Older Naish Gear

If you got some new digs, thinkin its gonna help your kiting step-up to the next level, blow out your used gear here and watch that grom shred harder than you on your old kite.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Older Naish Gear

Postby mdpucker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Trying to unload this older Naish gear I've got and thought this would be a good first place to post it. All equipment is dated and is in decent condition. I have never used any of these kites so I'm not sure how well the hold air, but the previous owner said that he had a few leaks patched up.

10m Naish Aero II kite- $65
12m Naish Aero II kite- $75
16m Naish Aero II kite- $100
128cm Naish TT Pro complete board- $75
Bad & Lines- $25
Dakine Hawaii Harness- $25

Will be willing to sell all for $300

PM me if interested or email me at mhanley07@hotmail.com
Pictures are available
mdpucker
Sand Bagger

Re: Older Naish Gear

Postby IVO » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:06 pm

no problem to try to sell your gear here,would be good to ad how old your kites are, 2003ish?Possible?And if that is the case,you are selling antiques which has nothing in common with newer kites in terms of safety,depower ect.Not sure how you are able to tell equipment is in decent condition,since you havent used these kites.

I know there were guys on these forums,looking for similar gear as donation to use canopy for other products.
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:25 am

Dude....WTF?????????????

this is the kind of shiz that is BS.....ten year old kites you are trying to sell....you are trying to actually SELL a trip to the hospital!!!!

Yeah, I bet those bar and lines are BAD as you "list" 'em..........I'd have to wonder how you even ran across that CRAP, be amazed if you didn't just find it in the trash and try to profit off of someone's ignorance!!

You want to sell an old harness or an old board, oh well....but NOT ten year old kites.....that's a breach of safety etiquette........

Noticed that you don't have a location listed....just wondering if you happen to be a Chicago area kiter....If so, get a conscenisce and throw them dam old kites away or donate them for recycling, if not a "local" then stop trying to sell your CRAP on this site............. :-(

....reminds me of the time I "gave" a kite to a fellow kiter, only to see it listed on the Chicago forum "for sale" several years later...I'd love to hear the story of how you "acquired" these kites, and exactly what gave you the idea to get some "gas money" by trying to peddle 'em here....
West
Wind Whore

Postby mdpucker » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:30 pm

I did not know these kites were so worthless. Thank you for pointing out my mistake, although there is no need for the anger....

If anyone wants these UNSAFE kites, pay for shipping (from muskegon) and they're yours. I also still have a small and medium harness.

Contact me at mhanley07@hotmail.com
mdpucker
Sand Bagger

Postby West » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:29 pm

I've been around kiting long enough to see it's evolution.....Easily, the greatest progression in kiting is in kite design. The kites you are attempting to peddle are dangerous to those that you are trying to attract.....newcomers!! NO experienced kiter would want those kites if you paid them $300 to take them off your hands. Novices are your only "target"; and most likely they will not have any guidance from an instructor, cause there is no way in hell that any instructor would advise a student to purchase these kites.

The Aero 2 is one of the first 4 line kites, and has little to no de-power and is very difficult to re-launch which is why most of the time, that kite is retro-fitted with a 5th line....add to that, the fact that you have never had them in the air, are uncertain if they hold air and have no idea about the compatability with the bar and lines.....that translates to a dangerous situation for an unsuspecting kiter....

Some think it is BUYER BEWARE when it comes to kite gear.....I say that is UTTER FOOLISHNESS....you are responsible to the entire kiting community to which we all belong when you sell gear to others, especially beginners, there is a level of responsibility that comes with the territory. If you don't understand that, then I can only hope that someday you will!!!

As for the anger...I get a bit miffed when I see another kiter trying to pull off this CRAP on this site..... cause I have seen too many accidents resulting from beginners "ignorantly" buying OLD gear from Ebay or other kiting sites, and trying to teach themselves. It is hazardous to the beginner, to other kiters, and to beachgoers. It also jeopardizes beach access for kiting for ALL!!!!

