Regarding Thermal Block...

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Regarding Thermal Block...

Postby mrgrey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:46 am

Going in to a warm weekend with cold lake temps I am looking in to taking advantage of the SSW-SW blow this weekend and was curious about the set up. Only getting in to my second spring, could this setup be prime for a kill due to the conditions? Direction and speed look good for some Pure Michigan riding, but is this a situation where the 25 degree water to air temp is gonna swallow up the wind? If so Wolf may be my call... Don't wanna get skunked on a potential first day..
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Re: Regarding Thermal Block...

Postby adseguy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:07 am

This is a very good post at a good time too. You are correct. Anytime you've got hot warm moist air moving from the south or west and then it rides over cold water you will get that thermal block. That's the reason Michigan sometimes won't work when the temperature difference is too great. Air on Saturday will be damn near 60 and water is still in the high 30*. This is prime for a thermal block when the wind passes over the lake. No matter where you are the wind is going to be gusty since it comes from a low pressure storm. The more south west and the higher in Michigan you go the more that wind travels over the lake, so beware.

To continue the topic: Does the opposite happen in the fall? Slight cold N breeze gets warmed up by the lake to create additional knts?
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Re: Regarding Thermal Block...

Postby V » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Fall north thwrmal winds ... It happens...
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum