Upwind Launch of A Sport

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Upwind Launch of A Sport

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Mike U, West, V, Scotty G, Pier.... anything look familiar?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e61HxV2Hquw&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Re: Upwind Launch of A Sport

Postby ssauve66 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:05 pm

I love that video! What pioneers...

We camped in the arroyo with Joe "COOL" while down in La Ventana. Funny guy, always telling stories and we all thought he was making half of them up they were so off the wall.

Now I believe.
-------
Sean
ssauve66
Pump Master

Postby skysurfr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Yes, it all seems like yesterday.

In my first year, Naish was making convertible kites, you could fly them on 2 lines or 4. They weren't sure that 4 lines were going to catch on. With a 2 line kite, it all power and no depower at all. ZERO. You learned to control your speed with your edge, legs, and by the position of the kite in the window. Of course there were no safety releases on these fully powered kites!

The kitemare portion of the video looks like Montrose in the bad old days. We were terrors...

Good video!

Mike "I don't miss my Sky Pirate directional" Skysurfr

ps... I saw a Pickle Fork board in that video. Terry had one, and we all lived in fear of getting pickle-forked in the eye.
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:52 pm

skysurfr wrote:ps... I saw a Pickle Fork board in that video. Terry had one, and we all lived in fear of getting pickle-forked in the eye.

I think Chris at Sharkless has an old pickle fork board hanging from the ceiling in his store if you'd like to get close to one again!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Pier » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:07 pm

WaWaZat wrote:Mike U, West, V, Scotty G, Pier.... anything look familiar?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e61HxV2Hquw&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Mike, I'm kinda old but still new to the sport, been kiting since 4 years...so I wasn't there when those guys were creating the foundation, couldn't be more grateful though.

Kudos to all of them.

Nice vid, thanks for posting.

Cheers
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 pm

that is a great flag of a vid. those huge old school rotations off the huge hookipa waves are still so appealing to me.

Grandpa to the younger fellers, does remember around 1997 seeing Cory R out at the hatch with his frame kite and 4 foot bar getting a big laugh from everyone while doing his R&D and then within a year of that, all the kite companies we know today either stealing his idea or heavily borrowing it to leave him pretty much in the dust. They had the connections and money to create the inflatable and move forward. Once it hit maui, as most might already know, 2 line inflatables were standard for about a year!!!...how bout that for gusts! Did come in handy for wakestyle cuz you were unhooked most of the time and you were naturally always going downwind to make a pass.

Not long after i remember seeing grossnickel at weko with 3 foils attached to each other trying to ride our light summer winds. from shackles, to nearly no throw on the center line and a sweet pickle fork.. those were the frightening as hell good ole days when depowering was with your body :D :D :D :D .
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:06 am

Pier wrote:Mike, I'm kinda old but still new to the sport, been kiting since 4 years...so I wasn't there when those guys were creating the foundation, couldn't be more grateful though.

Kudos to all of them.

Pier, clearly I stand corrected. We're all young in this sport so my assumption had nothing to do with age and everything with your kiting abilities & smooth style. Kudos to YOU my friend!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Return to Open Forum