Let's Try Social Networking...

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Let's Try Social Networking...

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:32 am

Surely I can't be the only one here who finds it cumbersome to scroll through tons of posts just to find when/where people are kiting, so what is the opinion on having a dedicated twitter feed and use #chisurf as an identifier?

I also feel like lately the attitude towards location sharing on the forum hasn't been as friendly as I originally hoped, and that's nothing against any one person, but in general I find it lacking in our little community. I think it's better to have new kiters know safe times/locations for honing their skills.... Like waaaaay up the beach at Keegs, for instance. But knowing when conditions are good and that you won't be the only person on the beach further that goal of safer kiting in my opinion. It's also just nice to kite with friends and get to know the people you'll be out with.

Twitter has its drawbacks, of course, but it is quicker and obviously shorter than a forum post. I just want to help share the kiting stoke!

I'm @chi_surfer on Twitter. Follow me and/or tweet #chisurf
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Re: Let's Try Social Networking...

Postby adseguy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:51 am

I agree with all points, but the guys that run this forum don't want to change anything. They've even gone as far as accepting some donations, yet I haven't seen anything yet :| :|

I'd make my own forum, but most won't convert over since this one works at the bare minimum. Basically, it does it's job. I'll give it another few years when this turns into a real dinosaur and people will want a lot more out of it.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 am

Don't get me wrong, a thriving community needs just as many longer posts from veteran kiters regaling us with their stories as it does shorter comments, but I feel like its just the same guys checking in all the time. I don't know if its because we're not "hip" or if the process is too cumbersome, or if nobody else cares, but I feel like we should have more kiters chiming in more often. Do we have a Facebook page? Do we want one? I can create one easily.
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:07 am

We've tried the twitter thing, but since it takes time to build onto it and quite a few people are older then 35 here, it just didn't take off.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:22 am

I think the reason that not everyone posts were to go has a few factors. One many people are new and unaware to how the lake truly works with all its fine details. Besides Montrose expericenced Chi-town people don't post much about the different local spots as many times they are driving a distance. Another reason is no one wants to be held responsible for a failed forecast. For example just this year a madison rider accused me of "tricking" him to come up and costing him 60 dollars in gas when a heavy line of unforecasted clouds came in and shut down the wind.

As for the forum I think its fine for big picture stuff, but in the instant smart phone world of data and links people want to get the info they want and when they want it, which is often where do I go now this second. Will people post this info in a different form of user interface?

I also think the biggest draw back to this forum is all the little forums in the region. For kiting Lake Michgain, Wisconsin and MI one forum would do, but have like 5-6 in the area. Look at NW kiteforum it's the entire forum for a huge area and bumping.

Also lets really be honest here, this social networking idea is just another step towards getting that Gay sex app Grinder on my screen. Don't think I can't read between the lines of some peoples posts!
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:17 am

The issue that I take with that is that I think we could easily have more people if we had a bit of a more open atmosphere online. It routinely feels like a "good ol' boys" club to me, no offense to anyone, but it keeps people from feeling welcome, a sentiment that numerous beginners and people new to the area have shared with me.

There's no way to "know" the wind forecast. It's never better than a prediction, so why even begin to take it personally if someone is mad. Its always a risk to kiteboard, whether or not you even make it out on the water.
Also lets really be honest here, this social networking idea is just another step towards getting that Gay sex app Grinder on my screen. Don't think I can't read between the lines of some peoples posts!

I know you're trying to be funny about it, but it's precisely that attitude that is keeping our forum behind with the older generation. I'm not complaining about what we have, but there surely has to be a better way to communicate, so what's stopping us from achieving it? I love this forum and the people I've met through it, but why not move forward with the technology we (nearly) all have?
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:23 am

The vast majority agree a change should be done. I've tried to take up the relay baton for this site, but not many got behind me publicly, so I dropped it. Feel free to start your own thing, but my opinion is it won't work for many reasons. I'm too busy right now to look up past threads on this, but it gets intense.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:36 am

I don't want a revolution or anything. The update Lake Michigan spots map from google that you posted is a prime example of what we need. We can keep the forum as it is since change isn't happening, and instead of complaining and arguing just supplement it as we need. Whoever drew up the Madison kiting spots details is a god in my opinion. Every necessary detail, including launch difficulty is listed.
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:40 am

Get in line buddy, we are all requesting that. I've always suggested to send an email or PM to bcruz and V. They are the ones to talk to. It's like talking to your senator/congressman, if you don't send anything they won't do anything.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:47 am

We could flesh out that google maps post that you made with more details and use Twitter for concise up to date info... For instance if someone's on the beach and the wind dies.
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:25 am

I like the input and perspective that you are offering Keith.....especially the view of newer kiters. I have always believed that the best service of the forum was to connect new kiters with the area and to local kiters.

