Where to ride for an unlicensed visitor from Hawaii?

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Johann
Kiter Noob

Where to ride for an unlicensed visitor from Hawaii?

Post by Johann » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi, firstly I'd like to just say how awesome it is that a community like this exists, especially coming for somebody visiting from out of town. It's sweet to immediately be able to find info on something obscure like kiting on a lake in Chicago!

I'm from Hawaii and grew up kitesurfing just a few blocks from my house, and am in town until august for an internship. I brought out my kite thinking it'd be sweet to try and go out on the lake if it gets windy enough on a weekend or after work before the sun sets. However it looks like people are pretty scared of kiters here and the only place to go, you have to have some kind of certification... If I'm only here until august, what's my best bet? Which beaches outside the city are good to go without the rules and if I need certification, how do I get it?

Also, if anyone is down to let me rent a board for the summer let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it :) I currently just have a skimboard I bought from goodwill which will have to do for now lol

Thanks!

Johann

anothermike
Board Monkey

Re: Where to ride for an unlicensed visitor from Hawaii?

Post by anothermike » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:50 pm

HI Johann,

What part of Hawaii are you from? I grew up on Oahu.

Be sure to check out the "Where to ride" link, top left on this site's homepage. Miller beach and Waukegan are the two closest popular spots. If you're mobile and don't mind driving a few hours, then quite a few options around the lake over in Michigan and up in Wisconsin. I'm also not certified, so haven't been to Montrose and can't comment on the scene. Multiple instructors frequent this site that can certify you if you need/want it.

I'm likely replacing my 145cm Rival, which you can use for the summer if you like. I'll be in Hatteras till the 18th.

Welcome to the site. Good luck with your internship and kiting endeavors!

Mike

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:05 pm

Welcome to the Big Lake....be glad to loan u a board for summer buddy....if u want a ride sometime just lmk

Johann
Kiter Noob

Post by Johann » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:43 pm

Guys thanks for the awesome feedback! Sorry I haven't chrcked the forum all week, I'd be very down to go kiting tomorrow or sunday. Already got messages from a few of you. I don't have a car but the guys I'm living with are down to come with and can drive me.

Mike, I grew up in kailua! Started kiting right before I left for college though, in 2013, so I've really only been able to go end of senior year of high school and when I visit during the summers.

If anyone's planning on going this weekend, send me a message and let's figure it out! And it's real nice of you guys to offer up boards for the summer, that'd be a huge help. I'm careful with those kinds of things and try to keep my equipment in good condition.

Thanks! -J

snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Post by snowball » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:41 pm

Waukegan Beach in Illinois and Miller Beach in Indiana are the go to spots for chicago riders who do not have certification. Both awesome spots just 45 minutes outside the city!
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels/rallys, Naish Rides, Switch Kites, Orange Brokite Board and Zap Skimboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com

mattbesquare
Board Slinger

Post by mattbesquare » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:43 pm

Hey Johann,

Were you in Grand Haven, MI a few weeks back?