Little Sable Point 8/25

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Little Sable Point 8/25

Postby Northerner » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Sheboygan never really popped

Talked to guy in Door county same thing
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby frnkmxwll » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:52 am

Anyone heading up to Sheboygan today?
frnkmxwll
Board Monkey

Postby BishopTek » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 am

Anyone at LSP right now? Muskegon is kinda weak, debating whether to make the drive up there.
-Frank
Last edited by BishopTek on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BishopTek
Board Slinger

Postby billg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:44 am

LSP Blowing 15/25, gusty on the inside, wind is straight south, warm water,chop,waves 1-3' I'm on a 9 meter.
Taking lunch break now. Stay upwind of the crowds at the lighthouse.
billg
Board Slinger

Postby mrgrey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:02 am

LSP ripped... :)
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby Rorke » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:51 am

sucked up here. Light, funky wind. More chop than wave.
Thermal stall, cold water buffer, offshore venturi pinch effect, negative land breeze vortices, low-altitude jet stream buckling, etc.

I should have headed south to LSP. Everyone should head south to LSP.

Please go to LSP.

:D
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby mrgrey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:19 pm

Rorke wrote:sucked up here. Light, funky wind. More chop than wave.
Thermal stall, cold water buffer, offshore venturi pinch effect, negative land breeze vortices, low-altitude jet stream buckling, etc.

I should have headed south to LSP. Everyone should head south to LSP.

Please go to LSP.

:D

I sense a little sarcasm... 8)
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby Eric A. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Funny post rorke.

Ok....here we go.....So I'm talking to one of my windsurf buddies today who was really worked up about the kiters at the point this weekend...particularly on Sunday. He's telling me that there were several times when they saw kites floating downwind with no rider attached. A kiter who plowed into a swimmer with their board at full speed and another who almost took out his kid while swimming. He's like what the fuck is wrong with these tools?

So I ask those who were out that day if this is indeed true.

Anyone care to elaborate? Or is my friend full off it?
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby mrgrey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:03 pm

A new rider did drop and invert his kite, then somehow detached himself from it a couple hundred yards offshore. We were lit on 7's and 8's and he was on a 10m. A bit too much for the riders skill and weather. I started to go after him then another rescuer downwind of me went too. I turned back as two kites that far out trying to help would end up bow tied and make matters worse. A boat eventually got him and his kite. Whole thing lasted a while and I was worried bout exposure to the cool water for that long while struggling. If I knew who it was and saw him I would have asked him to rethink his decision. I believe he was a mackite student just not that long ago...

Second kite that went floating down wind was a very experienced rider whom had a turning line snap and had trouble getting in and went through the swim area. Current was very strong and the 25knts of wind made it even tougher... handled the situation as best he could....

Did see one guy on a surfboard and big North kite go and weave through the swimmers once and unsure who he was. It was as we were leaving around 5 and I thought, "What an ass"... very proficient rider, but made a bad choice. The people with kids looked like they were not happy. He had a thick accent and Im not sure of who he is...

Thats all I can attest to.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby billg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:22 pm

I was out during said fiasco,never witnessed the kiter coming close to swimmers. There was a young beginner who lost his kite about a quarter mile out, totally detached. He was in way over his head, he was on a 10 meter, I was lit on a 7. One of my buddies flagged down a boat from his kite to rescue the kite, another buddy who has now progressed from beginner kite boarder had decided to windsurf because of the higher winds in the afternoon. He was sailing near the young kiter and heard him yell for help. He stopped and towed him to shore on his windsurfer, not an easy feat when blowing 25 knots. The boat retrieved the kite and all ended well, although the young beginner did receive " the talk ".
The thing that bothers me is that the kid said the other windsurfers where sailing right be him and ignored his yells for help.
I don't care how much you might be annoyed by a kiter or windsurfer, if someone out on the water is in distress you stop and help. The guy could have a dislocated shoulder, twisted ankle, cramps,etc. I was kiting downwind from the lighthouse on a private beach so I did not witness anything that happened at the lighthouse. People need to be more respectful or we could lose that access. Any problems at a Michigan state park could shut it down for all Michigan state parks.
billg
Board Slinger

Postby billg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:41 pm

And one more thing. Eric, in answering your question about wether your buddy is full of it, I think he is just frustrated. Those guys only show up on hi wind forecasts, which I can understand, but they don't sail very long, can't do planing jibes or ride waves, and get pissed when a kiter gets 3 or 4 bottom turns off a nice glassy roller. Plus, they are probably on there 3rd or 4th Oberon. I was in that dark place several years ago, but all is well now.
billg
Board Slinger

Postby JDL » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:20 am

billg wrote: I was in that dark place several years ago, but all is well now.

Not to take away from a serious discussion but I got to give billg some credit, that's some funny shiz right there. :D
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby Eric A. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Ha!
I think all of us who windsurfed have been in that dark spot before. I still do windsurf but mostly inland on nuking days in late fall where there is no other option. It's still quite fun...just not what I prefer to do on lake Michigan.....that is for kiting!

I'm bummed to hear that the news is true. It just blows to hear stuff like this. It's not a casual laughing matter.

My friend is not a kiter nor ever will be....he seems to have a very big dislike for line pullers as he calls us...why I don't know. Maybe its a fear of being a beginner all over....I don't know. He'd rather see just sailors on the point like in the old days. Guys and girls......all it takes is one or two complaints from a non team player and BAM your access to the windiest stretch of coast is DONE kids. That was strike one. Dude is pissed. I don't blame him. He said he will register complaints with the state parks if this keeps up. Consider this a warning shot over the bow if you will. I'm certain that some you reading this just don't give a fuck what happens at LSP or at any location for that matter, but I do. I value and cherish the beach and what it offers.

Now I'm not knocking the beginner.....we've all been in over our head. Hopefully they leanered a lesson in limitations and ability. Do not exceed them at the point. It's NOT a beginner spot.

Gear malfunction....yep it happens. Part of the gig.

But experienced arrogant folks buzzing and hitting the swimmers in THIER designated swim zone...is bullshit. Just stop it.

And for the said windsurfers who ignored the calls for help by a downed rider.......shame on you. You all know better! Karma is a bitch...and you will at some time in your life need to call for assistance. I hope when you do people don't just sail by an ignore your pleas for help.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby West » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:07 pm

And so the world turns.....sooo often kite safety and beach access is brought up and discussed on this forum, so much so that a lot of newer kiters think that it is done in excess..... it is not just a Montrose issue.....it is a Lake Michigan issue.....there will never be too much safety talk, cause there will always be some kiter ready to act an IDIOT....

Eric is one of a group of windsurfers that has been sailing, windsurfing, and kiting Lake Michigan for well over 20 years, as have a lot of his friends....think about that just for a second...well over 20 years!!! He is within a network of sailors that are very well connected to say the least. Consider it to be a very serious offense for him to inquire and then post about Sunday's kiting at LSP!!!! Kiting access to the Big Lake is a privilege not a right....Thanks for posting about the "kitemares", Eroc....as you said maybe some will learn from their mistakes...

If you are kiting anywhere on Lake Michigan, be certain to know and understand the local riding rules, keep an eye out for all other kiters at all times, and always be respectful.......it is imperative for kiters to self-police, and to be responsible not only for themselves but for other kiters as well.....gotta speak up!!!

At no time should there ever be a kiter in the swimming area....if you break down then go below the swimmers, and never fly your kite while walking back thru the beachgoers.....if someone actually hit a swimmer???? that's something else entirely.....

I am an old windsurfer as well....seen several more years on the "blow"board than I have on a kite and I too am lucky to have seen the light.... :idea:
West
Wind Whore

Postby billg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Can you imagine if all the kiters tried to launch out of the county park if the state park got shut down? There is so much beach at the state park that there is no reason for close calls. I think I walked it off and it's close to a half mile. Most people just don't want to walk a little ways. By the way, the windsurfers do come ripping inside the swim zone on a regular basis at the county park.
billg
Board Slinger

Postby West » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Due to the differing levels of danger involved.......a windsurfer is not a kiter......Kites Kill!!!!! It matters not what anyone else is doing....only what a kiter is doing!!!! Windsurfers will not get banned, kites will get banned very QUICKLY......that's just the reality of it....

Like you said Bill there is ample room up at LSP.....kiters should always launch well upwind of the lighthouse and all beachgoers ; and never go thru them, on land or water....
West
Wind Whore

Postby BishopTek » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:24 pm

billg wrote:LSP Blowing 15/25, gusty on the inside, wind is straight south, warm water,chop,waves 1-3' I'm on a 9 meter.
Taking lunch break now. Stay upwind of the crowds at the lighthouse.

Thanks for that rapid fire update, billg. I drove up there around 5:30 but didn't even rig my kite up and from the sound of it I'm damn glad I didn't. I heard the story about the guy that got rescued too, that and the gusty, slight off-shore winds scared me off. The whole scene gave me this picture in my head of riding the shockwave of a nuclear blast, it looked intense for the guys that went out there!

Also, I was talking with one of the park staff at the lighthouse and she seemed happy that we were enjoying the winds so apparently she didn't see all that went down. Hopefully they stay happy because I can't wait to try out LSP on days like that once I get more experience.

-Frank
BishopTek
Board Slinger

Postby billg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:41 pm

We started early that day, I saw your post at lunch break and realized you had driven a long way for wind. During the second session the sun came out and it started to thermal; that Is typical at the point on a south flow. One thing to be aware of is the wind will switch to side off late in the afternoon.You have to really be aware of the wind when it starts getting gusty on the inside, or you may have to do some swimming at the end of the day.
billg
Board Slinger

Postby Windhound » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 am

I must say that I have been seeing quite a few stupid and brain dead moves from people traveling and kiting at the Northern MI beaches.

1. Rigging right in the middle of beach goers.
2. Riding in the middle of swimmers mostly kids. I have to say if you rode next to my kids an angry confrontation would happen.
3. Riding kites way to big for conditions putting yourself and those around you in danger if anything goes wrong.

The key item to remember is that all of these beaches are designed and funded to serve the basic beach going family. Kiting on a beach is a privilege not a right.
If a serious incident or complaint occurs there will be no defending access for kiting and it will be lost.
Windhound
Sand Bagger

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today