Help Me Please. Line Setup.

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Help Me Please. Line Setup.

Postby nerdmann_21 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:59 pm

I have recently got in the kiteboarding sport and am currently learning to fly the kite. I need a little advise and how to setup the bar lines with the kite. I have a 2003 slingshot 12m kite and 2002 north bar and lines (27m). I am wondering what the lengths of the lines should be (front and back). Also when trying to tune my kite where should i be at in the chicken loop ?? sheeted in, out or half way. I have read allot of article but nothing disscusses these procedures. Any info would be greatly appeciated. I currently have the line set to even the the bar is sheeted all the way in. Flight seems real slugish and it wants to stall. Where do I go from here?

thanks
Kevin
nerdmann_21
Kiter Noob

Postby V » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:22 am

Look at the top two topics on this forum:

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteb ... um.php?f=6

Also, when adjusting you should stake all four lines in the ground, wear your harness, put in the loop, adjust the chicken strap so its midway, hold the bar to where its comfortable for you (not necessarily sheeted in or out all theway), and your lines should roughly be equal.
V
Unstrapped!

correct me if i'm wrong

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:31 am

I was taught that your should be fully powered on your sheeting system...and have the bar all the way back at the chicken loop.

then the center lines will be tight when you stand back and the rear lines should be almost as tight or the same tension...I've heard both.

with your bar setup this way you will also be able to launch unhooked for safety's purpose.

scott

Postby V » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:38 am

Scott, interesting. I've never seen that. If you do that, and you depower your kite using the sheet, your rear lines will be so slack, that the kite will barely steer because the bar is already close to you and can't be pulled furhter to tighten the rears to steer. Plus, I am taller and have longer arms, so the bar right up against my spreader is difficult to ride with. Additionally, most riders like to "ride the knot" when your sheet is fully powered, so that when you jump, you're not fully sheeted in and you can get steering response from the kite. You could also sheet in the fronts to depower in gusts or if the wind picks up and still get steering response. So I see several issues with that setup that wouldn't work for me. But ultimately its what's good for you, since everyone is different.
V
Unstrapped!

Thanks For the help

Postby nerdmann_21 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:15 am

Thanks for the help. Greatly appreated.
nerdmann_21
Kiter Noob

Return to Open Forum