Wakeboards for kitesurfing and travel

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Wakeboards for kitesurfing and travel

Postby snowace » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:32 pm

I am thinking about getting a smaller wakeboard to travel with (small enough to avoid $75 oversize luggage fee).
Considering this is going to be only a slightly used board and a second board at that, I would like to spend the least amount of money.
I consider myself to be a beginner, I only had a couple of attempts on water with a directional kiteboard. Here is the least expensive wakeboard I found so far, that seams to fit the profile.
http://www.mcsports.com/product/index.j ... tId=890094

I am 6'1, 190 lbs, is this going to be enough of a board for me?

Suggestions are welcomed.
snowace
Sand Bagger

Travel

Postby V » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:57 pm

Funny, I was just working up something for this forum area to post. Go with 155cm or less (my longest travel board is 157cm). Slingshot now came out with a new board, a 141cm SX:

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/News/sxsickness.html

I'm going to be switching to this board since it is supposedly faster than my 157cm board, and planes up earlier. I'm 6'2" and 185lbs, so we're about the same.

For travel, I limit my luggage to one kiteboard bag that is as short as possible to fit my longest board (157cm). I leave that separate so its as light and thin as possible. Then I pack all my kites, scuba, wetsuit, etc in a large hockey duffle with my clothes. If my girl comes with, I have her pack two large roller luggages with all our clothes and stuff and I put here kiteboard and extra kite in with my stuff and it gives us each two checked items and one carry-on can be left over for whatever else I need.

If the airline says anything, I say "its a snowboard bag". You can also say its a knee board. Then say, your website says it within limits and act confident. You should have no problems. NEVER say kiteboard, or surfboard or wakeboard, you will get charged!
V
Unstrapped!

Board to travel with

Postby bcruz » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:51 pm

I use the Slingshot Jarvis 157 cm when I travel, and when I'm in Chicago actually. I have taken it about five times and never been charged. The only time I was ever questioned was when I tried to pack my kites with my board in one bag. They let it go, even though I was over the limit. What I do is pack all my kites (3 max) and gear into one big bag. I put my clothes into another if someone is with me, otherwise I put it all in one. You have to be careful of the new 50 lb. limit on bags now. The charge for over the weight is only $25 though. My board goes by itself in a snowboard bag. No problems so far, it might even be within the legal limit, but I've never bothered to check. If you do want to get another smaller board that you can still use in Chicago, the Slingshot SX 141 is supposed to be good for a person your size as well.
bcruz
Site Admin

Best thing to do

Postby V » Mon May 19, 2003 3:05 pm

I think the best thing is to pack your kiteboard separately, and make sure the boardbag is less than about 5'6". The shorter, the better. Make it light and virtually unnoticeable as possible. Pack the kites and harness and stuff in a separate check-in like a large hockey duffel-bag. I use one that can fit 4 kites,m harnesses, bars and scuba gear and never get a second look. The board will ALWAYS get a second look.

Also remember to never say kiteboard, wakeboard, or surfboard. Knee board is okay, or just say "its a snowboard bag". You're not admitting what's inside, but they will think its a snowboard, which is usually free.

Check the airline websites and recite the rules back to the desk clerk, and act confident. Chances are, you will know the rules better than them. Print them out, too, if its in your favor.
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Open Forum