Instead of trying to make a quick buck, look at the big picture, and recycle those kites. OR patch the pin holes and make sure the kites "hold air", check your bar and lines, and put those kites in the air and take them out for an hour sesh; then re-evaluate your desire to sell 'em, and ask yourself if you would want your best friend or your brother learning on those kites......if you can honestly answer YES, then so be it...but selling those kites without knowing anything at all about how they fly is SIMPLY RECKLESS!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:42 pm

i once had an experienced kiter who we all would know sell me a kite several years back that i trusted to just inflate and ride. In one of the first days of the spring season I had one tack to the outside to find out it had a debilitating leak that barely got me back and was pretty scary all alone. Never forget how cold it was that day and how pissed i was he sold me a kite with such an obvious leak. lots of new angles for people trying to sell all sorts of gear on the forum now...do beware and buy reputable.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby dbur » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:48 pm

I'd like to see a beginner lunch $100 16m Aero in on/off shore conditions... not

(no one who can ride would ever consider these kites even if they were free unless they needed them for a tarp or out of nostalgia)
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby bbrandon750 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Good on everybody that called out the garbage!!! As starting out I bought most of my gear off this forum due to the seriousness and passion people on here have for this sport. Things like this leave a bad rep of this sport and great community, the ones who met and will probably meet.
Epic Screamers
Epic Droid
Slingy Ignition.
bbrandon750
Chop Wrestler

Postby grigorib » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:32 am

The post needed a red flashing "not a beginner gear" sign. Kind of "cheap paraglider off eBay" deal :)
To be fair to seller though I'd give a try to antique kite somewhere on a safe flat spot, just to get a feel of the history and not that I don't love enough modern kites but just to be able to get the difference myself, not from a story. So pump them up, leave overnight and if they hold air and if fabric will pass the "thumbs test" I'd get one for myself.
And hey, BTW, no offense to LEI, but speaking of a decade old gear a 10 years old ARC for example is still a nice and fairly safe kite.
grigorib
Kite Crew in Training

Postby FSP » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 am

the gringo actually makes a valid point. And, if the winds are actually, in fact steady and one can forecast that, an older c kite is fine for learning in those conditions and would be ok. Here at mc we have rock solid summer winds out of the ne all the time in the afternoon and a solid powered kite without depower overkill might actually be desirable for learning! Depower is more of a safety thing as opposed to performance anyway. Your board skills will be a whole lot better without constantly depowering. Now having a chicken loop that you can realease is another issue and dont forget with older kites you must swim/outrun them for relaunch when down. again, the difficulty for a beginner would be predicting steady winds. today is another rock steady day so thinking i just my fire the ole spitfire up!!!! whoooowee
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:33 am

:roll: WOW!!!

....just don't get it.............we're not talking about a nostalgic walk in the park, we are not talking about experienced kiters giving a 10 yr old kite a spin for a kick..

we are talking about a beginner buying these kites and trying to learn on em....It's a safety issue!!

To be fair to the seller Grib you could just buy the whole package so that they don't fall into the hands of a beginner.

....I am absolutely dumbfounded by your post Scottie, you have gone over the top on this one.... a 10 yr old c kite actually more desirable for "learning" in the steady winds of MC........WOW!!!!! :roll:

So let me ask you this then Scottie, since you know when those rock steady winds are in MC, would you honestly attempt to teach your lovely daughter Chloe on one of these Naish Aero II kites from 2003?
West
Wind Whore

Postby grigorib » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:04 pm

:) "a cheap paraglider off eBay" deal....
grigorib
Kite Crew in Training

Postby dbur » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:19 pm

great, I just found couple wrist leashes in the garage... almost new, would work nicely with these kites...
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby grigorib » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:04 pm

It just needs to add a board leash and the kitesurfing doomsday package is ready :)
grigorib
Kite Crew in Training

Postby FSP » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:05 am

weeeesssst. hellyeah. if she didnt look at kiting as a bunch of old guys riding paragliders :lol: :lol: . (Shes off to college on a surf mission). i would give her the 16m spitfire on our seabreezes. you may not fully understand that we routinely get and just got 4 days in a row at 11 or 13 knots (now this would be 11 all day with no change mind you!), that for 15 years i have seen come then die to pick back up just at dark. Its a seabreeze and impossible to not predict if you know the circumstances. You wouldnt want to set the gear for much depower on these days for learning or it would make learning a joke anyway. What you would want to do is teach that person to use their board/butt as a brake and keep that kite flying as it should and i guarantee success would happen without all the danger you imply. learing to kite does not happen by shooting out the depower, sink and fall. it happens when you trust the power and manage it. faster the better.

