Uncertified rider sneaking out at Montrose... 7/1

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Uncertified rider sneaking out at Montrose... 7/1

Postby skysurfr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:06 am

If you were the streamerless uncertified rider who launch next to or in the bird sanctuary and then repeatedly buzzed the bird "sanctuary" , you're going to totally f this up for everyone else.

Did you think nobody noticed you with the kite 100 feet in the air?

My prediction.... we won't be able to kite at Montrose in the summer any more ....probably sooner rather than later.

I asked the city to treat us like the adults we are, but many still want to act like children.

Did you get asked to leave by the guards when you landed in or next to the bird sanctuary, or did you manage to sneak back to your car and avoid the rest of the kiteboarders?
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: Uncertified rider sneaking out at Montrose... 7/1

Postby adseguy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:44 am

My scissors are packed. That is all. If you see shit like this don't expect the "regulars" to stop this. You ARE a regular if you have a streamer. Do something if you care about saving it. Every year the "prediction" comes about. I don't think it will happen if the guards and us are in place to follow/enforce the simple rules. We don't ban all drivers just because an idiot crashes once in a while.

Kite colors, Mike? Any other signs? It'll help us spot it next time.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby skysurfr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:35 am

Charcoal Black canopy with red tips.

It's worth thanking the guys who came to be beach, beginners and uncertified alike yesterday, who after an explanation decided not to ride.

Also, if you go to another beach, like Waukegan, just because there's no "rules" doesnt mean you can kite liike a maniac.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby zulutimer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 am

Another uncertified (no streamer) rider showed up later with a Cabrinha Switchblade (white/green trim) and I'm wondering if it was the same guy at the bird fence who walked back and rekited. Yow were all dressed for winter riding, already a dead giveaway - hoodie, gloves, booties - sunglasses and a GOATIE.

I shot downwind to him twice yelling at him for being too close to the beach and to get out of the water because of no streamer. He of course disregarded me and headed out farther upwind where he stayed. Staying upwind does not make it acceptable to ride with out a streamer. Frankly, you didn't appear a steady and solid enough rider to ride Montrose anyway. If seen again you/he will be flanked on the upwind side and F16'd to shore. The same should be done from now on for any rider seen without a streamer until he can explain himself.

This past weekend illustrated that regardless of the Rules, Notice to every one about active enforcement and Opportunity to comply, some riders either won't listen or don't care. On Sunday the Captain of the Lifeguards came all the way to us from the guardhouse complaining of the uncertified rider who rode straight through the beachers along the shore and had ot walk back. This is the same rider many of us know was told told by kiters on Saturday not to ride close to shore and to get a streamer. He will likely never get certified now.

Montrose is all about current, waves and chop, all of which wants to push you straight into the forbidden zone...
If you don't have the right gear to ride Montrose, then DON'T.
If you are not experienced enough to choose the right gear to ride Montrose, then DON'T.
If you can't ride the right gear to ride Montrose, then DON'T.
If you think you you're okay with the above 3 DONT'S, and on a typical North wind can't head straight out to the yellow buoy toward the hook, then you're not as good as you think. Turn around back to shore before its too late.

It is obvious that both self enforcement and other riders attempts to enforce, even at this point where we're under a microscope, isn't enough. The lifeguards will act on their own now as they did this weekend. Mike and I have have informed the guards to enforce as they deem appropriate, including pulling streamers.

I had to reprimand at least one person each day Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Its aggravating and cuts into my own session. I may carry a knife myself from now on - but it will be to let someone suffer the humiliation of having their streamer cut off. Think metaphors.

Paul
Paul
zulutimer
Kite Crew in Training

Postby skysurfr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:34 am

On a personal note....It's a total drag to have to show up and be the Beach Police....

This is my hobby and having to go chase people down takes the fun out of it.

Mike
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby skysurfr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:37 am

Our Saturday rider that got tossed out, 100% knew the rules and was 100% familiar with our issues at the beach.

Mike
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby skysurfr » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:45 am

That brings the total to 5 uncertified / No Streamer Riders yesterday. 2 never pumped up, 2 snuck out, and 1 came over from the dark side and made an appointment with Amanda to finish his certification.
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 am

The rider in disguise on the Switchblade's name was Roman. Nice guy, longer blond hair, claims to have been riding there since 1999. You other 2 pioneer kiters know him?? I saw the black kite so blatantly cruising the bird sanitary when I go there. Not sure who that was.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby STF » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Time to bring a little localism into the mix. Kite lines may be cut. Respect Mother M rules or get served...or in this case severed.

People have worked too hard over the years for some putzes to fuck shit up.
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Return to Open Forum