Southerly Flow 8/17

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Southerly Flow 8/17

Postby Northerner » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:11 am

Really not much to get excited about, but with the season we are having this year I wanted to give the heads up. Looks like starting Saturday, Sheboygan, LSP and a few other places will be producing wind for a few days. Not lots of wind, but 10-14 meter stuff. Forecast has everything I like for the wind to pop, but these light August forecasts still require a leap of faith.

Yesterday here we had people out on mostly 12-14 meter kites for 4 hours. Even though nothing big has been coming through this year we still have been riding a 2-3 times a week here in Sheboygan, minus the last 2 -3 weeks. With the beginning of summer giving us a couple rounds of 6,7, and even 9 days in a row of 12 meter and smaller riding. I'll post again tonight or tomorrow morning on the situation here
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Re: Southerly Flow 8/17

Postby IVO » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Very weird summer Sheriff,we were just talking about this,only once Lsp,not much thermals this year,didnt even see small Sheriff yet!!!!

Thank you for the heads up,wasn't looking on Sheboygan,but I'll try to come up,thinking about Sunday..
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:24 am

Yea this cool weather has killed the big south days. It's been the driest July Aug in quite a while.

Maui anyone?

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Northerner » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:57 am

Ya Ivo not much in terms of big days to plan for this season. I check the Lake Superior forecast everyday this summer hoping to line up 2-3 days of riding in some fun stuff. All I have seen is 1 day of 10 meter riding at best with zero wave pumping fronts. With that said there's always next week

Today will be a good yard stick for tomorrow. I bet we will have some light wind riding right on the inside as the SE wind hugs the cliff south of the beach.
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:35 am

Caps building on the inside, 12-14 meter flatwater riding in one hour
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:12 pm

To much East along the lake. Now its dead for today
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:14 pm

We did manage to sweak out some riding this weekend. Yesterday was light wind but we rode 17 and 14 kites for almost 2 hours. Bob at Kite riders sent up the Blade fat lady to demo and that kept everyone happy and up wind. Really an impressive handling kite with an astonishing low end. Today was much better with nice clean SE wind for 2-3 hours. Guys on 17-12 meter kites with my wife wishing she was on a ten. Had the chance to also demo the new 2014 12 meter rally (thanks Bob) on the kites extra low end and it was very impressive. I was riding back to back that kite with an old 20 meter yarga, the 12 had more pull. Not missing the old days.

Really looking forward to the next 3 days as its going be be perfect flat water 14-10 meter riding. Water is warm
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Andrew,

You're welcome...

Keeping an eye on T, W and Sat. If it looks c=good, Im coming up one of those days or more.

Glad I sent the 17m Blade Fat Lady along with Greg and that you guys really liked it. It's quickly becoming known as one of the best big kites on the market.

How much time did you get on the 12m 2014 Rally? If you like that one, keep it and we can figure out the details.

Man I need a session (or 10).

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Another successful day in the boygan today. We started to kite around 11:45 but could have been out earlier. First guys went on 12s and surf boards and returned after one tack to twin tips. Outstanding side on wind until 2ish when it backed off on the inside and the windline formed. Everyone on 10, 12 and 14 meter kites and lit up. After 3ish the smart went down to the hotel to get the clean wind. Next two days offer more, but only better
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Looking forward to Wednesday. Save some good winds for then.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby West » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:12 am

gonna be good again Sheriff, nice call!!!! gotta love those thermals, will send you some sigs from the other side....
West
Wind Whore

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:07 am

Andrew....looks good for tomorrow. think there will be a push compared to i-kitesurf? I'm coming no matter what, just wondering if it will be more like a 10-20, 15-25 or 20-30. Will any push make any SSW go South?

Pass the word that I'll have some demo stuff to try and will post on the open forum also.

Stoked brother.

West...you going all the way up the other side? Can't blame you, but hoping to ride together soon again.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Kabalerror » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 am

Looking to see ya all in Sheboygan tomorrow.
Is that a regular spot on High ave?
Kabalerror
Board Monkey

Postby Northerner » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:03 pm

World class today with great wind from 11:15 until 3-4 when the wind line fromed. At 4ish we went down the harbor and went banana's in the falt water for the rest of the day. Rode the wind line back up wind and called it. wind was good unitl 6 by the hotel. Great fun with a classic crew.

Watched my forecasts tonight and I'm thinking similar conditions with some swell in the afternoon.

Water has cooled
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:31 pm

looks like she-never-stops-blowin took the cake for most wind on the lake! nice work up there! now let me have my nort wind thermal down here!!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby grimace » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Andrew

Just got back from copper harbor up in the keweenaw this weekend. I have a friend up there that just started kiting this year and he has been out almost every day for the past 2 months. Regardless of the forecast it is rideable somewhere up there. If you don't mind the drive its worth the trip, but I think you went up there last fall. If anyone wants to head up there and I'll get you in contact with the folks up there.
grimace
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Rorke » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:22 am

Classic day up here yesterday.
I took a "Powder Day". Way to windy to sail anyway.

Dudes were bummed about the light air.
Not me -
"You wait". "It will fill in way stronger than predicted." "The longer it's dead, the stronger it will be." "There is pressure to the East and pressure to the West. It will equalize, and now it will all happen at once.

Yup. It fired.

Double downwinder. Excellent turned exceptional.
The best part.....it was a kite reunion. Due to my work schedule, I haven't ridden a summer day in 3 years. So many old buddies (and new) were ripping it up.

It was one of my top 5 kite days of all time.

Grateful and blessed
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:03 am

Tremendous Rorke....what a gathering!! Clouds parted once I got to manistee and it was ON, sunny windy and wavy all afternoon...throwing bottom turns into the tangerine colored waters under the dunes on the last downwinder towards sunset...PRICELESS!!

...and yes you did...DID go fetch yourself some waves just like you said Cap'n 8)
West
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:32 am

Sweet Rorke, Was thinking about you guys on the other side yesterday as all our warm water went to you Tuesday night. You do the Frankfort to Bestie DW?

The complete loss of all warm water from Sheboygans shores really changed the wind pattern for us yesterday. Again the wind kicked around 11:15 but it was much farther out then the past days. The water was in the high 50s I'm guessing, so we went from boardshorts and shortys to 3-2, 4-3 and some with bootes. I think the cold water created a thermal block preventing the cool lake wind from mixing with the warm shore air, thus keep the wind away from shore.

With that said the wind did come in around 3-3:30 for more than an hour and the wind was good all day down by the hotel area. That got us back in to harbor from some flat water turn, burn and boost. I rode a 10 meter all day with most on 10-12 meter kites.

Grimace nice to know that place is producing some riding. What a hidden treasure the Keweenaw is. I always describe it as Maine without the Lobster and the flight. Which is really to bad as right now lobster is super cheap. Anyways I'm looking to get up there and get the meat not just the veggies in terms of waves.

Great seeing more of a crew up here, sorry I couldn't hang after had to watch the little man
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 am

Sounds like another awesome day in the Northern parts of Lake Michigan.

Only problem is:
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today