Montrose 2014.

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: Montrose 2014.

Post by skysurfr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Enjoyed Montrose yesterday. 10M / 8M conditions and waves pumping big out at the hook. Stopped as always, well offshore, parked the kite and just enjoyed the view of the city. A view that almost nobody else in the city ever gets to enjoy on a NE wind day with waves 5-9 feet.

Are we now operating on a ZERO TOLERANCE streamer policy?

There were a couple of people out without streamers, but they were kiting well offshore and well under control. (No, I didn't launch them)

I heard that there was a streamer check by the guards and that several were turned away.

It was great to get a ride in at Montrose. Thanks again to Paul and Adrien and everyone else keeping the beach safe!

Mike
Mother Goose Emeritus
Mike

'07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish LocalTeam Rider. GoPro Cameras! 12M 10m 08 Naish Pivot's!

WaWaZat
Kite Dominator

Post by WaWaZat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Big day yesterday... even at Montrose! Beach was way flooded but most everyone was doin' the right thing... well except for the one guy with the brand new top of the line kite standing out like a sore thumb with the thin shorty he was sportin' on the cool day with our lake still cool. My protocol was this;

1. Talk: (Convo goes something like this) ME; Hey how ya doin'?! What's your name... offer a handshake and then introduce myself. Nice kite! NEW FRIEND; Thanks. ME; Have you ever kited here before? FRIEND... very quick to the draw I might add; Yeah, I've been kiting down in Florida for 7 years... (continues pumping). Me; Have you ever kited HERE? FRIEND; (with a very short tone) You saw I just helped someone launch, right?! ME; (with a smile) I did see that but that doesn't tell me if you are familiar with kiting here. FRIEND; ...yeah, last year once. I kite down in Florida all the time! ME; Listen, we have restricted access in Chicago for kiting. This is our only beach. Are you familiar with the rules we have here? FRIEND; Yeah, (points straight out towards the water) I'm gonna go out straight out that way (mind you it's blowing cross-on). ME; Then you know about our streamer system. FRIEND; Yeah, I'm gonna go get that today at that place on Clark.
2. Talk some more: ME; Well it really would be appreciated if you go get it now before you rig that kite, FRIEND; Hey, just so you know, I am a Chicago fireman. Me; Great, but we have our system here for a reason at it applies to all who kite here. I would appreciate it if you would not launch until you have your streamer. And you really need to understand the rules we have laid down here as part of our agreement with the park district. FRIEND; Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know all about them. ME; Great! I'm glad you understand and I hope you will stop rigging and go get that steamer. FRIEND; (continues to rig).
3. Talk to a lifeguard: I launched my kite and walked out towards the closest lifeguard, pointed out the possible offender. The lifeguard said, no prob... I will take care of it. Just in case, I said, he claims to be a fireman and seems he thinks that will give him some sort of immunity so maybe call your captain if you have trouble. The lifeguard assured me confidently that he would take care of it.

From the water, about 20 mins later, I noticed his kite up and being walked towards the shore. Saw it flying on the shoreline for at least several minutes then next time I looked, it was nowhere in sight. Found out later that 2 lifeguards shut him down.

System worked!!

I also heard from the person that launched him he was sort of rude when asking to get a launch and that he didn't seem to know what position to stand in to properly launch the kite. I informed the helper that he shouldn't have even launched him... no streamer; signs of inadequacy. He agreed, admitting he wasn't thinking about that in the moment.

So even with that... great day at Montose! Later, I even saw a guy kiting out there with a scary gold streamer, referee shirt and a whistle ready to throw down at the 1st sight of outlawness!! Good thing he didn't have to invoke any-a-dat! :)
Kiteboard Mike
3ME/WindyCity Kite Sports
Fully Stocked Shop, Demo Center & IKO Certified School
eus@3mekite.com
http://windycitykitesports.com/

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Post by skysurfr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:04 pm

I wore that shirt just for Montrose.

:D
Mike

'07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish LocalTeam Rider. GoPro Cameras! 12M 10m 08 Naish Pivot's!

WaWaZat
Kite Dominator

Post by WaWaZat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:44 pm

Aw, the "kite bully" helping the former Montrose outlaw pack down her kite. See!... all friends in the end.....
:lol: :lol:

Kiteboard Mike
eus@3mekite.com

xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Post by xwindsurf » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:12 am

Mike, so there's hope for the Middle East, provided YOU get involved! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom

WaWaZat
Kite Dominator

Post by WaWaZat » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:31 am

xwindsurf wrote:Mike, so there's hope for the Middle East, provided YOU get involved! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's do it Tomasz!... is there kiting there??!
Kiteboard Mike
eus@3mekite.com

vinceg
Board Slinger

Post by vinceg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:19 am

Subject: Montrose 2014.
zulutimer wrote:Hi Vince?

Yes, an equivalent PASA card works. It seems they faded into the sunset recently so we usually just talk about IKO. They were always very poor with subsequent communications and service so make sure you get everything squared away in person.

Contact me or Adrien at some point about a streamer.

Good luck and welcome to the group.

Paul
Hi Paul & Adrien,

You said to contact you in order to get a streamer for Montrose once I got my Pasa level 2 card, which I have now.
I just came back from another trip to OBX and now I'd like to get a streamer be able to ride Montrose.
So how do I get a streamer for Montrose?
I can send you pics of my pasa card showing level 2 (I'm almost a pasa level 3 now) or just go to the pasa website at:

http://www.pasakiteboarding.org/member/ ... aCBHcm92ZQ
I'm the last one one the page.

My info is:
Vincent Greff
Vince@greffsite.com
312-912-8587

Thank you
Vince

adseguy
Wind Whore

Post by adseguy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14 am