Lake thermals

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Lake thermals

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Mon May 06, 2013 10:43 am

So I've been tracking the forecasts for the last couple of days and I found the following:

Many sites were saying that the wind on a particular day was supposed to be around 8 9 mph. The buoy information usually showed the 16 17 and climbing sometimes up to 21mph. Same for today. Predictions say 12mph, windonthewater.com shows 17 for Waukegan harbor. Would it make sense to say that the cold water and the nice weather is creating some nice thermals for these last couple of days? Is this the thing to look at weather patterns to get more riding in in the Chicago area?

Yeah yeah I know living here about 3 years now and I still don't get the lake weather :oops: :oops:
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Re: Lake thermals

Postby Windhound » Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am

In my experience the cold water and warm air usually results in lower than forecasted wind. However, nothing this spring has been normal. I have seen a few thermal patterns, as you have described, that I would not normally see until summer when the water and land have warmed significantly.
Windhound
Sand Bagger

Re: Lake thermals

Postby snowball » Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm

This occured the last few days. Was much windier at waukegan beach then inland. :)
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Return to Open Forum