Maui - US Airways... bring or rent or lesson

Did your time away from the rat race serve you well? Don't hold out on the crew. Post the details so we can rent the room you trashed last week.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Maui - US Airways... bring or rent or lesson

Postby rpeter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:08 pm

I was going to bring my 9 and 12 with TT in a golf bag, but it sounds like that's becoming risky, especially leaving Maui. Has anyone flow US Airways with a "golf" bag recently? Their baggage policy pretty clearly states that a golf bag must have only golf clubs in it, so apparently that means they can make you open it to check? Not really a risk I want to take with the potential oversize charges they could hit me with.

I leave Friday night, so I guess I could still ship the board and check the kites, but it sounds like I should have a 7m with anyways. Am I going to be OK with a 9m at 165lb? The wind forecast tells me a 12m would be fine, but I hear people are on some pretty small kites.

I couldn't find anywhere to rent since I don't have IKO certification, but I would say I'm an intermediate rider these days (live up in Appleton, WI).

I'd really appreciate some advice!
rpeter
Board Slinger

Re: Maui - US Airways... bring or rent or lesson

Postby Kevin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:59 pm

I've made Maui an annual trip like the last 4 years. Never once had a problem with my "golf" bag, but I've always flown United or American. Make sure it's under 50 lbs. Tip the curbside guy (at least 10 bucks) - in Maui they usually have guys that can help you with your bags that serve the same purpose. I've never put a club in the bag, but maybe not a bad idea to throw in a putter. Then you could say "clubs and sporting goods" if asked but I've never been asked.

I usually go in fall but went in April once. I'm 185, and I just bring my 9 and 12 and most days I'm on the 9. If I were you I'd consider bringing 3 kites, it's always nice to be on the right sized kite. I've rented directionals there, and assume you could rent a tt someplace if you wanted. Call a few shops there are a bunch, i.e. big Naish and Cabrinha stores. Have a blast you're going to a kitesurfing mecca. Get your ass there by 11 every day and maximize your opportunity to ride!

Kevin
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby rpeter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. I checked out United's policy and they have a kiteboard policy that would pretty much require $100 each way due to the 62 linear inch rule L+W+H. They also clearly state that golf bags can't contain anything but golf equipment. American is similar.

Maybe I'll take my bindings/fins off and wrap my board in bubble wrap with a name tag just in case they call me on the golf bag. Then I can pull out the kiteboard and call it a boogie board, because that's apparently OK! Throw some compression straps on the golf bag to shrink it down to size. I think it would be $60 each way for two checked bags on US Airways, which is a bit more reasonable.
rpeter
Board Slinger

Postby adseguy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:15 am

I've never had a problem on United, AA, or SouthWest with my "golf Bag", but if you are paranoid then curb side check-in is the way to do it. Tip at the beginning something like $10-$15 and you'll breeze through.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby rpeter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Flying out of Milwaukee... I checked and curbside didn't seem to be available. I think I'm just going to stop stressing, pack up the golf bag, and just hope for the best. Can't wait to get there!
rpeter
Board Slinger

Postby IVO » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 pm

rpeter wrote:Flying out of Milwaukee... I checked and curbside didn't seem to be available. I think I'm just going to stop stressing, pack up the golf bag, and just hope for the best. Can't wait to get there!

dont stress it,not worth it,put on a big smile and off for the adventure.Actually easier to fly from Maui,use curb side,tip and you wont have any problems.I was flying back with my new 6'1 shaped by Kazuma,fees is 175$if not mistaken..I chat with the "curb brother" for a while about board,island ect.I asked how much he smiles back at said 30$...i asked him to take good care of it and later on I saw him carrying it around like his own surfboard inside transit 8)

Take a tons of pictures and make sure to stop at Ho'okipa,Good luck

[youtube]pg0c_XKLPgE[/youtube]
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby rpeter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 am

Golf bag worked well, no extra fees! Only got one kiting session in due to it being a family vacation. I think I had my 9m out in some absolutely wicked wind. Unreal session with the sea turtles popping up for air nearly at my feet! Definitely need to do more ocean/sea kiting in tropical paradises. Beats the algae in Lake Winnebago any day :shock:
rpeter
Board Slinger

Return to Kitesurfing Vacations