Update your spots to kite

We know CKS is da-bombizzle but hey, what you want to see on the website is what we wanna see so let us know: CKS...serving our Chicago Kitesurfing crew!

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Update your spots to kite

Postby Kremer » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:23 am

Since I am sitting here at work bored I was lookin at your website and founds some errors. It guess in riding locations.

In st joe Silver beach costs 7 dollars a day and tiscornia is no longer free(its a pay and park "almost free"). Also silver has life guards and does not allow kiting when there around.

Further I would NEVER suggest Warren Dunes (or any state park) as a place to kite. I actually got a ticket there for windsurfing 5 years back because I was in the swimming area. (DNR are dicks) There is a place in bridgman that is a good spot call Waco beach it is a city park and they let you do just about anything. its only 1 mile up the road from the I-94 exit.

I believe you have nothing on Muskegon, I belive it is the best kiting location on the entier lake it is set up similar to michigan city with a break wall creating a harbor (with a beach) however the beach at muskegon inbetween the break walls is a city park vs at michigan city which is a power plant. So this means FLAT water in the harbor and wave riding on the outside. Also if you look at last years wind data, Muskegon would get those southery "thermals" at 15 -20 knts almost 5 days a week.

At michigan city this summer I want to set up some "downwinders" with you guys during a west or north west. I figure we could start from indiana dunes park (possibly kemil beach) and ride all the way to washington park. Or perhaps less extreme, mt baldy to wash park.

Arite sorry for the long message, I just dont want to be productive today.
Kremer
Board Slinger

Hi Ben

Postby V » Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:46 pm

Hi Ben. Thanks for the updates. I'll get it changed this weekend.

In terms of downwinders, I have been getting my kicks on some wave riding recently (I have a very long surfing background. Lived in FL and Hawaii most of my athletic days). That sounds great about the downwinder. (as long as I don't have to walk back! LOL)

A west wind would work the best, IMO. Plus, it would set up the waves more nicely at the break walls. Man, if its nice enough, I'd rather just do that all day, instead. We can all take turns riding the lines...
V
Unstrapped!

downwinders

Postby Kremer » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:47 am

V,
What up dog long time no hear. I agree about the wave riding, the times I have gone out east we would set up huge downwinders on the ocean so all you do is just rip up the surf all the way down. It awsome being able to ride a wakeboard in the surf.... UNREAL fun. Are you still down for an east coast trip??? My buddies and I are thinking of august sometime, I gots my parents extended van with industral roof racks for transport so we have plenty of room. I think you guys would love it on hatteras. It is truely one of the best places to ride, and with new REAL kiteboarding shop set up by the "slick" they have sliders and kickers just wating in the sound.

Are u guys still looking for people to teach lessons? I have talked to almost 20 people wanting to kite on this side within the past month of my riding by myself over here at st joe. I keep directing them to your site
Kremer
Board Slinger

Hey

Postby V » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:46 am

Hey Ben,

Yeah. We're looking for instructors still. If you took a look at the lessons page, cool. But if not, we set it up with two levels. One on land stepping 'em up from the B-2 to the B-3, B-4, and finally the B-5, then put 'em on the inflato for a few minutes at the end.

The advanced is in water with a waverunner. The waverunner is going to be cool because when the thermals hit, we can tow riders out past the "dead zone" and get in the lake to ride where there's plenty of wind. Its really going to expand our riding. Plus, when there's NO wind, we can wakeboard with the kiteboards.

On waves, I'm hooked. I loved surfing and the kiteboarding on waves is real similar, except for the trim rope getting in the way with back-side lip smacks. But, after some more time, I'll get used to it and it'll be just like old times surfing double overhead in Hawaii.

I've been thinking of a trip a lot lately. If you guys are going down in Aug, I'm down with it. Let's talk soon about some waveriding. Been a while since we kited together.

Thanks for sending your buds to the site. Hopefully they learn some stuff that will help them get into the sport and get better quickly.
V
Unstrapped!

more info on St. Joe beaches

Postby Timmers378 » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:48 am

Just a little more info on the St. Joe beaches, yes it cost to park at silver beach but there is another little parking lot between silver beach and the bluff right in front of the train station and it is free to park there. It is only a hundred yards to the beach. Or if you go down past silver beach and turn at outpost sports that goes to Lyons beach and that is free also.
Timmers378
Board Slinger

Return to ChicagoKitesurfing.Comments