Now, dont make this out to be anything other than a seabreeze that i know and trust. were not talking anything outside what i am specifically referring to. With the sandbars, and knowing these patterns, it may be as perfect as you may want for learning. In fact with too much depower i feel it has taken me longer to teach for what is essential wasting time. I am not worried about a storm, or surge or even a 2 knot gust, and know that there is no ability to be dragged uncontrollably. Knowing when to flag out a kite is by far the most critical of all.

Now you may be good at exaggerating, but I am not promoting this with old c-kites, but I will say that I do lessen the the dpower by a whole lot on these days for teaching and for the poor soul who cant budge for a new kite it could be done with detailed supervision. I hardly doubt folks are going to go rushing out to buy old c-kites and try and learn what i know about such conditions, but yeah chloe could do it!

now whos got that spare wrist leash cuz i see a seabreeze coming up for a 5th day!!!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:46 pm

It would be ideal if the purchaser of these kites could have the benefit of your knowledge of the optimal conditions to learn to fly the 10, 12, and 16 m AERO II; and the benefit of your guidance and supervision down there with the gentle seabreezes for learning in MC. But we both know that is a highly unlikely scenario.

On the other hand, here is what I found on the first page search for Naish Aero II kites; originally posted 2 years ago in which the beginning kiter who posts it writes : "i really dont have a clue what im doin when it comes to depower....."

1st response:

ha.  Just brought a areo 2 ten metre kite, rigged it up the other day in still conditions, thank god, cause it took me over a hour , cause it was my first kite... any advice o flying the things?

2nd response:

these things dont have much in the way of depower becareful with what winds you fly her in (all though over powered is the most fun ;) ) wouldnt have recommended it as a first kite myself 1. make sure you have a safety leash rigged that works good 2.always have a friend with you ( if it goes bad they can record it and later maybe save you :) )3. try it on slow speed low power first with the strap in the middle shortened too 4. if you have dependants make sure you have life insurance

........If someone buys these old kites at these prices it is highly doubtful that they are entertaining the idea of paying hundreds of dollars for lessons....the scenario above is the most likely....someone who is going to haphazardly teach themselves!! Just ask the Sheriff how many times he has witnessed this, just on his beach up in Sheboygan, and wonder if his response is "exaggerated"?

I commented on this topic with kiter safety in mind because I have seen TOO MANY kiters injured over the years. And it is just a shame when it happens to someone ignorant to the dangers of the sport, especially when the mishap involves other kiters and innocent bystanders. Unfortunately quite often the wannabe kiter purchases gear off of E-bay or other kiting forum sites with no knowledge whatsoever.........if I see a listing on the Chicago forum with gear this dated that someone is simply trying to capitalize on, then rest assured I will point it out!!

If you want to argue that these kites are actually more desirable to learn on in the right conditions with proper supervision.....then so be it Scottie
West
Wind Whore

Postby dbur » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:54 pm

dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:45 pm

i wish i would have known to hold out for just those mc days i know of, when i was on c-kites learning and a lot of frustration and bad habits would have been cut out. when i stumbled onto those days back in the beginning i clearly remember being drug off into the wind and then using my 119cm board to quickly edge and control that pull learning fast board skills. it took very little time to get going becasue i had to, and this board could control all that-which was good, and before a shackle realease was invented :D . in fact it taught me to edge and pop and drive hard turns early on that i now can enjoy. Having all the crazy depower and variance in very ssteady light winds is not helpful at all...PROVIDED its these conditions.

as far as instruction or explaining this dynamic, yes it is too bad some might not see this post. and if they do then they will know all hell can break lose if they dont follow these suggestions.

Just for you cowboy, and the good ole days, or for the challenge i will give the fella who buys those kites 2 or 3 days a week for as long it takes, to be here and get him riding safely for a can of miller light, if he just cant afford to buy up.

maybe ivo can autograph da gear for inspiration? letssss do this :D :D :D
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Gioro_T » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Yo, fo' real !

The kites were given away, already (to whom I do not know). I wanted them for the nostalgic "remember the good ol' days?" feeling ... Plus, they would've been radical !

- 'Yo, what is this old C kite you're pumping ?'
- 'It's a Naish Aero from 2003, dude !'
- 'RADICAL !!'

Hwa'HWhahwah !!!
Gioro_T
Kiter Noob

Return to Kiteboarding Equipment for Sale