprooof
- 5/11 Firewire Taj, approx 24 liter volume, thruster, a kite specific board based on a tried/true surfboard shape, beefed up for durability, not nearly as ding-proof as the Aviso but it's holding together great after 3 hard years. This shape is more "gunny" and works great in big fast waves, choppy conditions, but needs a bit more power to ride upwind, and because of narrow width and lower volume requires more skill and precision for your footwork. (I have the KTS which is now the KP1)
- 5/3 Spleene Zone, which is not really a surfboard but rather a kiteboard that looks like a surfboard. This is a great board in the waves and even in light wind. I ride this board w/straps and it's great when the waves aren't really good but conditions are still big because it absorbs anything and is virtually indestructible. Although it gives a great "surfy" ride it is NOT quite the same as a proper surfboard - but still super fun.

The reason I mention these boards is to illustrate the subtleties of length-shape-volume. As a beginner some might say none of that matters but I beg to differ. I think you should at least have a good idea of what might be the correct shape for you and try shoot for it. You may never get a perfect bullseye but you will be closer to knowing what you like once you get better...and you might just say your first board is your favorite. Sometimes it's not the tool, but rather how well you use the tool.

I think having the options of straps/strapless is good for kiting around here. But I would recommend learning to ride it strapless FIRST, so that you really learn an optimized stance. I think straps hold people back a little when learning in terms of "surf"style riding. But try it either way, whatever works best for you. Start off in calm water and dial in your stance and riding toeside and some switching stance. Don't be concerned about falling off and re-starting at first...it comes with the territory.

The Firewire boards are really awesome. If you look at the way they are built you might see why I like them. http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/kites ... itesurfing
I would defo buy another one - probably a KHF . This board is fairly tough but it will ding.

I would also defo buy another Aviso, but they are more price if you buy new. I would probably go for something like the a Doc 5/5 or Cole 5/11
http://avisosurf.com/Boards.html I have never had a ding in my Aviso board in 4+ years of hard use and travel.

I prefer lightweight boards - some people claim to like heavier boards for some reason (?). But I've ridden my 5/11 in super rough conditions in 35+ kts and never wished it was heavier. But if you get a light board it needs to be built right. I suppose the same comment goes for a heavy board, and simply laying on more material does not always mean the board is built "better" or stronger. As you may have already been told, a standard surfboard is not really designed for kiting. If you are light and don't ride it super hard it might be fine, so caveat emptor about that.

OK, I am not trying to confuse matters for you, and I know it might be challenging to pick a board as a beginner, but at least you can try to understand some of this before you decide. However, know that it might take time for you to "feel" what works for you best.

Get a surfboard and have a Happy New Year!

That being said

I have FOR SALE a practically new 7/0x HDX Funboard that is in excellent condition, only surfed a few times, I am original owner, with fins, tailpad, and bag - if anyone is interested.

I also have a FOR SALE a 9/0 HDX longboard in excelllent condition, with fin and bag

PM if interested
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi Annie,

You may have already figured this out, but picking a kite surf board is probably the hardest thing to pick in the kiteboarding range of gear. So many options and so many opinions. Some great advice on here already and I hope I can help further.

If you are not in a hurry, and can wait until spring, you're more than welcome to try some of my demo boards. I tend to have a decent selection of boards to try before buying.

Through the years, I've had a chance to try and ride a lot of surf boards and the differences are huge. Way more than twin tips for sure. Below is a list of the boards I have left, but there's really only 1 or 2 that I would recommend out of this mix, but I do have more coming. The other boards below are either too thick and too wide (for lighter winds) or possibly too expensive if you prefer used.

Size/length:
Regarding size, something in the 5'5 to 5'10 range sounds about right depending on other factors below.

Width:
Something in the 17-19" range should do well. If it's too wide, it will be harder to burry the rail to turn. See thickness below also.

Thickness:
For someone your size, I'd go thinner if possible. I don't have a specific number, but there are a few boards that are thinner by nature (Litewave DV8 and new Axis New Wave - coming this spring). A board that is thicker will also be harder to bury the tail when doing transitions, turning, etc. Kind of goes hand in hand with width. The boards above actually are made with a completely different construction that somewhat mirrors snowboards, etc, so they are also so they are very durable compared to most other surf boards. My guess though is that at your size, you won't be putting nearly as much stress on boards compared to riders my size unless you start jumping with them. The 2 boards above have a recessed deck with a full length deck pad which makes them super easy to ride and learn riding strapless if that's of interest. They also come with straps. The DV8 is a wood core and a little heavier. The Axis is a foam core and a little lighter. Completely stay away from light wind boards. They are usually too thick, wide and will be a handful for you learning.

Weight:
Subjective. Light boards tend to be livelier, but can be a handful in choppier conditions unless it's thinner, narrower, etc. to calm it down. 2 boards have quickly become my favorites this year. The Cabrinha Subwoofer and Cabrinha Skillitt. The subwoofer though is too wide, but the skillitt is an incredibly easy and fun board to ride. I sold my skillit demo recently, but I have more coming in the spring. Pricey, but it's worth trying if you are interested.

