Should I be happy or feel like an idiot?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Should I be happy or feel like an idiot?

Postby skysurfr » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 am

I was along the Lakefront yesterday. As I went beach to beach I noticed several new SUP vendors. Chicago Surf is at Montrose, Chicago Paddle Co is at Hollywood, etc etc.....

Each vendor told me the same thing. They were really surprised to see the Park District opening all these new beaches and thought it was great. None of them had a clue about all the bs we went through to open the beaches. At Hollywood they were happily surprised when the CPD put in a designated launch area! It only took me over a year of dogging them to get the launches designated. LOL!

:shock:

I'd spent my time and my money trying to do the right thing for our water / wave/ wind community. Now all these guys get to make money off my work.

I can't imagine any of the money they make will be worth the time they put in, like most surfing ventures.

I've always been happy to "Serve" our local riders and do my bit for our community. However, when others start to profit off your volunteer work....it makes you wonder.
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: Should I be happy or feel like an idiot?

Postby dbur » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:17 pm

You should feel proud Mike, new vendors will be essential in turning more people into wind/water addicts thus growing our sport and securing beach access rights in the future...
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby snowball » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:24 pm

This ^ and we all thank you for your hardwork Mike.

I cant see renting SUP really being very lucrative after all the time it would consume. Maybe selling the boards and carbon fiber paddles could be worth it or if you could hire some hot girls to run it all day while you travel and go kitesurf lol
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby skysurfr » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Henry...you should open a Hooters style SUP school!
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Return to Open Forum