HIGHWAYMAN is laid up!!!!!!!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

HIGHWAYMAN is laid up!!!!!!!

Postby West » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 am

Got the word that our fellow kiter John Lynch was injured in a skiing related accident last week. It happened out West up in Canada when he was extreme skiing with a couple of buddies that he meets up with every year.....something about cliff jumping!!!

Not sure to the extent of his injuries but I believe that he has a broken leg....he just returned home last night, and is in good spirits, but will be out of the line-up for a bit....

We call him the Highwayman for the amount of miles he eats up in that behemouth of a truck that he drives up from somewhere in the cornfields south of Michigan City, while chasing down the wind up and down the Lake Michigan coastline. He is a regular in our crew for the downwinders, and always offers to drop off or pick up........he said he will have to be the designated driver for a while, but that he will still be around the water while healing up!!!!!!

Drop him a get well wish to help speed up his recovery, I do believe he is a fast healer.......... :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Re: HIGHWAYMAN is laid up!!!!!!!

Postby mrgrey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:46 am

Man that sucks! Get better John and hope to see ya on the H20 this season!
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby Rorke » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Get better soon, Lynch!

I hope that the injury isn't anything too serious. Also, I hope it happened on the last day of your trip!

We can rehab together on the flats whenever you are up for it.
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby jpavy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:14 pm

I bet you got a Hell of a story with injury! Get better soon.
jpavy
Chop Wrestler

Postby V » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:22 am

Mr Lynch that sux. Hope you heal up. I'm sure you will...!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 am

Hey John,

Heal up fast and hope you get back on the water quick. What happened? At least you'll have a good story.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby hammer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:09 am

Oh Man John, remember those earned turns at the Loaf, get better and I look forward to some Lake MI downwinders with you!
hammer
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby JDL » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:42 pm

Thank you for the thread West and thank you for all the kind words and concerns, Boyz. I was skiing around the Revelstoke, British Columbia, area w/ my good buddy Timmy. At the very start of our third day skiing I took a smallish drop, 12-15', landed feet first and bounced on impact from firmer snow than anticipated. I immediately began tomahawking and felt my left leg snap on first rotation knowing I had broken shit. The remoteness of our location and the necessary transport for proper medical attention took its toll by allowing the leg to swell significantly to the point of not allowing for surgery.

The real story of interest was the next three days spent In a small/rural Canadian hospital w/ crazy conditions. My leg was still broken, I was high as a kite on everything they gave me, and alone and scared. When it became evident on the third day that I was not going to under go any procedures I knew I had to get out of their. My wife and close friends back in the states made it happen and I was out of Dodge; another story unto itself.

I have always been a traveler looking forward to the next adventure but never had I wanted to be somewhere more than home. Immediatley upon return pins were inserted into my left leg to support the soft tissue. I will undergo surgery late in the month to repair the complicated breaks and I cannot wait. I look forward to the process of recovery and plan on being strong. I am well.

Life is funny. Laying around flat on you ass brings perspective. As a close friend recently toll me...I have an opportunity to breathe in all the blessings of life that surround me...truer words have not been said.

See ya'll this fall...
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby Northerner » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Sorry to hear about your accident John. Sounds pretty serious. I hope you healing process goes well and that your spirits continue to say high.

Keep us posted
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Rorke » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Yes! Lynch is going to have to go strapless!
Autumnal Strapless Domination!

My cousin who got me into kiting went through that same Fib Tib snappage.
The bad news......he doesn't kite anymore.
The good news........he is too busy hucking off hugine cliffs in the Utah backcountry.

In the meanwhile, come up for a sail when it's a little warmer.
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T

Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 am

Made it down to see Lynch the day we brewed at Matt's house...John lives a little south of Crown Point, across the border in Watseka, Illinois. He was being attended to by his lovely wife and two children, and was waiting on the swelling to go down so he could have his surgical procedure...

Todd Giesler and Jimbo came over from da haven and we hung out with John and a childhood buddy of his...it was great to be able to see and talk to him about the accident...Overall his attitude was tremendous; he was stoked to be back in his home and surrounded with family and friends. He has a great support group, that's for sure...

At that time he was uncertain as to who would perform the surgery...I am happy to write that he found a doctor in Indianapolis that he felt very comfortable with and had his surgery this past Monday. He told me that the surgeon was very optimistic about his recovery as long as he maintained his rehabilitation schedule, which will no doubt be very challenging...

All injuries and subsequent surgeries are different and have their own inherent challenges as we all know, but one thing I am certain of is the resiliency of John Lynch...I am confident that he will be back and riding by fall, so much so, that I will be making him a new 138 to attack the endless amount of downwinders that still await him on the BIG LAKE....the surfboards and paragliders are just gonna have to take a back seat to DESIRE...the desire of the BREEZE to return to twin-tippin and shoreline skippin with his BROS!!!

Keep your spirits high buddy, and heal up one day at a time... 8)
West
Wind Whore

Postby West » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 am

They call him THE BREEZE, and he keeps rolling down the road..... :) :) :)

Well, it's been a haul for Mr. John Lynch....but the boy has been working hard for this day to come....gonna meet up with John somewhere between MC and St Jo today and if all feels well and looks good, he is gonna slip onto a board and give it a few spins.

He has put himself through a rigorous rehabilitation program that would destroy mere mortals, and is now on the precipice of a major accomplishment....I laud his commitment and determination to return to the passion of the kite....great job buddy, can't wait to see that SMILE, and the boyz have been missing you on the downwinders, so saddle up that Brokite 138 Hybrid and ride like THE BREEZE!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby West » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 am

Talk about an EPIC downwinder.....watched John hug the jetty at MC for a few tacks, getting his "sea legs" back; cruised with him for a bit and then I saw the sign.....a wave of LET'S GO, and on down the coast, as the bros fly....mc to new buff!

What a thrill to see John back on the water and shoreline skippin right along with us, just STOKED....still some more rehab to be done and some strengthening to occur, but the Breeze has accomplished the goal of kiting by FALL......kudos my friend and damn glad to have you back.... :D
West
Wind Whore

Postby Pier » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 am

Good job John!

You said fall 2013 and there you go: perfect timing.

Kudos to you.

I missed yesterday but I'm sure we will have an opportunity to ride together soon looking at the forecast!

:wink:
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Resident Windfreak

Postby jensmadwind » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:57 am

awesome

great to hear of your successful rehab.

can't wait to see you on the water.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby JDL » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:14 am

My path is no different than the many who have taken on the challenge of making themselves better thru hard work and sacrifice; but I cannot imagine the journey without the support of my family and good friends. When I got on the water my anxiety and fear were quickly replaced by kiting...the immersion in nature, the power of the kite transferring into the power of spirit and the sharing of stoke w/ the BRO's...the best downwinder ever and one of the best days of my life. My kids (7 and 9) brought tears to my eyes when I got home because they were so proud of me.

So very few are afforfed this opportunity and far less act upon it. Get out and get off as often as possible.

Thanks Boys...

See ya'll tomorrow... :D
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby Rorke » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:26 am

Lynch,

You are one strong son of a gun.

As someone who is lucky enough to call you "friend", I am not surprised by the comeback. However, like everyone, I am impressed.

I can't wait to dominate with you on little kites in large waves in thick wetsuits.

Rorke
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T

Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby kwk » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Great job on the rehab and glad you are back on the water. Hope you can make it to Corpus this spring.
Keith
kwk
Master of Kite

Return to Open Forum