Let's Try Social Networking...

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Let's Try Social Networking...

Postby skysurfr » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:37 am

I'd keep all Facebook, KIK, asocial messaging "beta" for now. Don't go live.
You want the product to work.

It should be-

1. Easy and fast to use.
2. Accessible on a phone or a computer.
3. linked to this site.

I havent checked out all the "messaging" programs out there.

I get canyon alerts (txt messages) when it snows in SLC. Could I get wind alerts when Scotty G sees whitecaps?

Facebook has multiple types of pages. There are personal pages, group pages, and I think business pages. Each has a different level of access for the admin into those who "like" the page.

On the down side, many people here get oddly ill and can't go to work when the wind blows. I don't think they want to make a facebook post telling everyone on the planet that they are at the beach.

It will take a little work..but you tech gurus need to meet up with Brandon and or V ...and set out on a little team approach to this.

Research time....

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby skysurfr » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:48 am

https://www.hipchat.com
http://www.grouptweet.com

There's a couple of options.

Will I need to replace my rotary phone?
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby kitekid21 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:19 pm

On the down side, many people here get oddly ill and can't go to work when the wind blows. I don't think they want to make a facebook post telling everyone on the planet that they are at the beach.
I hadn't thought about that Mike. Good call. Unfortunately, even twitter can't guarantee anonymity... It is quite a dilemma.

What I like most about the grouptweet idea is that we're limited to 140 characters. It keeps it quick and concise. Easy to follow as well. I'd love to see a "twitter feed" type of deal on a sidebar or something like that. It'd be nice to have it streaming live.
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby dbur » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:43 pm

first of all, anyone knows what happened to previously existing Chicago Kitesurfing facebook page? it wasn't really used much so may be got deleted due to inactivity?
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Previous

Return to Open Forum