New Year New Trips

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

New Year New Trips

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:17 pm

I finally start to wake up from my winter hibernation. After a great trip to Steamboat Springs CO, I decided to look for some other excitement for this coming kiteboarding season. So lets fire the bullet: Has anyone experience with the northern peninsula of Michigan ( http://goo.gl/maps/VFNo5 ) straight up north from here. I was looking at Little and Big Traverse bay. Looks like a fun exploring trip besides Tawas.

Any information welcome!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Re: New Year New Trips

Postby Northerner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:11 pm

Just got back from four days of great skiing up there in the Keweenaw. As for water kiting there, just do a search as myself and others have post detailed reports of the area, including the North coast of the U.P. Wisconsin riders have done 4-5 big trips up there in some huge conditions.

Lots of Fantastic areas to kite and camp around these Great Lakes.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Re: New Year New Trips

Postby sailfish » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 am

I haven't been to those bays, but Lake Superior seems to always be frigid even in the summer, but maybe that makes for food wind conditions.
I did grow up in Cedarville, in the eastern Upper Peninsula on the Huron side. There are a lot of islands, channels and bays there with various places that are accessible to the public. It means it can be gusty, but I've had great windsurfing and sailing sessions. There are some E-W oriented sand dune beaches east of Cedarville and some bays with substantial shallows to the west. Could be another option. I got into kiting after I moved away, but I've dreamed of kiting up there!
Dave
sailfish
Chop Wrestler

Return to Open Forum