Who likes good beer!?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Who likes good beer!?

Postby mrgrey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:14 pm

So its like two degrees outside and winters grip is still upon us... Reflecting a little on great first season behind me I met a ton of the coolest people out there who enjoy the finer things in life...particularly wind and beer! I would be remissed if I didnt share my adventures in home brewing. I am a pipefitter that built my own all grain 15 gallon capacity brewery that has been rockin at full throttle for a couple weeks now.

I have been cloning faves such as Zombie Dust, Two-Hearted Ale, and others lately and could always use an extra hand if yall wanna hang and make some craft beers all while enjoying the fruits of the labor and sharing stories of kiting. I know the Bro crew knows what I am talking about ;) . If there are any other home brewers out there hit me up or if your interested in makin some primo swill lemme know.... I plan on making my own recipes that have some kite themed names... Gales Ale, HeadHigh IPA, or Bottom Turnin Lager... you get the idea.

http://skydaddybrewingcompany.shutterfly.com/

-Matt
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Re: Who likes good beer!?

Postby West » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Now that's what I am talkin' bout.........I would be into that for sure. Brewed a couple dozen batches with my brother n laws over the years, and I do maintenance work for the Onion Pub and Brewery in Barrington, I am always into a good brew. Speaking of which, Pier's father n law is an awesome brewer, and Pier will bring us one when we are lucky for an after sesh quencher...Holy Smokin' Apocalypse Stout was the latest, and it was tasty!!!!!!

Keep me informed of your brewing schedule and I will try to make it over, thanks for the shout out....... 8)
West
Wind Whore

Postby mrgrey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:31 pm

Sweetness... glad your interested as it is always fun to brew with a bud. Got some good ones on deck including a couple BIG beers and more of everyones favorite American IPAs. Usually brew on weekends and will def give a shout out if anyone is else is interested in taggin along. Coupla amigos have even taken to brewing on my rig to make beer to keg and take home later on at a huge savings... can make a FFF sixer a Gumball or Alpha for bout $1.75. Can't beat that with a stick!
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 am

Sounds like a party brewin', no?!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Pier » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Matt, that sounds awesome!

My father in law is indeed a great brewer but I couldn't convince him in replicating FFFs...not yet...;)

I'm up as well whenever you need some help.

Let me know and I'll make sure to bring some home brews to share.

Cheers

Pier
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Ok, yep!!... now you're definitely committed Matt! Let's get a date! If only I could figure out how to easily move a 2 1/2 ton pizza oven over for the occasion.....
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Pier » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Mike, just load it on the wind wagon...she should be able to handle that!

;)
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Pier wrote:Mike, just load it on the wind wagon...she should be able to handle that!

;)
Oh no doubt with the rebuilt and modified air load leveling system Pier! In fact carrying all the masonry home when I was building that oven was the final straw and reason for the suspension once-over. But gonna need a few of you boys to help muscle it in.... or perhaps keeping an appropriate theme with the crowd, we can rig one of those monster foils to it!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Zombie Dust, Two-Hearted Ale..Matt If you would say Gumballhead,it would be 3/3 of my favourites beer.Signed me up as well buddy!

WaWaZat wrote:Ok, yep!!... now you're definitely committed Matt! Let's get a date! If only I could figure out how to easily move a 2 1/2 ton pizza oven over for the occasion.....

Mike, why are you trying to move the mountain?Home preparation in great oven and "coming in hot" with still crispy pizza will lead to inevitable applause from all :lol:

Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:16 pm

IVO wrote:Mike, why are you trying to move the mountain?Home preparation in great oven and "coming in hot" with still crispy pizza will lead to inevitable applause from all :lol:

lol!! Great point Ivo but you know as well as I that it's not just about the eatin'. It's about the whole atmosphere..... preppin' & firin' with like-minded friends close by... a pizza peel in one hand and one of those home brews in the other!

