25th annual, Sturgeon Stampede Feb. 7-9

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

25th annual, Sturgeon Stampede Feb. 7-9

Postby WAK Jason » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Happy New Years all! I hope you all made some great New Years resolutions this year. Every year I make these big resolutions like save money, eat healthier, lose weight, stop procrastinating, etc, etc, etc. And of course, about 5 days into the year I break every single one of my New Years resolutions! Well, I want to share my 3 New Years resolutions with you guys and I hope they help you with your resolutions!! :D So here we go, my resolutions are: 1)to kite more, 2)to help others kite more, 3)to attend the 25th Annual Sturgeon Stampede!! I know right, these are pretty aggressive resolutions, but I do have a strategy behind meeting them. First off, if I attend the Sturgeon Stampede from Feb. 7-9, I will be able to get lot's of kiteboarding in. This means I just met 2 out of my 3 New Years resolutions!! Woohoo, check and check! Now, for my final resolution, to help others kite more!! If I can just get all of you to come to Fond du Lac, WI Feb. 7-9 to attend the Sturgeon Stampede, then I am confident I can help every single one of you to kiteboard more this year by kiting at our event. Well, what do you know, I will have just met my 3 New Years resolutions and it is only February. I can slack the rest of the year and waste my money and get fat but still feel good about myself having met all of my New Years resolutions. So please, help out a fellow kiter and attend the 25th annual, Sturgeon Stampede from Feb. 7-9. That is right, 25th annual, so you know we are going to do it big this year. You know I can't guaranty wind, but I can guaranty fun!! For more info, please check the WAK website!! http://www.wakkiteboarding.com

BTW, feel free to use my resolutions if you are still searching for some of your own!! All you have to do is attend the Sturgeon Stampede Feb. 7-9 and bring a friend along! Then you too can slack the rest of the year!!
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Re: 25th annual, Sturgeon Stampede Feb. 7-9

Postby t bagger bob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Sturgeon Stampede update:
WAK shack has been deployed and is ready for the event.
Plenty of ice and plenty of snow.
Here is a link with map, pictures and other Stampede info

http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/mai ... flyer.html

Hope to see everybody up there, I`ll have a minnow with ya.
livin for wind
t bagger bob
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WAK Jason » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Hope everyone is enjoying this cold winter so far! Riding has been pretty good around here. WAK shack has been on the lake for about a month now. Nice to have that warm shack to escape to between sessions! We are already in early setup mode for the Stampede coming up next weekend! Everything is looking good for a great Stampede this year! Hope everyone can make it to Fondy for the fun!! Get more info for the event below!!

Here's a link to the flyer and a copy of the registration form!
http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/mai ... ration.pdf

Kevin @ Windpower put together a nice info packet including map, schedule of events, Sturgeon Stampede history, etc. Take a look at it for more info!!
http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/mai ... flyer.html
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby dbur » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:10 am

25th wow, last year was a blast, as long as weather is somewhat decent I'll be definitely going... if anyone wants to share a ride from North suburbs let me know...
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby t bagger bob » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:26 pm

Sturgeon Stampede update:
Just talked to my brother and he says the whole lake is snow covered with 4-10inches.
Early wind forecast looks good for Friday and Sunday, but still far enough in the future for Saturday to come through.
Just in case you are wondering what a sturgeon looks like, (the fishermen spear them through the ice)Image
The real deal
Another
One on fire
livin for wind
t bagger bob
Kite Crew in Training

Postby t bagger bob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:18 pm

Sturgeon Stampede 2011 flash back:
The best year ever for the Big Air contest. I forget the winning height, but I think it was 25+ feet.
Here are some big one`s from the contest.

Oops, how did that get in there :D
livin for wind
t bagger bob
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Bob, Jason...

A few of us are considering coming up on Friday...tomorrow to ride with you guys. Friday is just a set up day right? Winds look really light on Saturday, so will everything be moved to Sunday?

Jason...I have 2 wakkiteboarding emails and both came back undeliverable. Can you send me your email address to bob@kiteridersllc.com?

Thanks,

bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby grimace » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:38 pm

I know a couple folks from GB will be heading down tomorrow since it looks windy.
grimace
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WAK Jason » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Had a great ride on the lake today! Snow cover is good! Hard & Fast!! Ramps are looking great too! Wind is looking pretty iffy for Saturday, but tomorrow looks like a fun day to ride. Sunday will be the backup day for the competition. Tomorrow we will be busy finishing some set-up early, but hoping to get out to ride in the afternoon. Come out if you want to ride! The road out to the site is easy access.
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby jensmadwind » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:43 am

there will be a handful coming from madison today.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby WAK Jason » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:39 am

Had some good riding again yesterday. Plenty of wind! We had a good amount of riders on kites and kitewings, so we organized a couple of races and even a big air. Wind forecast for today is not very good, but we will still be out at the event site messing around and partying. If we can get good wind Sunday, then we will organize some more events. If the wind comes up enough to ride today, then I am sure some of the wind junkies will pump up. We will be selling food and shirts today, so stop out for some fun. Sturgeon bonfire and fireworks at dark.
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby t bagger bob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Sturgeon Stampede Wrap-up Report:

Friday: Best wind day, upper teens, gusting mid 20s.
About 15 kiters showed up and about half participated in the events.
We had 2 kiter-cross races and Bob Cook dominated and took 1st place in skier division (he also dominated all snowboarders to be 1st overall)
Dan Deuster took 1st place honors in the snowboard division.
Yours truly, finished a respectable 8th place out of 8 racers :oops:

Big Air contest was won by Jens (sorry don`t know your last name), with a jump of unknown height. looked 15-20ft from where I was.

Saturday: This was the weak wind day.
About 5 kiters rode for 30 minutes when the wind gusted up for a while
Other activities went on as usual, beer, food, music, games, bonfire, fireworks, and yes we did eat a few minnows.

Who would`t want to party with these girls?

Sunday: Another good wind day, low to mid teens all afternoon.
We had the long distance race, all the way to Sunset Shores and back, approx 10 miles round trip
Dalius (sorry don`t know your last name, or how to spell your first) took 1st place in ski division and also outdid all snowboarders.
Ed Schneider took 1st place in the snowboard division.

Congrats to all winners and participants.
As most of you know, this is a fund raiser for the WAK club, and every dollar made goes to making kiteboarding better in the Lake Winnebago area
Thanks again and see you next year.
Sturgeon Stampede is always the 2nd weekend in February.
livin for wind
t bagger bob
Kite Crew in Training

Return to Where to Ride Today