Who likes good beer!?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Who likes good beer!?

Postby xwindsurf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 am

Matt,
Thanks for the invite, what a great day that turned ever so gently into the evening... The way good beer lubricates the passage of time.. Incredible.
You are an artist, no matter how hard people tried to bring some decent brew from microbreweries, the thing you had in that fridge (Zombie Dust, right?) was straight from another world.
West, I couldn't wait for your shrimp but I hope there'll be many opportunities to make up for it in Corpus Christi!
Great to meet you all, guys!
Last edited by xwindsurf on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby Pier » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:01 pm

We had an awesome time, thanks Matt for having us.

Pretty cool setup for home brewing and your Dust clone was really good.

Can't wait to see how the hop slayer will turn out in May/June!

Dimitri, thanks for taking pictures yesterday.
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby mrgrey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Appreciate everyone coming out and hope to see ya on the water sooner than later! Thanks for bringin some great beers to share and the food was fantastic too... polish, brats, mussels, salmon, guac, and the list goes on... Nice to get to know the crew a little better. Thanks again.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Man oh man.......yeah ever so gently into the evening, and into the wee hours of the early morning I must add...the beer's of Matt's fabulous, really fabulous, what a great set-up, the man is passsionate!!!

Food out the wazoo, Dimitri was cooking it up on the grill, brats, salmon,oh oh, and the mussels, out of this world Tom, you are quite the chef indeed...... 8)

The pic pretty much says it ALL, SMILES all around (Dave is not in the pic and had already left to catch up with his family).....so cool to see all the kiters gathered together and having a blast off the water, now we'll have to set up something for a get together after one of our first Spring sessions...If this happening is a precursor for the upcoming kiting year, WATCH OUT!!!!!!!

Matt, thanks for hosting and brewing and sharing the fruits of your labor, and you are on to something buddy...I can see the vision allready....a slew of kiters rounding the jetty and pulling into st joe, TG dropping his tailgate and serving hot soup in the parking lot and Matt opening up a cooler and passing around some freshly bottled skydaddy brews...cold, tired kiters with smiles all around, NA ZDRAVI!!!!!!

I would be amiss to not mention the Vinyl......a trip down memory lane....I realized how late we stayed up when we were cleaning up this morning and I saw the stack of albums that were next to the turntable....the last 5 bear mentioning....the evening ended with PINK FLOYD UMMAGUMMA, BLIND FAITH self titled, ALLMAN BROS To Eat A Peach, ROBIN TROWER Bridge of Sighs, SANTANA self titled..........every one a mammoth classic, front to back; from '69 to '74....forty damnyears old and sooooooooo damn goooooooood it is absolutely ridiculous. To see the albums spinnin around at 33 1/3 rpms, and to hear the sound off the vinyl was simply timeless, the way it was intended to be heard, kudos Matt!!!!

If we havent' been banned by Jenn, then we would stoked to come back someday for a repeat... :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby West » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Just caught myself humming Ice Cream Man.....how bout Mike picking up matt's guitar and rolling into a rendition of the VAN HALEN classic Ice Cream Man.....g g g guaranteed to satisfy, st paddy top hat and all......one of these days Mike, we gonna get you to come out of retirement buddy!! 8) and you carry a spare light and bulb, imagine that.....keep on rolling down the road, just remember women and children first :D
West
Wind Whore

Postby IVO » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Great party Matt,agree with Tom,Zombie Dust clone was as good as original,would buy some from you next time you"ll make new batch!Too bad we didnt try to walk on the hot coal in am,maybe next time :lol:
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks a ton for doing this Matt! Great beers all around. I had to choke down a Miller lite at some point cause of all the flavor invading my mouth was too much, then I was right back to some blondes and browns. Thanks to the guys that stayed the night for helping to clean up the next morning. I know we left a mess when I left that night so that's much appreciated. Now let's all settle down in our homes, West you shake those rocks, Urban you stay away from any and all water, and everyone else work your voodoo and let's get the season kicked in!!!
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby V » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:09 am

Matt, thanks man! It was great to have some time with the boys this weekend. Much appreciated, nice to meet some newer guys like Dave, etc. as well. Dimitri thanks for doing Ivo's job :-) and to Derek for the ride...
V
Unstrapped!

Postby sailfish » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 pm

What a great time! Matt, thanks for organizing this and sharing your brewing magic and spectacular man cave.
It was great to meet all of you and fun to hear some good stories.
V, Adrien and others, thanks for keeping this forum going!
Dave
sailfish
Chop Wrestler

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Job well done Matt! You are a heck of a hostmaster to our immoral kiter majority and I do think you have earned the rank as our Lake MI crew's official brewmeister. I concur with all other plaudits!! See ya all on the water soon enough!!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby mrgrey » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks again guys I was hoppy to do it! To be honest I am gonna need some help to drink that much beer before it loses its massive hop flavor and aroma burst! I gotta devise a way to get it to ya in quantity... Gotta think bout that one... Hmm
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby mrgrey » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 am

Alright Gentlemen! Beer cleared up, fermented nicely, and happy to report that initial taste was awesome! We achieved 10.1%ABV and made a very nice IIPA. It is now dry hopping nicely and will be ready for kegging mid week and set for carbing. Beer has a nice crispness with a floral and earthy undertone that finishes with a nice honey flavor from the TWO POUNDS used during the boil. Beer is clear and color matches something like a nice pale that is visible through. After all is said and done we will have about 6.5 gallons of finished product that I will need help to drink!!

If we figure on doing 22oz bombers there will be about 35 bottles of goodness.

If anyone is interested in purchasing some of the good stuff I will sell it at cost, w/ no mark-up in 22 oz. bottles, provided there is enough interest, otherwise its gonna go to kegging and cellaring. This will help fund the next brewing party that we will have to plan for a lazy summers day. I envision Mikey throwing a release party with some homemade pies in another month.. hint...hint...

BEER INFORMATION:
SkyDaddy Brewing Co. Gale Ale
10.1% ABV
70-100IBU
1.091 O.G.
1.016 F.G.
Hops:
Simcoe, Citra, Chinook, Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus

Grains:
19.5lbs Pale 2-Row
4.0lbs Vienna Malt
1.2lbs Crystal 20
11oz Cara-pils
8.8oz Honey Malt
2.0lbs Honey

This was a BIG ass beer...
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Always ready to buy 12pack of good stuff Matt,..if you gonna make clone of Zombie Dust,sure I'll get more,there's someone ready for good beer all the time

Mahalo! :wink:
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby xwindsurf » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 pm

I'd love to buy a 6-pack, at least!
Forgive me ignorance but when will it be ready to drink, and how long would it stay at the top of its aroma?
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby dbur » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:39 pm

I'd love to get some of this stuff for sharing with fiends... I'm afraid this is gonna be the longest running thread on this forum.
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 am

Alright, we gotta book a fire oven parteé!!....
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby mrgrey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 am

WaWaZat wrote:Alright, we gotta book a fire oven parteé!!....

That may just be in order... SkyDaddys "Gale Ale" release party hosted by 3ME Kiteboarding! Beer should be ready in another 3 weeks or so... I would shoot for sometime mid May?

To answer how long it will be good for... well... they say within 6 months of bottling. Everything I hear says more like drink within 3 months. Anyway I am gonna order up a case of bombers and use the other 12oz bottles left from the party to package it all up... will keep yall in the loop..
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:26 am

I'd be interested in some as well. Especially if it funds future beer and pies. That's like a Matt Mutual Fund of Beer! I'm all in and backing up the truck...
V
Unstrapped!

Previous

Return to Open Forum