Go Pro Warning

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Go Pro Warning

Postby Northerner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:43 am

Wanted to share a rather unfortunate event with everyone. On a great wave day and after capturing some amazing footage in long head high plus waves my Go Pro Hero 3 sank as I handed the camera to another rider for filming. We did the hand off well outside the surf zone in water that had less than a foot of wind chop on it.

I had the Floaty BacPac attached and the Go Pro Head strap mount, which I found to a amazing tool for hand held shooting. As you can adjust the head strap around your hand giving image stability, control of the shot, along with easy of kiting.

I was shocked as I watch the camera slowly sink before the other rider could get to it. So why did it sink? Not because the case opened as my thick gloves prevented any chance of undoing the locking mechanism or the case was cracked, but because of a design flaw at Go Pro.

When I called about my camera sinking in such an odd way I was told to my surprise, that the floaty is not designed to float anything but the naked camera and case. This important information is something Go Pro does not share or give a warning to on the packaging of the floaty BacPac in anyway or one any of the accessories. In fact the floaty BacPAc used with accessories is a common feature on many of the official Go Pro videos. Regardless the obvious communication error on their part they didn't seem interested in offering much to me but another surf kit camera for $160 off list price.

I received this in a follow up email from Go Pro:
"We do appologize for not clearly stating that the Floaty BacPac is not designed to hold up more than just the camera. Please be sure in the future to avoid puting any other mounts on the camera when using the Floaty BacPack"

So be careful with your Go Pro if you own one, don't expect the floaty BacPac to do its job and second don't expect a billion dollar company to communicate critical facts about their products to the end user.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Re: Go Pro Warning

Postby adseguy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:52 am

That's a big complaint on those, I've seen. I'm always testing if it'll float with the device it's attached too: Helmet, stick, etc. I think of it more as a just in case it cracks off whatever you are wearing, type thing. If you use them enough you're bound to loose them. I've gone through 3, one of which wasn't my fault. They are priced to be disposable/broken. Sorry to hear that. I've watched mine sink in a 30 foot deep raging reef.....I knew it was gone forever.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:03 pm

"Priced to be disposable or broken"? 99%of Americans would argue that $400 is not a price point that is "disposable" Only a person banging 1500 dollar a night hookers would say something like that.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:22 pm

I knew someone might say that, but they start out at $200 and in the movie business, or even amateur hour, that's a fairly disposable price point especially for the quality you get out of these. I definitely see where you're coming from though. I'm not happy when I lose one. I don't pay for my hookers, why do you think we find them in Wolf lake :twisted:
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:55 pm

That's total bs....it should float. I understand why it doesn't float without the floatie...its for diving as well. It would be liketryingto hold a balloon on your wrist under water.

How deep was the water. I'm guessing there not too much under water current?

I was amazed at how shallow Montrose was when on the sup in clear calm water.

I hope you find it...miracles happen.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby droffats » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Not that we sell lots of these, but we can't order more from GoPro knowing that the primary sport we sell them for could cause our customers to loose their investment. The Floaty Back Door is marketed as the device to keep the camera from sinking. It never says anything about not using attachments. Nor would that be realistic. Kiteboarders almost have to use at least some type of attachment (mount).

Sorry GoPro, you lost us, but at least I won't have to deal with more PO'd kiteboarders.

- Stafford
droffats
Resident Windfreak

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:14 am

Huh...I posted earlier today on this thread and it's not there. Must not have hit submit.

I was there that day riding with Andrew and Jens who were doing the filming and the conditions were incredible. I really wanted to see a POV of those waves. Loosing the gopro sucked. Go Pro floaty that only floats the empty case? WTF? Kind of like putting a life jacket on a mannequin.

Not any fault of a dealer though. This ones on Go Amatuer.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby H2OKiter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks for the warning. I have to add some more foam to by Camera before it sinks, I have already donated a HD hero1 to the lake with no float on it when the mount snapped. GoPro know the sell crappy accessories and don't care because we come back and buy more cameras. :(
My new camera came with a much redesigned piece that replaced the one that broke. How a bout a email about it and a chance to buy the new version cheap...
The mounts have to cost less than $.25 each...

- DC
Dave Clark
H2OKiter.com
IKO Instructor & Guide
Traverse City - NW Lower Michigan Coast
http://h2okiter.com
H2OKiter
Sand Bagger

Return to Open Forum