Perhaps one of these should be on the project list.....
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby kwk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Gumbalhead!!, West better think to throw some of those in the back of the truck before heading to Corpus otherwise he is not seeing any of the new secret spots!
Keith
kwk
Master of Kite

Postby mrgrey » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Wow thanks for the responses guys!... BTW I have a pound and a half of amarillo hops ready for my gumball head recipe which happens to be on tap after I brew 10gal of Two-Hearted Ale tomorrow....Already got my yeast starter on a stir plate and chuggin away..

How does Saturday the 16th or Sunday the 17th of March sound? (Of course assuming there is no wind or ice still prevails...) I should have 5 gallons of Zombie Dust on tap/5 gallons of Gumballhead/10 gallons of 2 Hearted...

I would be open to ideas of another beer if yall have any good ones that need to be cloned...
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 pm

mrgrey wrote:Wow thanks for the responses guys!... BTW I have a pound and a half of amarillo hops ready for my gumball head recipe which happens to be on tap after I brew 10gal of Two-Hearted Ale tomorrow....Already got my yeast starter on a stir plate and chuggin away..

How does Saturday the 16th or Sunday the 17th of March sound? (Of course assuming there is no wind or ice still prevails...) I should have 5 gallons of Zombie Dust on tap/5 gallons of Gumballhead/10 gallons of 2 Hearted...

I would be open to ideas of another beer if yall have any good ones that need to be cloned...
I'm good the weekend of 16/17th! Perfect as we'll be in SPI the following two weekends. 8)
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

In the meantime, who wants to get together and tap this on March 2nd?! $10 coupon codes avail. http://windycitybrewhaha.com/
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby V » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:27 am

Something different...good beer! Man that rollin pizza puffer is pretty cool. Coolest in the camp!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-smi ... -stout/87/
V
Unstrapped!

Postby WaWaZat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:19 am

Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Aw yeah, you got it rollin' now Capn.....

That pizza on wheels reminds me of the oven near Beverly that sets up in the summertime, roadside next to the gas station on 12, great stuff, but nowhere as good as Mike's of course.

March 2nd........Texas Ind Day....177 years and counting unless they secede from the union!!!!! An appropriate toast on that day would be Remember the Alamo!!!

Gumball head will be in the truck Keith along with various cases of Wild Onion Brews, headin' to Port A for that beach fire at sunset/full moon..........

And yes I will bring some Hop Slayer to the Beer Brewing Extravaganza, count me in for the 16th or the 17th....but beware if you get Piero and Ivo together, then you are gonna have a hellraiser brewing....(just imagine the two of 'em rolling in that car on the label of Hop Slayer), all I can say is buckle up buddy!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby mrgrey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 am

Didnt even realize it but St. Pattys Day is Sunday...I am gonna say we shoot for Saturday the 16th. 3-16-2013 (That is of course unless we want to have a St. Pattys day brew party) ***Kiting Conditions may affect actual date***

Can I get a preliminary head count on attendees for the festivities? Looks like we may have a nice little crowd for a late winter warmer brew sesh. I am gonna come up with a special recipe that will be an IPA or IIPA that apparently we need to hop/boost to the max based on what I am seein here. This wont be your grandpas swill....

...I got a pile of vinyl that I spin while we cook and hope to have Zombie Dust, Two-Hearted, and Gumball clones on tap and ready to go for everyones enjoyment...hopin the yeast finish their jobs in time to have all three.

So far looks like; West, Mike, Pier, IVO, and Me.. :) Just reply to this thread if ya wanna be added/removed from the list.

Bring something to share with the group and be prepared to bask in the unmistakeable aroma of fresh grains and flowery hop goodness...

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source ... 17&iwloc=A
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 am

I'm gonna try to hop a ride with Pier! Count me in. I used to brew as well, but never got very into it. It's an art form that's for sure.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby West » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 am

sounds like a good plan for Sat 16th......i will bring some pub brews and some food along for sure!!! Looking forward to it buddy........ 8)
West
Wind Whore

Next

Return to Open Forum