Sat Apr. 2nd

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

West
Wind Whore

Sat Apr. 2nd

Post by West » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:03 pm

looking like a hammering WNW comin in like a train on Sat, grab your hankies and bring a smile to the beach, cause Spring has Sprung...... :wink:

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Re: Sat Apr. 2nd

Post by Hugh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:49 pm

Too cold water for most of us East-Central Illinois types. We will be at the beach at Clinton Lake (see other post). Where you guys thinking on the big lake?

Marvin Jay
Kiter Noob

Post by Marvin Jay » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:31 pm

I live by Waukegan and only go out in Waukegan unless I'm traveling, but I need my fix tomorrow. Where the is spot tomorrow?

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:33 pm

Forcast looking a bit extreme, so team up and be safe. Meetin up with a few of the bros somewhere between miller and michigan city, could get out of control quickly, so like always safety first!!

Glad y'all been having fun down at Clinton; u know it's good when da Breez shows up (Watseka Johnny)!! :) layer up and get some tomorrow Hugh....

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:00 am

....loading in the snow, packing up the truck, hitting da road, searchin the bottom.....like a buddy told me, "this ain't Maui bro, there ain't no warm waters and girls in bikinis, this is Ol Mother Michigan"!! :D

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Post by Hugh » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:03 pm

Blowing 35-40 at Clinton lake, Frank is about to try on 3.5m. My 6m will be too big I think.

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Post by Hugh » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Frank is making it work. Rest of us getting sandblasted on the beach. Some serious gusts coming through.

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Post by Hugh » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Finally got out for two sessions on my 6m Cabo, completely depowered, Frank and Ken on 5.5m Kahoonas. Two guys from Lafayette, Indiana (Steve and Raymond?) only had 9m kites, so we're rigging as we left. Tomorrow should be good SW at the marina. Hope you Michigan Lakers had some fun.

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:35 am

Yeah it was quite the day on the BIG LAKE....got to "tiles beach" bout 10:45 at Beverley Shores and saw that the smokestack at Burns Harbor was way offshore and it was 10 degrees offshore at "tiles"; not a whitecap one, and not even a shorelap wave. Took the opportunity to let Kuau run around abit, and put some pads/straps on boards. By the time I met up with the crew at Michigan City a half hour later, the wind was turning sideshore, and the swell was beginning to roll, and the windline was moving in; we rigged 6's and 8's. Blaise and Matt, Johnny and myself and the Madtown crew of Jens and Ben.

The weather was insane with blowing snow and sand, the wind came in fast and furious, the "cloud scene" was out of an art gallery collection of a tempestuous nature. We kited for about an hour or so, hoooting and hollering with a watchful eye on the horizon; the waves were smooth and head high and quickly getting bigger. Saw the stack at Burns disappear with white-out conditions approaching like a freight train....we all headed in and one at a time with help from each other we landed the kites as the wind turned onshore and increased from 40 to 50, sand was blasting down the beach, literally making it impossible to look upwind, it was difficult to just take the lines off your kite, pure NUTZ!!!! Time to pack up and head back to Miller for the afternoon sesh.

We trekked back to Lake St. in another "white-out", and it was onshore and hammering, sand blowing thru the parking lot. Boyz hiked to the top of the dune to check it out, and saw the chicago skyline disappear as another squall headed across the lake. Soon it was blowing 50 again with snow being mixed with the sand as it slithered across the beach....we hung out, ate some grinds, and talked story as the easel constantly changed in front of us: blue skies, dark clouds, sunlit lake, snowstorms, sand devils, tumultuous lake, spewing whitecaps.....finally we rigged and kited the onshore conditions for a sesh or two, warming the hands in betweeen and finally toward sunset, right on cue, the wind turned sideshore and the sun began to fall below the cloudline, lighting up the undersides as we finished up our last runs.....

Gotta love the BIG LAKE!! always changing, always challenging, always beautiful.... :) Spring is here, layer up, pump up and let the smiles fly!!

tyedye
Kite Crew in Training

Post by tyedye » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Wooh man... 60mph gusts... That sounds like quite the rodeo! Your kites must've looked like a pacman chomping on lake effect corn snow.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 2.10.39 PM.png
Tyler
IKO Certified kiteboarding Instructor
Core, Liquid Force, Peter Lynn, NP, Mystic, Hyperflex, Woo, Trace, Mountainboard Sports, Rinsekit, Surfur, BBtalkin Dealer
http://www.stokeriders.com

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Post by Hugh » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, West. Great write up. We had a really good day on Sunday with a perfect SW breeze at the Marina. Steve, Rodney, and Casey from Indiana were out first in the morning on 12m and then 9m kites in warming conditions. Casey is a big jumper. By the time I got there around 1PM (flat tire on the way out), Frank was jumping big on 9m, and I had one such session. Then down to 7.5m, and by mid-afternoon I was down to 6m and fully lit while Ken and Frank enjoyed their 7.5m Kahoonas. Somehow Casey kept riding a 9m, maybe because that's his smallest kite. We had eight kites out and everyone had a grand time, with winds up to say 30, warm sun, and relatively warm water. Unusual to get a day like that after such a fierce NWester, it's usually the other way around, but we will take it.