Fins:
Quad - 4 fins. All 4 fins are at or forward of the back footstrap. They tend to go upwind really well, are a little faster and slashier in turns (looser).
Thruster - 3 fins. 2 forward fins near the back foot and one center fin further back. That one further fin in back let's riders really push hard off of the back fin and carve really hard without spinning out. They tend to draw out the turn a little more. I'm a strong guy and ride hard on my back foot and by far prefer thrusters due to needing that back fin. Going to quads make me adjust by moving my back foot forward to compensate. For you, I'm not sure yet if you would know or prefer the difference, but hopefully the info above will help.

Price:
You can pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a grand. Since this is your first board, I'd start out conservative unless you can demo and find a board that absolutely fits what you want to do, etc.

Below is a list of my boards left and feel free to contact me with any questions, etc. The bold boards below are the two I would consider for you.

*2010 Slingshot Celeritas 5'8" (demo) board. Rotating footstrap and fins $749...sell for $399
*2013 Slingshot Celeritas 5'11" (new) board (SELL NOW). $879...sell for $839
*2012 Slingshot Dialer 5'10" (demo) board. $829...sell for $599.
*2012 Litewave DV8 full deck pad 5'7" (new) board. $799...sell for $599
*2009 Underground 6'2" Freewave full deck pad board. $899...sell for $399 --- Pending
*2013 Lib-Tech 6'0" Bowl. $700...sell for $489.00
*2013 Cabrinha 5'8" Subwoofer. $969.00...call or email for pricing.
*2013 Cabrinha 5'10" Skillitt. $969.00...call or email for pricing.

I hope this helps and how are you set on kites, etc?

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Annie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Thank you sooo much, really appreciate the help! Now I've got even more to think about, but feeling much more knowledgable.

Bob, I think I'll take you up on checking some things out in the spring, thank you! I like the price of the available boards now, but am thinking I'll find an even better fit for me this spring. As far as kites go , I'm all set there, have a 7 & 9m Vegas and 8 & 12m Ozone C4s. Do you sell North kites?

Roberto, you've got my dreaming about the Aviso, someday.... All the details are super helpful, thanks! Also, I know you're familiar with the DynaBar.... Do you use that when you surf?

Thanks again, Annie
Annie
Board Monkey

Postby 4w7s » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Annie wrote:Hi Guys,

Thank you sooo much, really appreciate the help! Now I've got even more to think about, but feeling much more knowledgable.

Roberto, you've got my dreaming about the Aviso, someday.... All the details are super helpful, thanks! Also, I know you're familiar with the DynaBar.... Do you use that when you surf?

Thanks again, Annie

It sounds like you have a good quiver of kites...now get a good board for surf style and you'll be rockin in the waves. I started testing the Dynabar about 5 years ago and feel that it is, dollar for dollar, the best investment in my entire pile of gear. I use it always, and it's fantastic for wave riding and snowkiting. This is a small company in Italy, but the owner has constantly improved on this product year after year, and responded to real rider feedback meaningfully. I still ride with my first prototype sometimes and some of the newer models. The latest version is really great and has addressed virtually every concern or rider wish you can imagine. (I do sell them by the way...so sorry if this sounds like pimping. But I have well over 1000 sessions with Dynabars and I'll never go back to a fixed hook...Period.)

If you get a surfboard and venture over to MI this Spring I'd be happy to give you some pointers. And you're welcome to try a Dynabar. Some of us are still riding on the water here - as well as some snowkiting recently, but a meltdown is coming this week...might be time to head out West to the Rockies.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Annie,

Sounds like a great plan. I used to be a North dealer and if you are set on them, I can probably still get some, but you do have a really good quiver already. Do you snow kite at all? We've had some of the best conditions in years this last month.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Annie » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Roberto and Bob,

A huge thank you! Really appreciate all the advise. So excited for kiting season (for me) to start up again, waiting until spring, too cold for me!

However, I love snowboarding and kiting and would enjoy combining the two for some snowkiting! Guessing that you need some more snow up in Madison now though... Next snowfall, I'm there!

Also, heading over to CO in a couple weeks, conditions on Lake Dillion are not great.... I think someone has a contact over there who knows the good spots??

Thanks again guys and hopefully see you soon!

Oh, and Roberto, I was actually kitesurfing (on a surfboard, only for a day, enough to get hooked) in Brazil last month in my seat harness! (Can't stand my crappy DaKine waist harness). So.... Yeah, I'll want to grab a DynaBar from you in the Spring... At least now I know it can be done, but very uncomfortable toe side!
Annie
Board Monkey

Postby Bryce FLK » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Annie, feel free to call me about CO snowkite spots. Anton the owner of Colorado Kite Force has been canceling all the lake dillon events as there is no snow on it. It is frozen over though and maybe will have snow by the time you get there. If your looking to do some back country we use to mainly park at Loveland Pass and clime up from there or park by a service entrance near the tunnel and clime up there (depends on direction of coarse). Ill be there Feb 16-20th.

If you are thinking about back country, be super careful. The wind can be beyond gusty up there on the wrong day, and there is always the danger of being in the backcountry.

Loveland Pass
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 9107_o.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 9710_n.jpg

Coon Hill (by eisenhower tunnel)
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-s ... 0778_o.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-s ... 7573_n.jpg
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Return to Kiteboarding Equipment for Sale