As for the active use of kiters, I have noticed that many kiters are hesitant to post, and it should not be like that. That is one of my problems with the NW kite forum, is that there are soooo many kiters posting all kinds of crap with little to no accountability. I have always liked the Chicago forum because it has had more of a sense of community....but if you are saying that the newer kiters don't see it as that, then we need to make an effort to make all welcome. Cause we don't want it to become a place to talk old kite stories from the rocking chairs!!

I am sure many updates are available, and preferable among the younger crew, and even among some of the old farts....as for the instant update from a beach, that is such a tough call, cause quite frankly it can change again in 5 more minutes, it is Lake Michigan and the conditions change rapidly, but I do realize that we are an instant info society!!

Adrien, to follow your analogy....just remember it requires perseverance, dedication, and commitment to a cause to turn a bill into a law :) ; and remember you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-eYBZFEzf8
West
Wind Whore

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Guys on the forum are generally great. Sarcasm and humor are obviously hard to interpret at times, but our sense of community isn't exactly newbie friendly. We do however have posts that are meaningful, which is nice, true.

In my opinion, that means that we need something separate for the less involved posts, because me chiming in that I kited somewhere isn't going to necessarily have as much value as a discussion in the "where to ride section" as a more veteran kiter. It gets lost in the mix and while completely relevant, isn't contributing.
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:00 pm

I brought this up about a month ago in a WHERE TO RIDE TODAY post. I asked if there was a way (twitter, Facebook, ETC) that we could do better in the WHERE TO RIDE TODAY department. My post was moved to the general discussion forum. I made it sticky, it was then "Un-stickied"... I took the hint and just deleted the post.

If you (anyone) feels the need and has the ability...I'd say go for it.

The key is to support this forum and also have a more user friendly interface. Could twitter posts also show up here?

We are all text messaging our buddies when we ride, but not posting here.

When I go on marginal days I always feel guilty when I lure someone to the beach and there's no wind. However, it also is no fun to ride alone.

twitter, kix, Facebook, other?

Oh...before I forget, and since Im over 35yo I forget all the time , someone remind me to knee-cap Adrien at the beach next time.... :wink:
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby adseguy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:09 pm

HAHA. I'm the vast minority brother, so I'm just bustin' everyone's balls

All good ideas, but it won't get implemented without access......that was my whole point
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:13 pm

The key is to support this forum and also have a more user friendly interface. Could twitter posts also show up here?

We are all text messaging our buddies when we ride, but not posting here.

When I go on marginal days I always feel guilty when I lure someone to the beach and there's no wind. However, it also is no fun to ride alone

Amen, Mike.

I'm working on the sticky Adrien made. Trying to make the google map much more complete and informative.
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Kitekid, I would say try to make a Facebook page, most people especially the younger group has FB on their phone. I personally hate Twitter LOL but thats just me. Posting something on FB will be fast and quick when having data reception :lol: :lol: :lol: .

This is what I kinda miss on this message board, diversity. I've seen post going by where people ask questions about something and 30 people reading and no one posted. This will discourage people (especially if they are beginners) to ask questions on the board. Isn't that the purpose of a board to help,share, inform each other? As it was said before it is a core of people who usually post here on the message board.No offence it is great to read the super informative messages from the die hard lake riders (I still get lost with the lake conditions at times) and I am thankful for the core people sharing the knowledge on this board.

According to the board statistics:
STATISTICS
Total posts 36975 • Total topics 7351 • Total members 2215 • Our newest member chatch

2215 members and a handful actually posting.

I really want to get back in the kite community more again especially after a bad start this season with a jumpers knee. What could we do to make the board more interesting and attractive for new and existing people? I feel this is a dejavu conversation from a while ago :lol:
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Facebook it is! https://www.facebook.com/chicagokitesurfing

I agree that the group that we have is good, but the format isn't streamlined. It will be a more accessible and easier to use system hopefully.
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby grimace » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:58 pm

It really should be Midwest Kiting... catch a bigger audience, as Northerner said, NWkite.com appeals to the entire region.
grimace
Kite Crew in Training

Postby kitekid21 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:58 am

Grimace: The forum should be that, but the group is largely based in and around Chicago. For now, assuming that the name is gonna stick, Great Lakes area kiting might be better? There's no intention of excluding you.... :cry:
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby Jimbo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:14 am

You going to make me join Facebook now so the IRS is going to know where I am kiting :)
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Next

Return to Open Forum