8-28-13 Keegs

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

8-28-13 Keegs

Postby kitekid21 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:24 pm

It's blowing about 15 kn at Waukegan right now. Hope it sticks or gets better.
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Re: 8-28-13 Keegs

Postby Bryce FLK » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Im hoping it comes back up so I can swing by Montrose on my way home... doesnt look great though....
Bryce

Six-1-Six, 951-244four
7M Yellow Epic Nano
10M Red/Black Airush DNA
12M Black/Blue Airush Vapor X
"If your getting rad and there is no one there to see you get rad, are you really getting rad?" -GNAR
Bryce FLK
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Bryce FLK wrote:Im hoping it comes back up so I can swing by Montrose on my way home... doesnt look great though....

No, I can tell you 1st hand it wasn't. :-( Seems like we had wind in Keegs but it didn't make it down to Montrose.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby kitekid21 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Keegs wasn't great but it wasn't terrible. 5-10 kites in the air most of the time. It was a dirty North wind though, gusty and as unpredictable as always. Struggled a bit on the 12m, but boosting at other times. Died by around 6PM. 5 hours of great kiting with Jimbo et alia though!
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:54 am

just like a broken record....Zion on a North, Zion on a North, Zion on a North, Zion on a North....

or as the saying goes....you can lead a horse to water, but you can't.... :?:
West
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:16 am

West wrote:just like a broken record....Zion on a North, Zion on a North, Zion on a North, Zion on a North....

or as the saying goes....you can lead a horse to water, but you can't.... :?:

But we'd rather be Keegs or Montrose! Besides, if it don't rhyme... you're posts just aren't as effective! :wink:
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby kitekid21 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Keegs feels more like a "beach" with lots of sand, dunes, and grass. Yes, Zion is cleaner wind-wise, but a great part of kiting for me at least is the location. 8)

Where are the Zion kiters posting about their stoke?! I wanna hear from you all of you! Even though I got to kite, I thoroughly enjoy living vicariously through others.
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:52 am

fair enough boyz...can't teach an old dog new tricks IcecreamMan, but you kk....check out the south launch at Zion sometime (South of the hotel).,...many dunes, wide beach, clean North wind!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:18 pm

West wrote:fair enough boyz...can't teach an old dog new tricks IcecreamMan, but you kk....check out the south launch at Zion sometime (South of the hotel).,...many dunes, wide beach, clean North wind!!

Ahhh, don't take my jest the wrong way my buddy. There ARE other factors which come in to play when choosing a launch for the day but truth be told, I respect every letter in every word you speak... rhyme or no rhyme... and one is never too old to learn sumthin' new. I consider you a guru... and of the youngest and most vibrant kind! Thank you for taking the time to chime in on these sort of topics around here! The most complex calculations, theories, et cetera, can never take the place of true experience. I, as well as many others, listen and learn...
Last edited by WaWaZat on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:17 am

Definitely didn't take it the wrong way there Mike....I know each have their own preferences and that's just great....it's nice to have a comfort zone at a particular launch. I have just done too many downwinders from Zion to Waukegan in which the wind is clean and steady above the power plant, only to turn shifty and gusty once you get to Waukegan.....

when standing on the beach at keegs, you sometimes think that the wind is side-shore on a North....but all you have to do is to walk out on the jetty to get the "true" direction of the wind, and it becomes quickly apparent that it is slightly off-shore...just note how many kiters just this year have been dragged onto the jetty with their gear, or have been taken with the current around the jetty into the harbor mouth...over the years several kiters who have been slowly pulled offshore by the currents have been rescued by the coast guard, and several more have had to come in well below the second jetty...it is very difficult to self-rescue once you pass the second jetty...

In actuality, not only is it frustrating to kite Waukegan on a North, it is also dangerous...so it is always stupefying to me when I notice how many "experienced" kiters go to Keegs on a North, especially when they know that Zion is less than 10 minutes away with better wind, free entry and safer parking!! My advice to those learning the area beaches, is to go to Zion on a North and if you do decide to go to Keegs instead, then buddy up and rig for the gusts.....and , of course, stop for the wood fired pizza on the way down Belvidere... :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Return to Where to Ride Today