Tuesday/Wednesday Winds

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Tuesday/Wednesday Winds

Postby johnm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:43 am

For anyone heading to Michigan. St. Joe silver beach is closed to riding today because if waves. F-ing sucks. Looks insane.
johnm
Chop Wrestler

Postby mrgrey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:13 am

johnm wrote:For anyone heading to Michigan. St. Joe silver beach is closed to riding today because if waves. F-ing sucks. Looks insane.

Who told you that? They close the beach to swimmers, but surfers and kites are always allowed... besides the lifeguards leave @5cst and its a free for all.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby mrgrey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:23 am

mrgrey wrote:
johnm wrote:For anyone heading to Michigan. St. Joe silver beach is closed to riding today because if waves. F-ing sucks. Looks insane.

Who told you that? They close the beach to swimmers, but surfers and kites are always allowed... besides the lifeguards leave @5cst and its a free for all.

Just called the Silver Beach office and confirmed that surfing/kiting is allowable, yet swimming is not.... typical.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby Bryce FLK » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:13 am

Meetings meetings meetings.... sometimes having a job is such a pain in the arse. Hopefully montrose holds through the afternoon!
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby johnm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:55 pm

The teeny bopper at the gate and the cop who parks to the right side gave me that lovely news. Figures. Mc was good though
johnm
Chop Wrestler

Postby FSP » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 pm

round 2 wave train?
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby kitekid21 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Wind is too weak at Keegs. Heading home. Hope everyone got out to enjoy some!
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby alarmclock71 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Gents, u swallowed all the wind by 4pm. I left work early around 4, but midway had to divert home. Hope it was good for those who have their priorities straight.
Kitesurfer in training since early 2010
8m Rev2 Slingshot, 9m Cabrinha, Crossbow; 12m Cabrinha Switchblade, 2007 Crazy Fly ProLine 137 Board
alarmclock71
Board Monkey

Postby dbur » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:29 pm

got some riding done at Zion on 11m, nice waves further out, it got really light around 2pm... overall wasn't what I was hoping for in terms of wind but still such a beautiful day at the beach
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:26 pm

u know it boys...massive new construction stop 21...thick stacked green wall....heaving, throwin...better be locked and loaded...off the top looking down the ledge with back disappearing..ohhhhh uhhh gonna commit... free fall..mist..plumes,spit...sun drenched...wave of the lake?
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:24 am

???wave of the lake??? not quite. just up the road in st joe the waves were smaller but infinitely cleaner and actually pealing instead of closing out. we had a good session by that construction site but it was better in st joe.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:37 am

sunny, sunny, sunny....20 miles of sunshine and sand for miles and miles; da Haven to Silver.....clean, clean, clean, waves just a peelin', had to look over my shoulder cause I felt like I was a stealin' :wink: ....sent ol Jimbo off to Tejas in style...one for the road!!!! gotta love that shoreline skippin', with the Bros just a rippin'.....

cold obes, with some blue cheese and smoked salmon....may I please have another........ :)
West
Wind Whore

Postby adseguy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 am

I can beat box for you two if you want.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,9,10,12 Epic Screamer
10,14 Eclipse Thruster
129cm Epic Spartan
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby West » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:51 am

As long as that beat is some SRV....finger pluckin', with some soul thump.....you know kind of like this.....LOVE STRUCK BABY!!!! two minutes and twenty three seconds of sheer bliss...a second for every minute of sunshine shoreline skippin'....... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueq62nlC5Xo

or perhaps you would like to see the man a pluckin' that tune on this live version, off the El Mocambo set in 1983 on his way to stardom....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMvusgY8PRQ

all SOUL, bruddah......what a tune to have stuck in your head for the PURE MICHIGAN experience........go ahead and do it justice and watch the entire show; his Hendirx Medley including Third Stone From the Sun is simply mind-blowing!!!!! SRV baby......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OPhW8dy-Fg

