9/30-10/1 north winds

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

V
Unstrapped!

9/30-10/1 north winds

Post by V » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:53 am

Unfortunately I'm in Canada but look like a solid two days of rippage for the Chicago crew wed and Thurs!

Miljan
Sand Bagger

Re: 9/30-10/1 north winds

Post by Miljan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Is Montrose still off limits for those without certification even during off season?
Or is it now ok to practice water starts?

xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Post by xwindsurf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Miljan,
I can't think of a better place to practice water starts, with this wind direction and force, than Waukegan, between piers. It was almost perfectly flat today, and even if you can't stay upwind, with the wind almost parallel to shore, it's going to take a while before you get pushed toward the downwind pier. Way better than the Montrose chaotic chop, which may get you into the holy land of bird watchers in no time, with nasty consequences for everyone - even if you get away with riding illegally there (the steamer is required year-round).
Tom

Miljan
Sand Bagger

Post by Miljan » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:10 am

Hi Tom,

Thanks for taking time to answer my question.
I have no intention of breaking the rules and ruining it for everybody.
That's why I wanted to make sure about off season (past Labor day).

Another reason for checking the rules is that I saw few guys kiting off Hollywood beach recently.
Is this beach accessible now, or were they just pushing their luck?
They may have started off Montrose and "sailed" to Hollywood, I am not sure about that part.

You are absolutely right about Waukegan too. I went on Thusday and conditions were like you mentioned.
I wanted to stay downwind from more experienced kiters, so room was a bit limited but I still learned a lot.

xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Post by xwindsurf » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:47 am

I am glad Kegs worked for you!
I haven't heard about any change in no-kiting policy in Chicago but people are pushing boundaries, no doubt, just check the other thread about someone kiting off Ohio St. beach!
Tom

Holland
Kiter Noob

Post by Holland » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:33 pm

I've seen the same guy kite at Ohio beach 3 days in a row now, has there been a change in the rules since the swimming season is over?

That seems like a great place to do it.

WaWaZat
Kite Dominator

Post by WaWaZat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:42 am

Hey Miljan

Tom gives sage advice. Common misconception that Montrose is up for grabs when the lifeguards aren't there but nothing can be further from the truth. We take our continued access there very seriously and enforce year 'round.

That wasn't Hollywoood beach we launched from... my kid just bought a place on a private beach up there. 8) Wondering myself where that guy seen kiting off Hollywood all week has been launching from. If it's a beach over there, he's definitely pushing his luck.

See ya on the beach!!
Kiteboard Mike
3ME/WindyCity Kite Sports
Fully Stocked Shop, Demo Center & IKO Certified School
eus@3mekite.com
http://windycitykitesports.com/