Friday 6/18

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

User avatar
chillin
Wind Chaser
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Friday 6/18

Post by chillin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:40 am

I don't know how accurate these forecast are 2 days out but Friday is looking good for maybe Zion? Anyone else here not have to work during the day Friday?

User avatar
adseguy
Wind Whore
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:07 pm
Location: Lincoln Park - Chicago
Contact:

Post by adseguy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:00 am

Yeah Friday should be cookin. Go to Waukegan instead of Zion.

I'm off to Wolf in the afternoon if it's nice
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard

Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator
Posts: 983
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:11 am
Location: Des Plaines, IL

Post by Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 am

Yeah waukegan looks good....... 17 mph! Getting the Bandit outtttttttttttttt

User avatar
chillin
Wind Chaser
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Post by chillin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:15 am

cool, the new wetsuit is in and picking it up today so we will see if I remember what I learned last month! Hopefully it hold up I'm stoked to get on the water so close to home!

User avatar
gbleck
Master of Kite
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:33 am
Location: Beach Park (down Wadsworth road from zion)

Post by gbleck » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Coolness. I have the afternoon off. Er wait now I remember why I have it off. I'm moving the sailboat to chicago for Sat. Chicago to Waukegan race. We can move that back a bit. Nothing like a nice night time motor to the city. :)
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet

Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator
Posts: 983
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:11 am
Location: Des Plaines, IL

Post by Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 am

Aint much anymore :-( Well I gonna watch some soccer or something

User avatar
adseguy
Wind Whore
Posts: 1941
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:07 pm
Location: Lincoln Park - Chicago
Contact:

Post by adseguy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:55 am

Yeah wow, I was almost sure that would push in. Now it's spread out over 2 days. Maybe saturday? It's supposed to be 90* woo hoo!
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard

User avatar
skysurfr
Board Beotch
Posts: 2366
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:23 am
Location: SW Burbs of Chicago
Contact:

Post by skysurfr » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 am

What you forgot to check was my Days-Off. (TH FR)

If im off it's gusting to a maximum of 5 knots. If I get near an airplane, expect 25 gusting to 35knots.

:lol:
Mike

'07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish LocalTeam Rider. GoPro Cameras! 12M 10m 08 Naish Pivot's!

User avatar
chillin
Wind Chaser
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Post by chillin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:07 am

I knew I shouldn't of gotten excited, although on the longterm forecast next Wednesday looks good(the day I leave town for the week :x )
Ozone C4, Ozone Edge
Crazyfly Raptor Pro LTD


314-800-6244

West
Wind Whore
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:14 am

Post by West » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:22 am

Just got the call from Jimbo over in Da Haven......says it should be "going off" tomorrow up on the Michigan side.....Near shore NOAA predicting 20-25 knots....30 knots Friday evening!!!

Trying to move some jobs around to get some of that.......

Misfit
Wind Whore
Posts: 1900
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: Too far from that god damn lake.

Post by Misfit » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:34 am

Maybe it'll hold for saturday. Maybe a day to surf!

Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.

hart
Kiter Noob
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 pm
Location: Lincoln Park

Post by hart » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Hey guys. I am new to the sport and am wondering if people were planning on riding tomorrow at waukegan. Some have said the forcast died but I am seeing straight 14-15mph tomorrow (superforecast).

http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforeca ... gan_harbor

http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/foreca ... lmz745.txt

Not sure what your guidance is on this but I am trying to decide if its worth taking the day off tomorrow. Let me know if anyone is making the trip and if there are any better forecast places to look.

-Hart
Last edited by hart on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chillin
Wind Chaser
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Post by chillin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:19 pm

So What do you all think for tomorrow? Anywhere going to be good? I don't mind a bit of a drive and I have a suv that would take two others wiyh gear!


Ps: I think hart and I were typing at the same time
Ozone C4, Ozone Edge
Crazyfly Raptor Pro LTD


314-800-6244

Artem
Boosticus Maximus
Posts: 1046
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: Highland Park,IL

Post by Artem » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey guys, the forecast still looks good for tomorrow. I'm going to hit up waukegan probably at 12.
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem

Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator
Posts: 983
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:11 am
Location: Des Plaines, IL

Post by Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:44 pm

Forcast for Waukegan is getting offshore. http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... ast+Graphs

Michigan side will be better???

West
Wind Whore
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:14 am

Post by West » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Yep, that's always the question at hand when we get into the Summertime southerlies....they have a tendency to go offshore very quickly when it heats up!!

But it may stay South all day. If it goes SW, even SSW it will get gusty, and punchy!!! Gotta get it early on a day when it starts switching.

The Michigan side should be "going off" tmrw....but you never know! The farther up you go, the more of a chance of getting stronger winds and bigger waves....that's just an undeniable FACT!

The Sherriff is expecting wind in Sheboygan earlier in the day, and is planning on it turning SW as the day goes on.

Good luck, and beware of kiting off-shore winds.....Artem is an experienced kiter who knows Waukegan well and has kited there for years. Others unaware of the dangers associated with a day like tmrw should exercise caution!!

jojy
Resident Windfreak
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by jojy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:16 pm

any chance to catch a ride with one of you guys ? unfortunately my van will serve my kids on Friday....I mite have it on Sat' though.. :roll:

Thanks
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com

User avatar
chillin
Wind Chaser
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Post by chillin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:27 pm

Where you coming from?
Ozone C4, Ozone Edge
Crazyfly Raptor Pro LTD


314-800-6244

jojy
Resident Windfreak
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:01 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Post by jojy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Roscoe Village, Chicago (next to Wrigley Field)
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com

User avatar
chillin
Wind Chaser
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Post by chillin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 pm

well, normally I would be pretty close to you(wicker park) coming from Rockford tomorrow morning though. Forecast is still a little iffy for waukegan anyone thinking something else is better. If we are going to try waukegan I would be happy to give you a ride if you could get to the Ohare area maybe (going home wouldn't be a problem at all as I will be going back to the city)

Stephen
Ozone C4, Ozone Edge
Crazyfly Raptor Pro LTD


314-800-6244

Post Reply