Michigan This Weekend?! 6-22 / 6-23

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Michigan This Weekend?! 6-22 / 6-23

Postby Bryce FLK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 am

Headed to Michigan for wind water and waves and maybe some camping. Me the Girl and the Pup. No plan for where, but I am hoping to meet up with a few of you gents for beers and fun. Let me know whos doing what. Id like to set up a downwinder.... or two.

Also, if you think these south winds will do a reverse thermal and not blow enough... let me know!! Any predictions on where will be good?
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Re: Michigan This Weekend?! 6-22 / 6-23

Postby Rainmann » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 am

It is windy in Muskegon right now (it always seems to be windy there). If I had time I would head there or further north to LSP. I'm hoping it turns a little more SW and it may fire up further south in South Haven.
Have fun in Pure Michigan....where you can find the best beer and beaches on the big lake!
Rainmann
Pump Master

Postby mrgrey » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:27 pm

I am leaving for Muskegon St Park with my wife and daughter tonight and we are stayin through Monday night. Couple of the hoosier boys are on the way up on Sunday morning, picking me up along the way, and heading to LSP. Hope to ride all day there..

If I gots this right, the LSP wind machine should be rockin on the SSW 15-20, Sunny, Hot 85-87F...I am sure the gurus can tell us what it will crank with that forecast.... THAT DUNE IS HUGE!!!
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:38 pm

got a jetski lined up and as of now the thermals off the pier are firing, so 1 minute drive by foot and plan to be on a 7m or 9. have access to a boat or ski and your in slick heaven by the pier. pure mc :D
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Bryce FLK » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 pm

If anyone has an extra spot for a tent anywhere from Grand Haven to LSP let me know!! All the state parks seemed to be sold out. Let me know your beer requirements ahead of time...
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Bryce check http://www.hideawaycampground.com/

I did a pretty last minute trip. Check them out $35 a night and very close to the beach at LSP
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby noabacca » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Was anybody at LSP today (6/22)?

I took a peek 5pm and it was dead.

Tomorrow (6/23) has more wind forecast, it should be solid at the point, perhaps ridable to the south as well.
“All the above content is West's opinion and definitely should not be acted upon. The words are not a recommendation to do anything regarding any subject. West cannot and shall not be held liable for the actions of others, in any matter.” ≈V
noabacca
Master of Kite

Postby Bryce FLK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:28 am

We got it good at the Mecca yesterday. Pure Michigan!
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby mrgrey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:54 am

Bryce FLK wrote:We got it good at the Mecca yesterday. Pure Michigan!

No doubt. My first trip to the point on Sunday and it delivered rockin 80 degree warm 7-8m conditions. Boostin big airs, back rollin offa knee highs, and tonsa toe-side goodness and great people to boot. Not much wave action but provided great light chop/wave conditions to try new things. 5 hours on the water and legs were jelly, but conditioned fairly well to handle it.

Cleaned up Monday afternoon on a surreal 18m! session mowing the lawn completely powered on a flat water 8knt thermal at Muskegon State Park just cruising up and down the beach. Was bent back so far hangin on the lines draggin my hand through the water just soakin it in. Some times you just need a stroll in the park. Pure Michigan!
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 am

Glad you boys had fun at the Mecca....headed up farther North with Shocktop and Half-life....what a four day trip it was.....

Got a dwndr in at sunset on Friday with a 9m and head-high smooth peeling waves, dunes lit up with the glowing colors and the moon rising in the distance, Kuau running the beach with the sound of hooting and hollering from the BROS!!!!!! Camping next to the historic Betsie River with the moonlight screaming WAKE UP, WAKE UP.......

Saturday the Godfather sent his van with a buddy and 4 SUP's and we floated the Platte....WOW, the clouds pulled back, the sun came out and it was float, like you never floated before....putting them SUP's to work, carrying a cooler full of FAT TIRE and various sundries.....like I have said before, best use of a SUP is floating down a river with a flyrod, well, next time I will bring the flyrod cause the fish were everywhere.....what a day; tubes, kayaks, canoes all just crusing with the current....Kuau swam pretty much the entire way, though he had to jump on the SUP to get across Long Lake....good thing them things are that damn big, hell I could've fit 2 more dogs and a kitchen sink on that damn aircraft carrier!!!! :D

Sunday was epic NIRVANA.....the whole local crew showed up and the wind did it's normal thing.....pick up and blow like stink.....the amazing thing was to watch the waves form and build.....soooooo organized and picture perfect, with the green-blue water as clear as could be.....knee-high, to waist-high to head-high with a consistently building wind.....tacks out into Lake Michigan gave you wonderful views of the lighthouse, Sleeping Bear Dunes with the islands offshore, and the Frankfort jetty and the shoreline south.....the scenery is just unbelievable!!! We were invited over for dinner and Anna cooked up some salmon, pork, potatoes and a crazy-good salad, with warm bread and dipping sauce.....AW MAAAAAAAN, full meal deal!!!!! We made it out to the campsite and enjoyed the SUPERMOON in 3D, if you know what I mean..... :wink:

Monday, we started the day with our chairs in the stream and a breakfast beer as we took a cool dip in the pristine waters....we arrived at the Point with the fog burning off and whitecaps showing.....rigged our 9's again, and with the place to ourselves proceeded to whittle away the afternoon......we ended up, beat-up, tired and just sitting on the beach with the sun shining and the wind a blowin'....PURE MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby manasty » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:49 am

That sounds amazing. I'd like to get up to Pt Betsie more often. I heard LSP went off from others too. A few of us tried out the middle point, Ludington St Pk/Big Sauble Point and got it good Sunday too.
manasty
Board Monkey

Postby West » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 am

Yeah magical up there as you know.....funny thing is at our campsite the manager used to dive the Ludington Power Plant to powerwash the net.....he said he was on a covered barge once between Ludington and Pentwater and a couple of guys came by kiting, he said they followed them for about two miles down the lake, and one of 'em would boost over the boat......had to think it was Noah.....he said it was the coolest thing to see that kiter just lift off the water and start flyin'... :D

Hope to see you soon......did your board ever surface?
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:35 pm

oooooo weeeee cowboy thats some travel time in the bucket seat..u could a been to hatteras im guessin :D u know im lovin the stories, but im gonna have to give u that flat water 9m action from our offshore "mecca" overlooking majestic mt baldy and then a shoreline brew with the super moon one day. :D :D :D

gonna hate for summer on the beach to end in a couple months cuz grabbin impromptu sessions is a bizzare kind of kiting we do here but so thrilling. might do a little night paddling for some distance before those north winds start to jump it up a bit, and give promise.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Return to Where to Ride Today