Clinton Lake Marina Tuesday March 22

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Clinton Lake Marina Tuesday March 22

Post by Hugh » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:13 pm

A few of us locals will be out kiting at Clinton Lake Marina in East Central Illinois (midway between Champaign, Bloomington, and Decatur) tomorrow (Ken Moyer, Frank Scotello, me, and perhaps others). The wind should be SW, which is perfect direction, 20-30mph, with air temp in the 60s from noon onwards. It is however rather gusty at Clinton Lake as there is not much fetch, but manageable. It will probably work well with anything from 7-12m depending on your size and abilities and board choice - that is, bring most every kite you have (I have extras of most kite sizes, plus boards, bars, and pumps in case you forget something, and large and small harnesses, and wetsuits). The water is warmish (regular 4/3 wetsuit should work, no gloves or booties required although some wear them). Note that the launch is a drift launch, but we can help anyone unfamiliar with the technique. I plan to be there most of the day, say from 11 AM onwards (grey Toyota Sienna minivan at the sailing club pier in the cove just east of the marina itself). Hugh Robertson

West
Wind Whore

Re: Clinton Lake Marina Tuesday March 22

Post by West » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:37 pm

First day of "Spring" Kiting, that's awesome!!! Kewl of you to put out the word and offer assistance to those new to Clinton. Hope to ride with you soon Hugh....how'd the conditions turn out?

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Post by Hugh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Great, thanks West. We had the largest turnout ever at the Marina launch with nine kites (including John from Watseka). Water was a little colder than expected (strangely two weeks earlier was a little warmer, and Frank Scotello even had a session a week before that). Nice 20mph winds with the usual gustiness. Folks were flying everything from 7.5-10m kites (we have a kid and lightweight on 7.5m, most of us were on 9m, Ken was on his 10m, and Frank was testing a 10m Best Roca). Two guys struggled and lost their boards, but both were recovered eventually. Frank broke a line and had a long swim in.

We will be kiting on the Beach launch tomorrow in Mascoutin State Recreation Area, where the water is warmer because it is closer to the warm water outlet from the power plant, but obviously the air will be a lot colder. Current forecast is for WNW 30-40 mph, with has a considerable fetch and is side-on for the beach, so 5-7.5m kites should do the trick (the kid might be on a 3.5m!). 12-3PM should be best if one can stand the cold that long. Sadly I'm too fat to fit into my drysuit, but a shorty under my regular wetsuit should do the trick.

badco_67
Kiter Noob

Post by badco_67 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:50 am

Hi guys, I was looking for information on kitesurfing and stumbled upon this board. I have been interested in learning how to do this and live near Clinton Lake, do you know of anyone that provides lessons on that lake?

WaWaZat
Kite Dominator

Post by WaWaZat » Tue May 10, 2016 10:54 am

badco_67 wrote:Hi guys, I was looking for information on kitesurfing and stumbled upon this board. I have been interested in learning how to do this and live near Clinton Lake, do you know of anyone that provides lessons on that lake?
Hey there! If you shoot me an email, I'm glad to discuss lesson possibilities with you.
Kiteboard Mike
3ME/WindyCity Kite Sports
Fully Stocked Shop, Demo Center & IKO Certified School
eus@3mekite.com
http://windycitykitesports.com/

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Post by Hugh » Wed May 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Sorry, no lessons on Clinton Lake. Frank Scotello has taught a couple of his friends in part there, primarily using the beach in Spring and Fall (no access for us in the summer), but most of us learned at Cape Hatteras.

badco_67
Kiter Noob

Post by badco_67 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:32 am

Thanks Hugh, I'm actually taking family vacation out to the outerbanks next month for a week. maybe I could get a lesson or two in out there...