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:15 am

Good to see you got such a good crew down at Clinton.....Yeah Casey, Windmill, will boost 'em!! Hard to believe it came thru hard SSW after the pummeling we took out of the WNW the day before...Thanks for the update on the day, I'd like to come down and join you guys sometime. 8) keep it up, Hugh!!

Yeah Tyler, it was a doozy on Sat. I've seen windier days, but not sustained windier periods, when those snow squalls hit the shoreline it was MAYHEM.........we had the "buddy system" working good that day I assure you. Good to see you at Wolf on Sunday. WOW, I rigged a 5m, and it was the right call!! Hard to believe that; although a bit gusty it was still fun as hell behind the islands, had a great time. Good to see some other kiters and windsurfers there. 70 degrees, shirtless with a cold one after sesh was quite nice as well. Get ready here Spring comes.....

FSP
Zen Levitator

Post by FSP » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:42 pm

YESSSSS the season is on and has been on!.. that said I had no idea that when i moved to the beach over here at MC that my wind life would change to that of living on what seems like a real coast! If anyone needs a report, a lesson or just a sunset and pbr(i only do cheap beer), a sup surf, or downwinder through the neighborhood, im on it and not likely to miss any thing that comes about. let me know and here to help. a few pics of the range on conditions all in my backyard including my ripper 7yearold (surfing). kids thrive here so be sure to not leave them at home on any swell june -sept!!

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:47 am

nice pics Scottie, another "fish in the water" there.....MC looked a bit different the day the snow squalls were rollin'; hdn back down there today for another dose of WNW gales!!!! 8) hope to see you out playin' in your backyard.

Hugh
Chop Wrestler

Post by Hugh » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:05 am

Great pics, Scottie. Playing in the waves! Maybe one day we will actually get to kite at the same place at the same time.

We might get a session at Clinton Lake tomorrow, although cloudy and rainy and not as warm as last Sunday (bloody freezing today!).

We are all headed to Cape Hatteras next weekend with our Indiana/Illinois crew in three houses in Avon for a week, maybe earlier to catch the predicted NEaster there for some downwinders from Salvo to Avon. We might catch up with a few of you northern guys out there. Frank's group is going separately and staying in Salvo which will help with transport for oceanside and soundside downwinders either direction.

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:10 pm

that's great Hugh. hope the trip is windy as hell!! Enjoy Bubba's BBQ for me......... 8)

met Blaze at Miller Tyler Stephen and Tiffany were there and someone on a foil. up and down with the passin snow squalls, 9m when it was on, caught the sun coming out after the last squall before sunset, with the city gleamin in the dying afternoon light as the squalls drifted across the lake toward Michigan, picking up moisture and turnin a bright purplish color; the stack at burns harbor a luminous orange as the sun waved goodbye! :wink: priceless

tyedye
Kite Crew in Training

Post by tyedye » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Thanks West for the jaw dropping turns witnessed from a crowded car of beginners ohhing and ahhhing at what years of wave experience can look like. It just takes one pioneer to carve out the stoke for future KiteSurfers!!
Tyler
IKO Certified kiteboarding Instructor
Core, Liquid Force, Peter Lynn, NP, Mystic, Hyperflex, Woo, Trace, Mountainboard Sports, Rinsekit, Surfur, BBtalkin Dealer
http://www.stokeriders.com

FSP
Zen Levitator

Post by FSP » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:00 pm

For Sure Hugh and relish those Hatty waves. Speaking of waves... be sure to bring your surf boards or paddleboards for when the wind dies up here... The high water has blessed us with some mental offshore breaks down here at the bottom.. Sunset last Sat eve would have taken your breath away a quarter mile out on these sand bars off of Long beach... A bit spooky when the bombs roll thru but what an experience when they unload!

V
Unstrapped!

Post by V » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:52 am

Nice pics! Kudos to the photographer. Now if only those kiters would do something interesting... 8)

j/j of course! Love that first one, love that smack !!!

FSP
Zen Levitator

Post by FSP » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 am

V wrote:Nice pics! Kudos to the photographer. Now if only those kiters would do something interesting... 8)

j/j of course! Love that first one, love that smack !!!
thank you and do agree i may be the worlds most uninteresting kiter.... haaaaaaa