BROKITE 2016...the Journey Continues!!!

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

West
Wind Whore

BROKITE 2016...the Journey Continues!!!

Post by West » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:22 pm

BROKITE has moved it's world headquarters into the Chicago area. We are now making our custom carbon boards in a small shop in Palatine, Illinois. We will continue to design and craft our twintips by hand, one at a time, in an incessant pursuit of excellence. Kiteboards made by kiters, for kiters who demand the very best equipment available.

It has always been our goal to make a board that does not limit your progression: a board that is fun to ride, a board that ultimately leaves you smiling on the beach at the end of an incredible session. A board that is built with passion, one that exudes integrity; a board that we are proud to label with the name BROKITE.

Our construction method is unique, and we have developed several innovative features over the last decade. Visit our website at brokite.com and check out the videos on how me make our boards. Or take a trip over to Palatine, share a soda with me, and I would be glad to personally show you how the magic happens!!

Spreading the Stoke, West

BROKITE World Headquarters
707 W. Colfax
Palatine, Illinois 60067

mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Re: BROKITE 2016...the Journey Continues!!!

Post by mrgrey » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:34 am

Aww Yeah! Not just a board maker, but a man who rides what he sells/makes. If you are interested in buying a new board you should stop by the shop that makes them to see the difference first hand. You won't believe how much lighter and stronger these things are compared to any ol' BS marketed carbon fiber board out there. The weight savings are incredible with this newest generation of board that are truly hand crafted and made with love. It takes these guys a full 8-10 hour day to make just 1 board!!! You are not just buying a board, but helping out local talent... Support your Chicago based board maker and share a "soda" and stoke with the ol' guy!

Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Post by Dutchkiteboarder » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:08 am

Great shop but even better to see the whole process of making these boards in person! West thanks for having me over the other day.

t bagger bob
Adrenaline Junkie

Post by t bagger bob » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Congrats West!
I bought a BROKITE board 6 yrs ago and it`s still going strong.
Performance and durability, that`s what I wanted and that`s what I got.

Get your BROKITE snow board out and bring it to the Sturgeon Stampede next weekend.
You`ll have a good time.

Just got back from a BROKITE promotion tour in St Kitts
Got a little reef rash on the bottom crossing the shallow reef to get to the outside waves.
But like I said it`s still going strong
livin for wind

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:13 am

Nice pic Bob, one for the wall at the shop, gonna have to get a copy of that!! I'm putting the word out for pics of the BRO boards in action, or in "leisure mode" to enhance the atmosphere, preferably 8x10's...I'm sure St. Kitts was great, and nice to know the 137 POP is still rockin' it. Wanted to make it up to the Sturgeon Stampede, just got my hands full trying to get things set up. I bet it was fun; I heard rumors that the "Sheriff" was making a guest appearance, and you can't keep the good times from rolling when he's on the ICE. Of course, add to that the Fondies, Madtown crew, and the traveling circus of regulars and WATCH OUT!!

Good having Maurice stop by the shop and check it out. He wrapped his head around our "Process" almost instantly, rather impressive I must say. He's doing a re-working of the BROKITE website, kewl to have a fellow kiter doing that....I've had Matt, Ivo, V, Pier, Tyler, Sean and Leno lending a hand trying to help me jump start this puppy; always great to have a kiter walk in, "talk story" and put the pieces of the puzzle back together. A couple of Keegs regulars making the trip over as well; Chris came by and got some fins for his board, and Jimbo coming Wednesday to scope the scene. How bout my riding pardner John Lynch, da Breez, driving up from Watseka with his lovely wife Susan, and his two children, Jackie and Myles; they lit up the entire room with their BIG smiles!! :D That's the shizzzle!! Thanks to ALL for the support and camaraderie, it's greatly appreciated.

Jerry and I have always said that "we build boards for ourselves, our friends and the lucky few", I must say it's great to have alot of friends!! And quite frankly that's the reason we keep doing what we do: spreading the stoke, and helping to shape smiles...ain't it a wonder what a day at the beach with the sun shinin' and the wind blowin' will do for one's spirit.

Getting real close to putting out the first board in Palatine. Ivo and I have begun preparing to build his board; the Trooper cut out, sanded and shaped the core, and the nose/tail for his 134 Freeride. Next time he comes in, we will cut the carbon, wrap the sections, laminate it and put it in the "toaster". The final stage will be hand-shaping the rails, and drilling for the straps, handle and fins. It won't be quick, and it won't be easy, but it will be done right!

I will be posting some pics of the shop getting put back together later today. BROKITE's new world headquarters is small and cozy, but it's plenty big enough for an impromptu gathering of overzealous kiters; stop by anytime you like, just give me a heads up so I can make sure to have a good stock of sodas, and a pizza on the way.....and if you got a pic of you and your BRO to hang on the wall, bring it; I'm going to make some custom carbon picture frames to hang 'em in, and watch the walls come to LIFE!!

Peace, West

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:20 pm

The unloading crew with board #001: brother-in-laws Mike & Derek, Ivo and V, neighbor Bill and West.

Skydaddy testing a vacuum pump he donated to the BROKITE shop.

Trooper hand-sanding the core of his 134 Freeride.

The Lynch family with West...all smiles!!

New skins...

Bob
Wind Whore

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Well done West. Love that first pic of Matt with all the boards by the ice. Classic. Good luck buddy and we'll see you on the water.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi

Rorke
Zen Levitator

Post by Rorke » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:46 pm

This is great. I haven't been on the forum in a coon's age.
But since I just threw the Zero Gravity 137 in the car, I got all pumped.
Then I see this. Awesome. Great pics.
Dominate
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com

West
Wind Whore

Post by West » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:22 am

Hummin along out in Palatine....boards turnin out awesome. Fine tunin the shop, puttin pictures of the BROS on the wall; gettin orders from Cali, Canada, Texas, North Carolina, and filling some orders for the local crew. Made the Sheriff a board last week. Built Da Breez one last night and just popped a board for my brother in law, Sunshine, in the "hot box"!! Takin the last two boards out to the Gorge for the 4th weekend...can you say KABOOM!!!!

There's some demos floating around Keegs, the bottom of the Big Lake, and over in da Haven. Always got demos available at the shop, so stop by if you want to check it out and grab one to try... Got another custom graphics board in the works. So if you have an idea for a killer lookin board, get the design together and let's make it happen. " Custom" means exactly that.....

Peace, West

BDKmac
Kiter Noob

Post by BDKmac » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:08 am

Can confirm...West, Jerry, and Derek (graphic designer) are working on my custom board right now. I couldn't be more stoked!! These guys are awesome, their product is awesome, and checking out these pics of the new shop are only getting me more stoked for my board. If I lived in the area I would definitely be stopping by to check it out :-(

Anybody who has not tried these boards, you're missing out! I have had a 134 Pop for 4 years. I bought it as a used demo board from West. It has served me well - I basically learned on that board (learned to stay upwind, jump, and backroll on that board), but it finally gave in to a lateral crack :shock:

My new board will be a Hybrid, and have some badass custom graphics that Derek and West worked with me to create. As soon as its done I'll be sure to post to pics on here - preferably shot from about 15 feet off the water :wink:

KoolAid
Chop Wrestler

Post by KoolAid » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 pm

BROKITES 2017...the Journey Continues!!!

So West, give us the run down for 2017! What's the news and biz?

Big winds are comin'!
Rock n' roll!