You guy's still riding out there?

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Kitesurfsd
Kiter Noob

You guy's still riding out there?

Post by Kitesurfsd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:48 am

I'm in San Diego and my brother in law (who doesn't kite) told me to bring my gear out next weekend. I have no idea where you guys ride or if you can still kite this time of year. I'll be in the buffalo grove area. Is it worth dragging my gear out? Also what's the scoop on snow kiting in your area. I usually visit the wife's family in the winter and i guess they don't allow you in the water, even with a dry suit. I ride a strapless surfboard and Lift foil. Chi town guys can drop be a line if you're heading this way.

Mark

Kitesurfsd
Kiter Noob

Re: You guy's still riding out there?

Post by Kitesurfsd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:11 pm

Can you kite at Gillson park? The wind look side shore coming from the N, NE.

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:45 pm

Definitly kiting thru thanksgiving. Some kite past Christmas. Of course you need proper wetsuit booties gloves. Right now Lake Michigan is still warm. Guys in shortys down at bottom yesterday. Could turn cooler anytime tho. Best time for wind is fall season. Limited launches close to Chicago but many an hour or two away. Gilson is good on NNW, access is sometimes denied by local authorities but usually is a go...Waukegan or michigan city are more popular spots, because they both have jetties....hope that helps abit....yes bring gear if u got time to kite.

Kitesurfsd
Kiter Noob

Post by Kitesurfsd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Thank you for the info. I just might bring my gear. I always enjoy kiting other areas, it's the people. I have surfed since I was 8 and can count on one hand my surfing buddies. However I don't know how many buddies I have made in the kite world. Wherever you go, you can share the passion. With surfing you have short boarders, long boarders, and SUP guys fighting for the waves. With kiting, nobody is fighting for the wind. It ends up being the idiot surfers that are out in over 15 kts that complain about the people having the most fun (at least that is the way it is around here).

Last question: any place to rent gear in the Chi town area? If I decide not to drag all my stuff out?

Thank you again guys.

Mark

WaWaZat
Kite Dominator

Post by WaWaZat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Hey Mark!

I have the area kite shop, school and also do gear rentals. If you shoot me an email, we can discuss what work best for you... bringing, renting or bringing a supplementing with a rental if necessary. I can also set you up with good travel bag options, in case you need a more efficient way to travel with your gear.

See ya on the fresh water!!
Kiteboard Mike
3ME/WindyCity Kite Sports
Fully Stocked Shop, Demo Center & IKO Certified School
eus@3mekite.com
http://windycitykitesports.com/

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 am

Mark, You didn't mention when you're coming to town. I live next to buffalo grove, and am kiting pretty regularly, the wind is ON now depending on your skill level and affinity for the COld....

Do you happen to know Ben Knechel? I believe he's a San Diego Kiter.

As far as the gear question, I don't have a surfboard for kiting but I do have twintips and extra kites I'd be glad to loan you when you're visiting. Always happy to help out a traveling Kiter.