Intro, Moving to Chicago from SF

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Intro, Moving to Chicago from SF

Postby Andy_from_California » Tue May 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi Chicago Area Kiters,

Thought I would introduce myself and ask a few questions. The folks over at bayareakiteboarding.com recommended I check out this forum - lot's of good info on the site about the ins-and-outs of kiting in Chicago.

I am an intermediate kiter from SF moving to Chicago for business school in the fall, and wanted to say hi to what is undoubtedly a tight group of folks. If I had grown up in the midwest I probably would not have thought to get into kitesurfing, but the bug bit me in Hatteras, NC 2+ years ago, and I've since hit the SF-Bay Area spots (Alameda, 3rd Street, Waddell, etc) as much as wind and work would allow over these last two years. My sanity is on the line here. :p

I will be living in Evanston for the next two years and wanted to ask --- how viable is it to get many kite days in without a car? I *could* bring out a car from the west-coast, or buy one when I get here, but I'm curious to see if anyone has made it work with just Zip-car/I-go to get to Waukegan etc., or if there is are many people carpooling/gas-splitting on the weekends to the regional sites. I realize that if I want to maximize my kite days in the fall that I won't be able to scooch by at Montrose alone.

Many thanks, and look forward to meeting everybody at the beach!

-Andy
Andy_from_California
Board Slinger

Re: Intro, Moving to Chicago from SF

Postby adseguy » Tue May 14, 2013 3:38 pm

You've got all the right ideas. Your main beaches are probably going to be Waukegan and Montrose. The the prodominent wind direction is N and NE besides all the S and SW to balance it all back out.

1.) Train/Bus - That'll get you to Montrose fairly easily
2.) Zip Car - Probably your best bet. Lots of people use this option, but it can turn expensive if you use it a bunch
3.) Rides - Also a good bet, but you'll have to coordinate with people. This also gives you the option to explore the Michigan side which is a must for any new person to the area. Get a downwinder in one of these days. Don't hesitate to post up and PM/text people to see if they'll swing by and pick you up. That's exactly what this forum is for!

You'll need a certification (IKO or PASA) to kite Montrose. Read the FAQ for more on that or PM me.

Hope to see you on the water then!!
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Andy_from_California » Tue May 14, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks for the notes Adrien! I think I'll start off car free, and see how far that gets me.

I'm going to either get my PASA or IKO card before I leave town in SF, or out at Kitty Hawk Kites at the latest. Looking forward to investing in a dry suit (Ocean Rodeo Soul?) and trying out freshwater kiting for the first time.
Andy_from_California
Board Slinger

Postby V » Tue May 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Yea what he said. There's a few kiters in the Evanston area. I think bumming rides gets old so pitch in for gas and a beer and that makes it easier.

Waukegan and Zion are your main spots. Montrose too. Definitely head around the south side. Great riding to be had (if you did have a car!)...
V
Unstrapped!

Postby snowball » Wed May 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Basically what they said above ^. Often you will want to go to zion, sheboygan, etc. to get the best conditions so having a car does come in handy. Free street parking is usually available in Evanston unlike lakeview, downtown, etc. where parking can cost you hundreds a month.

Be sure to go to buff joe's they have really good wings in Evanston haha cya on the water :)
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Andy_from_California » Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks guys. Can't wait to jump into it. If you see a guy out there doing massive airs and crashing backwards, that's probably me. :wink:

I can't tell you how many people have told me about the chicken wings in Evanston. I've visited twice, and still haven't gone. Sounds like good kiteboarding fuel.

See y'all in the fall.
Andy_from_California
Board Slinger

Return to Open Forum