with Mr. Tommy Shannon on the Fender bass and Chris Layton on the drums!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:42 am

jensmadwind wrote:pealing instead of closing out

haaaaaa what happened? you didnt miss the section? nooo? smaller st joe slash and burn haaaaa, cmon, those waves 2nd bar are what you should be dreaming of..how much better do you want it side on a and POWER surfing with consequence!!! sure the inside was closing fast but man next break out was walled up down the line with closeout throw at the end!!! i mean you miss in those and you get dropped kicked not just butt check and move on :D :D :D :D :D :D thats the most moving, most powerful stretch ive ridden, and that wasnt even a big day!! just so stoked to live on that beach and call it home! feel the love madtown!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Eric A. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Wow....you guys Actually rode? I had to leave for work around 1:30pm.
It was a light light 9m 5 miles up the coast at Beccas beach. Im surprised but stoked to hear you made the effort. Todd g. Said it was to light and he was too lazy to even try.....did he make it out with you.

If Jimbos big ass even got out? It must have picked up considerably.

When did you guys get out.....later in the day?

Oh well....no worries still nice to get wet for an hour and let Daisy swim and chase me down.

Good you guys killed it.

I'm ready for the next round.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Eric A. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Side note:

I had the pleasure of seeing SRV 5 times. I even went to his second to last show of his life in Kalamazoo. It was killer. He ripped so hard that night....broke about 7 strings in a half hour....his guitar tech would strap a new one on Stevie while Stevie was still playing the other and then bam.....off he went again.....never stopped. 3 hour show. Bad a$$

Saw him once with Jeff beck in Detroit. Killer lineup.....ax slingers!
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby West » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:47 pm

...funny thing about Jimbo is that he is one of the most efficient riders I have ever ridden with.....years ago I asked him what size board he wanted me to make him, and his answer was a 120....he has ridden that board for 5 years now, and refuses to ever use another one even when a bigger one is available...When he goes to Corpus, Jerry flips out that he rides that 120 all of the time, and he makes it work great!!!! Kudos to the kid....Well, several years back I went to a 7m and 9m quiver, now Jimbo sports just a 7m and 9m as well. Probably one of the reasons that we do so many downwinders....also a reason why we drive to find the best conditions to fly those kites....gonna miss my dwndr bro, that's for sure...Jimbo was always ready for the shoreline skippin'!!!! :)

As for our downwinder the other day; we had an extended pre-game for Jimbo's sendoff, while we waited for the wind to switch onshore and for the waves to build...we took off about 4...TG, Jimbo and Big T pretty much stayed on the outside, jumpin and riding the rollers; while I rode the shoreline which had an added "compression" wind along the cliffs....there was a "light" zone in between the two....as always the waves at the power plant were pumping, and the angle from the offshore winds earlier led to a lot of peelers in that area....Fort Knox was stackin' em as well....by the time we got close to Tiscornia I headed offshore to make sure I made the jetty....At Silver the waves were a bit smaller but super clean and the wind was a bit lighter but consistent...

That's the beauty of the downwinders...they are always a little different, sometimes very different....the wind may switch, pick-up, decrease or stop altogether....same with the waves....the consistency lies in your partners, and the smiles that are always on their faces regardless of the conditions, and that's what makes it special!!! Like I said, gonna miss Railgrab or Po-Tex or Half-life or Weebles; whatever you want to call Jimbo on a particular day, cause his smile is quite contagious, and his stoked attitude is not dependent on the destination, but the journey, the kid's got SOUL......Tallyho BRO!!!!! 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR-jmtFg1Vk

A lil more SRV, live from 85 at the Montreaux Jazz Festival.....SAY WHAT.....it's only soul, it's only soul........yeah, Eroc, absolutely my favorite.....saw him play to 100,000 plus with the T-birds at South Padre and saw him play at Hole In The Wall to bout 300....didn't matter, all he wanted to do was to light it up....that was the only way he knew how to do it, his personal obligation to the masters he learned from..... :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today