BLUESFEST....2013

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

BLUESFEST....2013

Postby West » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:57 pm

Always a great time at the Bluesfest in Grant Park...the world's largest free blues festival in the world. Come enjoy some great tunes with the backdrop of the city. Get some fried catfish, grab a brew, sit on the curbside and listen to the bands sing away the afternoon and into the evening. Watching the sunset and the lights on the buldings begin to glow from there is spectacular.

Gonna set up in the Petrillo Shell field on the lefthand side when facing the stage. Setting up a BROKITE banner to mark the spot. Stop by and meet some fellow kiters, and hear the BLUES up close and personal.....will be walkin' around all day but will set up banner bout 5 or so....chairs are always a bonus, otherwise bring a blanket or towel to sit on...Fest ends about 10, there will be food and beverages there, but you can bring in food, sodas and water...
West
Wind Whore

Re: BLUESFEST....2013

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Ahh yeah... what's better than movin' & groovin' to the sounds of Chi in the great Chi park in front of the Chi skyline with the greatest Chi crew?!! Wouldn't miss it!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Today?
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Uh oh.... the date police strike again.............. he DOES have a point on this one though West..........
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:36 pm

the Blues fest is 7th, 8th and 9th....I will be there Fri and Sat.....whatever day is best for you stop on by....looks like a sunny couple of days 8)
West
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:01 am

Well we shoulda known you were such a blues jam diehard West. I'm gathering a bit of a crew for Sat and hopin' to see the BRO KITE flag wavin' us all in then!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby mrgrey » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:11 am

Gonna try and make it Saturday... BTW I hear that this guy might know something about blues/jazz....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=49 ... 6569832011

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=50 ... 9838541021
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:38 pm

forget the megaloops soulbrother..thats filthy and love how its deep rooted! absolutely rippn the key board..killer!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby mrgrey » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Just got my hall pass from the wifey for Saturday and flyin solo!!... gonna hop the South Shore from East Chicago or Gary and check out the fest. Hopin to see sum guys that can help fill in some of the holes in my memory from the Brew Party! (maybe I dont wanna know lol)

FSP wrote:forget the megaloops soulbrother..thats filthy and love how its deep rooted! absolutely rippn the key board..killer!

Thx brother...Little known fact about me that I've been ticklin the ivories for sum years now... Had an opportunity to play at the Chicago Blues Fest with a group a couple years ago and can't remember why I had to turn it down. I have never been a great piano player, yet more at home on the hammond organ and fender rhodes...

...Couple a demo recordings from a while back used for auditions...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=44 ... 0709262856
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=47 ... 0001151874
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:58 am

Shoots Matt, if your brewpub dream never materializes, you can always pound them keys in the backrooms..... :wink:

Shake rattle and roll....shakin' em for that sunshine for the Blues....been to every Chicago bluesfest since 1997, usually for several days. It was my introduction to the Chicago scene; the music, downtown, the lakeshore...no matter the weather it has always been a highlight of the year for me. Hell I used to take my trainer kite and fly it in the park before it got too busy.

Over the years the days have been reduced from 4 to 3, the security has increased to reduce the backpacks of beer, and the acts have become focused more on the younger, growing bands rather than the established, traditional blues groups due to the decreasing budget. Still, it is splendid, and you always see someone new and different.

The beauty of the set-up is that the stages are spread throughout Grant Park and you can walk form stage to stage to see whoever you choose...I move quite often and rarely stay at a stage for more than a half hour....I will set up in Petrillo Shell field bout 5 with the BROKITE banner, and will get in line to get my hand stamped so I can get into the Shell later in the evening.

There are three acts during the day that are on my radar as must sees......1.)The Peterson Brothers at the Juke Joint 1-2 pm, I will be there for the entire set; 2.) Khalif Wailin Walter at the Front Porch 1:30- 2:30 pm; 3.) Larry McCray at the Front Porch 4:30-5:30....

