BROUNION 2013

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

BROUNION 2013

Postby West » Wed May 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Been hangin with the BRO crew down in Corpus for the last couple of weeks.....had several kiters stopping by for some riding, and Jerry and I have been testing out some of our boards in the Laguna......funny thing is today Jerry was taking a lil vid action of some riding up in Brazil today and commented that my board was making the wildest sound as it screamed over the lightly textured flat ass water we were annihilating with our 7m kite.... mindblowing conditions that left us shaking our heads, the turns we were laying down were full throtttle on glass.........the wind was up and down for a bit but it is ON now, looking like a solid week plus of 20-30 knots!!!!!!!

Like always we will attempt to post some pics and vids, until then just imagine riding toeside for over a mile just inches away from the shoreline on SHEER GLASS on a 7m lit up 8)
West
Wind Whore

Re: BROUNION 2013

Postby jensmadwind » Thu May 16, 2013 7:33 am

Sounds great!!! I will be thinking of butter and 30 knots this week, seeing as how there is no wind in the forecast up here. I do have last fridays excursion to wiscos maui to keep me going though. it was classic
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Fri May 17, 2013 10:54 am

Good to know you are getting some up in Manitowoc, Jens........ :wink:

Well we grabbed some surf action yesterday....head to head and a half out in the Gulf. Sure nice to drive the beach in Texas, what a scene down there when it is happening...kiters, surfers, partiers, sunbathers, beer, sun....all up and down the beach, trucks backed down to the water's edge...quite a scene indeed....miles and miles of sand and waves and wind!! 7's and 9's LIT. Prob back in the laguna today for some more flat water madness.......wind shows no sign of relenting......Greg and I are finally kiting through our soreness, and have been trying to not get too much sun......gonna kite the next several days and then head back to Chicago.

Jerry and I are in the process of setting up the demo boards for this year; some will remain in Corpus and some will head back up to Chicago with me....if there is a particular board that you want to try then let me know and I will attempt to bring one back to Chicago to demo. We also have a few remaining demos for sale from last year, all in good to great shape.

We will post a track of Maggie cruising over to Brazil and back from the other day when we were all holding down 7's............crazy shiz
West
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Sat May 18, 2013 8:14 am

Manitowoc is good, but the best waves are much closer to home.

Great updates West, sure wish I could be down there with the Bro's, I can image you guys on that glassy water with 7's screaming.

Get some pics up so you can show the common folk what there missing
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sat May 18, 2013 9:02 am

a stab at a lil humor there Sheriff, sure wish you could make it down but with the bun in the oven.....hope Reyna is doing well, give her my best, and remember West is used as a middle name. :)

we made it back up into Brazil yesterday....not a cloud in the sky, birds and fish in abundance, of course no one but the BRO crew and 25 knots with endless glassy waters....Greg found an island at the perfect angle and trolled it for an hour back and forth laying down turns both ways; he has now effectively taken his riding to a new level. Laying down turns repetitively like that in such controlled conditions allows you to dial it in....being able to crank turns each ways without a thought is the ticket to not having favorites and gives one the ability to ride waves on both tacks!!! So by tearing up the flats with precision, it sets you up to rip the waves with aggression, how beautiful is that.....

Commencing day 6 in a row with 4 more WINDY days predicted......of course my biggest kite is a 9m, so a windy day means a windy day.....OOOOOHHHHHHH gotta love CC, the windiest spot in the continental United States of America!!!!!!

off to prep the gear for the day, been riding the 138 Freeride to check out it's range and to be able to compare it with the 134 Freeride and the 138 Hybrid....gotta replace a bladder in Jerry's kite, tune my lines which must be done every several days due to the intense pressure on the lines due to the hundreds of turbo turns a session (Please learn how to tune your lines and do it regularly, otherwise you are greatly diminishing the responsiveness of your kite...it is unbelievable to me that veteran kiters rarely if ever check their lines, :shock: BAFFLING!!!!!!!!!!!)

time for some breakfast tacos and some hot sauce.....adios
West
Wind Whore

Postby JDL » Sat May 18, 2013 9:30 am

Shiz...that's what I'm talking about. Learning to go left as profecciently as right; that was my plan for CC this year. I sure miss the Texans', the simplicity of Jerry's backyard and Maggie's garden peppers. Get that 138 dialed for me, SkipJack, and bring it on home.

Work hard, learn something and have fun....what more can a guy ask for?

Good winds and safe travels BROS
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby Northerner » Sat May 18, 2013 10:29 am

West, you should do a little vid on line tuning. I fully admit that is something I only do after the fact.

As for Rayna she's doing fantastic, though with the due date a week away she surprising has taken an aversion to my my dead baby jokes
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby g16362 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:31 am

Buckshot running down Kuau in the backyard

Maui G with his patented "twirlybird"

Buck stylin' it over Steve

kite like an Egyptian.....

can u say CROWDPLEASER!!!!!

double barrell butter spread....

how low can you go!!

better find Maggie, he needs some mouth to mouth....

maybe I can just rebuild that duck blind and stay for awhile
Eat your heart out Tom Cruise
Flatwater Overdose!!!!!!!!!

That's what we are talkin' bout....Our kind of PARTY!!!
g16362
Pump Master

Postby West » Sun May 19, 2013 7:49 am

Went to bed to the sound of the birds going off in the Laguna Madre, and woke up to the sound of the wind howling once again....25 already at 7 30, another hammering day. Yesterday tacked back up into BRAZIL and blasted it all afternoon...each direction allows for different angles for each of the individual ponds and canals in that kiting paradise...LIT 9m just hanging on for awhile, dragging fingertips in absolute glass...

Sure as hell miss you here Breeze, we got your space reserved for next year though bruddah, all the BROS have sent their best to you and wishes for a complete speedy recovery...you will be laying down turns on that 138 soon my friend......... 8)

Should be epic here at Jerry and Maggie's today, so we will probably just hang out close to home and kite a couple of sessions.....hangin' on the backporch, hootin' and hollerin' at each other and enjoyin' a bit of liquid refreshment as the sun makes it's Texas slow waltze across the sky and the wind just whistles on......
West
Wind Whore

Postby Pier » Wed May 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Man, that sounds awesome, love the pics and the stories!

I need to get down there one of these days...I could even learn how to ride a twintip!...maybe...

Can't wait to have you guys back in the area, Mother Michigan is waiting for some killer downwinders!

Cheers
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Return to Open Forum