The evening sets at the Shell will all be great....Otis Clay will be phenomenal, he was the first Chicago Blues Great I saw back in '94 at B.L.U.E.S. ....it happened to be on the anniversary of Otis Redding's death, and he did a rendition of SITTTING ON THE DOCK OF THE BAY that was simply mindblowing!!!!!! He is a blues, gospel, soul LEGEND..........

Come on down, bring a Frisbee, a chair, and drift thru the afternoon......
West
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 am

Consider the following before you try to strollin the gate with a 50 pack of bud-light.....
...time to mix up some Crystal Lite Lemonade ..."Absolute ly"

1.) What items are prohibited from being brought onto festival grounds?

Alcoholic Beverages
BBQ Grills (Open Flames)
Fireworks or Explosives
Illegal Substances & Weapons
Pop-up Tents/Canopies
Beach/Picnic Umbrellas
Flag Poles
All Pets (except Service Animals)
Failure to comply with the above may result in entry being denied. All containers will be subject to search. Bicycles may not be ridden on festival grounds.

2.) Can I bring a folding chair and blanket into the Chicago Blues Festival? Yes, but folding chairs are not allowed in the seating area of the Petrillo Music Shell.

3.) Can I bring a tent into the Chicago Blues Festival? Personal tents and canopies are NOT allowed at any lakefront events.

4.) What food vendors will be participating in the Blues Festival? tba

5.) Can I bring my dog with me into the Chicago Blues Festival?
No. For your dog's protection and for the public's safety, all dogs are restricted from the festivals and you will be asked to leave the festival with your dog. (This policy is supported by the Anti-Cruelty Society.)

6.) Is there an admission fee to get into the grounds of the Chicago Blues Festival? No.
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby FSP » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:20 pm

mike you took all the damn fun out of it. what about landboarding?
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Like To Kite » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Great time to be in Chicago, Blues Fest has always been a favorite for me too. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:45 am

they have enacted many rules over the years and you never know what will be enforced.....flags used to be a staple, maybe the banner will be ok, maybe not....nice to have a locator once it gets busy....regardless, I usually set up just inside the walking track that goes around the shell on the left hand side when facing stage....I know several folks are coming down today and looking like more tomorrow. Weather looks promising, just remember it is on the lake, and with the NNE coming in it will have a bit of spring in the air... 8)

I will be at the juke joint for John Primer's set, a Chicago mainstay bluesman, from 4:30-5:30....the small stage will offer a great chance to see him play up close and personal with a tight, tight group of musicians...........
West
Wind Whore

Postby West » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:09 am

OUTSTANDING Friday at Bluesfest, weather was great. Hung with Rena in Millenium Park and then met V, Clarisse and Lil D along with Greg and Lara down there. Saw some good shiz, but mainly enjoyed hanging in the park on a beauty of a day.

Questionable on the banner, but there is a, white 1 sign, in the Shell field that is inside the walking track....gonna set-up there for the evening show. Will be walking around a lot, but will be at the Crossroads stage on the left side from 1-2....

Backpacks will be checkd, but can manage to bring a few cold ones in if crafty......... :wink:

Enjoy the day....Happy Blusin'
West
Wind Whore

Postby mrgrey » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:12 am

Thx for the update West. I am hopping the south shore in Miller at 130 and be on the grounds bout three. Till then sippin home brew in the sun with the player spinning some John Mayall getting me ready for the show. Ready for some Tunes
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:49 am

great to see everyone....what a day!!!!!!!!! weather was great, music wonderful, and the group fantastic.......Awesome to have Marilys and Amanda in town to stop by.....funny "ass" stories about Mike and his VH days, cold brewskis and the Chicago skyline by the lakefront.....Goood TIMESSSSSS :D

Time to gather beachside after the next blow, for some of Matt's famed suds!!!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby V » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:15 am

Definitely a good time hanging out on one of the best days we've had this spring (for a non-kiting event that is...figured I should clarify that with this group)...

Seems like Bluesfest was smaller this year but it was still good times, good music and good catfish!
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum